The Common Traits of Treasure Hunters

Stand Watie

Mar 24, 2012
Greenwood SC
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi All,

I'm still fairly new to this site but I have read a ton of posts in all the different forums. I've sort of come to the conclusion that almost every treasure hunter here has some common similar traits or characteristics that they share. When I say "Treasure Hunters" I'm including every type of hunter...gold prospectors, metal detectorist, shipwreck hunters, pre-Columbian artifact seekers, all of us. I'm still pretty new to prospecting and since I've been reading here I've gotten the fever for a metal detector also. That's due to one of those traits I mentioned. Here's my not so expert analysis of us treasure hunters and our characteristics:

1) Vivid Imagination - From reading the posts here I see that all of us have a strong almost childlike imagination. We can conjure all kinds of scenarios of how we think treasure gets to where it is or what we will find on the next outing.

2) Optimism - I think every one of us on this site sees the glass half full. We are an optimistic bunch. If there was one trait that I think everyone of us shares it would have to be optimism. But if you think about it, we have to be optimistic or we wouldn't do what we do. No one who is a pessimist would go out looking for gold or buried treasures of whatever type over and over, day after day. A pessimist would give up after the first couple of times out. This leads me to another trait in my list...

3) Dogged determination - We are definitely a determined bunch of people. Some would probably say we were bullheaded, I prefer determined. We have a stick-to-it-of-ness unlike most people. We will hit a site with a metal detector that has been hit hard or that we have hit over and over and we will do it expecting to make that 'big find' this time (optimism). Or we will pan around that same big rock in the creek a hundred times, each time expecting to find that hidden nugget.

4) Realist - Not a one of us on here expects to get rich doing this. Sure we hope we will (optimism again), but we are realistic enough to know it's not likely to happen. We don't do this to get rich, that's not why we started doing it. We do it because we love it. People that see us from the outside probably think we are riches crazy. But nothing could be further from the truth. Actually when I first came to this site I figured that most of the people here were the kind that was looking to get rich quick with some miraculous find, that City of Gold.

5) Healthy Skeptics - Along the same lines as thinking we will find the City of Gold, I sort of figured most people who would frequent a site like this would be really gullible and would jump as every scam that came along that promised easy riches. I was pleasantly surprised that all of you folks have a good dose of what I would call healthy skepticism. If someone comes along with a to-good-to-be-true story looking for sponsors you guys will hear them out before jumping down their throats, but you won't buy into every scam and scheme you hear.

That's only 5 traits that I think make up a well balanced human being. There are probably more, if you can think of any, or you've noticed any characteristics that seem universal amongst member here at Treasure Net please add to those I've already mentioned. Or if you disagree with my assessment please voice your opinion and reasons. I'm all ears cause I like to know and understand the people I associate with on a forum.

~ Stand Watie

K

Kentucky Kache

Good post. I agree with almost everything you said, except that I wouldn't call it healthy skeptisism. I would put that under # 4, "realist." Skeptisism has no place.

There seems to be another common trait, at least for a few of us. We don't get a lot of sleep.:tongue3:

MickeyMaguire

Apr 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Ace 300, Ace 250, PP-AT, PP II, F-Pulse
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
These days, I average about six hours of sleep, but, my day begins at 2:00 AM.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Good list, but I would narrow it down for the successfull TH.
-Realist, but with imagination as to what could be.
-Perserverance, but with the ability to know when to stop.
and the most important thing- A finely tuned BS filter. hand print-2_edited-3.jpg

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I plead guilty to those. I would almost add 'a thirst for knowledge' for some of us. When I locate a pre-Columbian site, I'm interested in determining whether it's a long term camp, a seasonal camp, a place where a kill was made, or just a spot where somebody sat down to touch up a few tools, and if I can figure that out by some investigating, it's like a 'yee-haw' day for me. Doesn't change a thing in the rest of the world, I guess. But I feel a little smarter, or at least better informed on how my anscestors lived day to day.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Rginn, a thrist for knowledge, how could I have forgotten that one? hand print-2_edited-3.jpg

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
To touch the earth,maybe find a younger sky,but to set out with best knowledge of what the day may hold helps balance rat race influence and assure us what we really need isn,t cement and glass jungles.yes its best to follow solid leads,but the finds,(no offense hardcores) are frosting on the cake.puzzle and riddle solvers with a true feel for past and itchy feet seems to describe many for me. H.H.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
You won't starve just eating the cake, but it is so much more enjoyable with the frosting. It makes you want another slice! hand print-2_edited-3.jpg

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Stand Watie, i think you have a good assessment of th,ers. Given the hunters equivalent of A.A. most would turn it down. Like old hunting dogs that won,t quit we chase for that taste of "frosting". Frankn, i know you know its out there.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And some are smelly

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My theory with why there aren't as many detecting woman as I'd hope there would be is that we are a pretty scurvy lot, even before we go out and get dirty.
Just one of my many observations to this hobby. Plus, I tend to be a pessimistic optimist.
There are days when I'm out detecting that I know I'm just not going to dig anything decent, but I know that I eventually WILL dig something good.
Carl

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CURIOSTY--- I go over my finds and just ask myself all kinds of questions as to its origin, who losts it, what kind of a person they were, etc. Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread