Old Roads

nightowl

Jun 1, 2012
Coker, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was wondering if any of you have ever had any luck searching on old roads. The guy that lives next to me owns about 800 acres behind me that has an old house on it and an old grown over road that went by the house. He said I could hunt there when I get my MD. Just looking for ideas on how to hunt it and if the road is worth it or should I stick to the area around the house? The land is mostly woods and has not really been touched since the late 1800. Would it be worth searching in the woods? How far from the old house should I go. I am new to this and any ideas would be helpful...

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In some areas it can be the best place to dig.
I know one former member of Eureka! detecting club found a five dollar gold coin in the ruts of an old wagon train road out here in Colorado. The coin was curved, from all the wagon wheels running over it.
Plus, you have to realize how many people walked up and down those old roads.
But in the end, hit everywhere!
Go around the house first to gain experience, remembering to try and not destroy the yards, fill your holes properly, then maybe hit the woods.
Look for any cellar holes in the woods, or any deep depressions, and dig around them.
Good luck!
Carl

OP
OP
nightowl

nightowl

Jun 1, 2012
Coker, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just talked to another guy about 5 miles from my house who had an old house on his land that was torn down about 10 years ago, he said he finds stuff on the ground around where the old house was all the time. He said I could come hunt anytime and keep whatever I find. He also said there was another house on his brothers land next door that was built in the Early1800 that I could hunt around. Now I just need to get my metal detector..

Just yesterday I was wondering where I was going to hunt now I have some good places so I will have to get my MD ordered.

Lafitte Deux

Jan 19, 2012
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get that detector and start huntin'! Sounds like you've got some nice areas lined up.
The second house would be a good area to start. A good way to learn the sounds of nails, scrap, etc.

maverick4440

Mar 20, 2003
NW Montana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunted an old two track road at one time and was surprised by the number of coins I found along that road that really appeared to go nowhere. I mentioned it to a man who owned property near the road and he said that there was a horse boarding stable for years right by that road and people rode their horses up and down it for years. Apparently bouncing up and down that road on horses people lost a lot of change out of their pockets. I haven't had that kind of luck on every road but that one certainly did produce a lot of coins.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Look at it this way, you won't find a lot or a lot of junk targets, but you will probably find some very interesting finds. I searched a short driveway into an old church site and found an indian head penny and that was only 50'. Do the road in the fall or early winter when the vegetation is down. Do around the houses when you get your detector. WATCH OUT for old wells. Some were just covered with boards that are now rotted. hand print-2_edited-3.jpg

badger

Mar 7, 2012
Divide, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why would an old road be a good place to hunt? I can't see it. People don't throw good stuff out of their car window. Don't waste your time.

OP
OP
nightowl

nightowl

Jun 1, 2012
Coker, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its an old wagon road and horse trail that used to be used to go to Tuscaloosa. It was never paved it is a grown over dirt wagon road.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Badger, A lot of people walked those roads. 1800's cars? hand print-2_edited-3.jpg

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why would an old road be a good place to hunt? I can't see it. People don't throw good stuff out of their car window. Don't waste your time.

Prior to the 1900s there were hardly any cars so everyone rode in wagons or on horseback and most walked. That is the reason these old roads to homesteads from the 1800s and earlier are great places to hunt. While bouncing down these unpaved roads there were alot of stuff bounced out of pockets.

Good luck

NJ

P.S. I would also hunt the house site first, the road second then the woods beyond the original homestead last.

ahaulil

Apr 19, 2011
North Las Vegas
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love to have an opportunity like you have.
Get the metal detector and hunt everywhere.
Keep good notes and use a grid system.
How deep was the find-age-condition?
Luck dog-all I have to hunt is a hot boring desert.

OP
OP
nightowl

nightowl

Jun 1, 2012
Coker, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would love to have an opportunity like you have.
Get the metal detector and hunt everywhere.
Keep good notes and use a grid system.
How deep was the find-age-condition?
Luck dog-all I have to hunt is a hot boring desert.

He has found old axe blades old metal tools and silverware laying on the ground or when he was planting his garden about 25 yards from where the old house was. HE found what he thinks is an old tin plate. I hope to get out there sometime next week.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to hunt old roads around cellar hole area - as mentioned above - people road horses
stuff came out their pockets - and pockets werent as good back then
I have found large cents and small silver - indianheads galore
so give it a shot - you never know till you try
goodluck

maverick4440

Mar 20, 2003
NW Montana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's funny this topic came up, Yesterday I was visiting and older man in his 80's who lives about 50 miles south of me. old highway 2 which runs across northern Montana is now his driveway with the newer highway 2 a couple miles north. There is a real steep section to this drive and he told me he frequently finds old silver quarters on that hill from the 20's and 30's. He speculates that because it is so steep that people got stuck there a lot and lost change when they were digging out or chaining up tires. I asked if anyone had detected it and he said he's owned it since 1955 and no one has been allowed back there but I was welcome to bring my detector over any time. I'll be there next week! :)

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I lived neer you guys I'd be in heaven.Nightowl was wondering what kind of detector your looking to buy.I have a used whites DFX for sale,Its an older one 2000 model but works like the day I bought it.PM me if interested,leprechaun.

OP
OP
nightowl

nightowl

Jun 1, 2012
Coker, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Garrett Ace 350 is in the mail on the way now, hopefully I can hunt this weekend....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread