How to destroy metal detecting for everyone.

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Ric Savage

boombaby.jpg

I use to like the show but it is ruining it for me, and you. I posted an ad on Craigslist and someone emailed me about the show, and if I would bring equipment and stuff (OMG, im only 15), and such. I told them no, and I definitly wont be yelling "BOOM BABY" in their backyard. Savage just pisses me off, he dosen't care about the history, just the $$$. If at any time when your digging and find something cool and the very first thing you think is "What's it worth" you should break your metal detector and jump off a cliff. I mean, yea I love finding things worth money, but I do it mainly for the history. If it wasn't for us, these relics and coins would just rot in the ground and never be seen again.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
...........................boom baby......every one wants $$$$ no matter what they say..... th.jpg

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll have to agree with Keppy, it's always about the Benjamin's :laughing7:

Let's be realistic for a minute. I've seen many people here talking about their so called saving history, but for who :dontknow: Surely some will donate their items to a museum, or at least put them on loan for a while. Keeping an item on your shelve collecting dust is "not saving" history in my book. Keeping it for yourself is the same as cashing it in for a for bucks. :laughing7:

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the history but I love it even more when it puts money in my pocket

K Zack

Feb 2, 2012
West Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab- Explorer XS, Excalibur 800, Sovereign XS-2 Pro, Fisher 1280X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have never watched any of the new shows about Metal Detecting, so I have no comment on them.
As far as Everyone is in it for the Money? WRONG, I have Never Sold a thing that I have Found other then the scrap copper and brass.
I have gave away a lot of things to property owners and friends and I have returned others to there owners. Never Sold or even traded it.
So please speak for your selves on that one, If I need the Money that bad? I add another Job to the list! Thank You.
Happy Hunting
Kevin

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I for one am definitely not in it for the money. I have sold a few things now and then, but I never leave the house with dollar signs in my eyes.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I for one am definitely not in it for the money. I have sold a few things now and then, but I never leave the house with dollar signs in my eyes.

No, but like many of us you probably wait until you get home to see those dollar signs :laughing9:

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
I feel sorry for the poor ******* that are in it for the money.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
spartacus & sonofadigger.. I am with you two all the way.................I sell every thing i find ............just to have it set on a shelf .............. and stare at it just don't make sense to me......... And that poor Mel fisher and other pro hunters are such rotten people just in it for the money.......... When i got my first detector 30 some years ago........ i got it to find coins and things i could sell.............. And i still like money after all those years......Still look for money and things to sell............... Who would ever think that i would still like money......$$$$$............. That Rick Savage such a rotten person he is he is a fool he likes money .. BOOM BABY..........:BangHead:

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, but like many of us you probably wait until you get home to see those dollar signs :laughing9:

well the thing is, and I bet this holds true for most of us...... 95% of what I dig has no real monetary value, and of the 5% that does, it's not "woohoo I'm rich" kinds of values. And yeah I research my finds, but more just out of curiosity than anything else. When I do find something worth a few bucks , I definitely enjoy it, and tell my friends about it, but the thought of "where can I sell this" is not on my mind.

I do spend all the modern change I find, and would definitely cash in on jewelry right now, but that's just because I could really use the money more than I could use a ring in a drawer that I'll never wear. As far as relic type finds, I keep them if it's something that interests me, some things I give away now and then, and if there's someone out there collecting something I have and don't really care to keep, sure I'll sell it to them. Better to have it in the hands of someone who will appreciate it, than just laying in a box in my storage.

Last edited:

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
NOLA_Ken said:

Thank you for that. I am the same way. I would never hunt with someone who is in it for money.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
The whole concept of treasure hunting is to get rich. That show on spike is a joke...there is no way they get the prices you see at the end of their show. And how many of us could go out and video our digs and get 1/10th of what they find in a year let alone in a week. Tonight for example they supposedly found a 1907 high relief $20 St. gaudens gold coin...worth $30,000 (so Ric said). It would have to be MS63 to get that kind of money and be in a high end auction that was advertised for about 3 or 4 months. We know it's a joke but John Q. Public sees this and thinks thats how we all are.

The show is a slap in the face to all of us who do it for a hobby and it will cause some doors to be slammed in our faces. But a couple years from now it'll be all over and it will be back to business as usual for the most part.

As for saying you are not in it for the money??? Why else would you call it "treasure" hunting? Maybe you don't sell anything you find but to say you don't want to find $$$ is crazy. As long as people have been hiding treasure there have been treasure hunters. Looters and grave robbers are a different story but if you own a metal detector you are looking for valuable objects...if not why does eveyone hate pulltabs so much?

I like the history and love to find non valuable items that tell a story but get real...all the beach hunters and coin shooters out there are trying to find items that are worth big bucks. If it offends some of you so much maybe you should find a site called history.com or relic.com. This is TREASURENET.COM! If I find a gold ring that will pay my bills for a month or two...I'll take the cash from the first one of you that would rather have a ring that you can keep in a box hidden away.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone with this post but the arguement about selling finds or keeping them until you die is so old. It's still a free country and you can do whatever you like with what you find and no one should look down on or criticize anyone for what they do with theirs.

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice point

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
savant365 said:
The whole concept of treasure hunting is to get rich. That show on spike is a joke...there is no way they get the prices you see at the end of their show. And how many of us could go out and video our digs and get 1/10th of what they find in a year let alone in a week. Tonight for example they supposedly found a 1907 high relief $20 St. gaudens gold coin...worth $30,000 (so Ric said). It would have to be MS63 to get that kind of money and be in a high end auction that was advertised for about 3 or 4 months. We know it's a joke but John Q. Public sees this and thinks thats how we all are.

The show is a slap in the face to all of us who do it for a hobby and it will cause some doors to be slammed in our faces. But a couple years from now it'll be all over and it will be back to business as usual for the most part.

As for saying you are not in it for the money??? Why else would you call it "treasure" hunting? Maybe you don't sell anything you find but to say you don't want to find $$$ is crazy. As long as people have been hiding treasure there have been treasure hunters. Looters and grave robbers are a different story but if you own a metal detector you are looking for valuable objects...if not why does eveyone hate pulltabs so much?

I like the history and love to find non valuable items that tell a story but get real...all the beach hunters and coin shooters out there are trying to find items that are worth big bucks. If it offends some of you so much maybe you should find a site called history.com or relic.com. This is TREASURENET.COM! If I find a gold ring that will pay my bills for a month or two...I'll take the cash from the first one of you that would rather have a ring that you can keep in a box hidden away.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone with this post but the arguement about selling finds or keeping them until you die is so old. It's still a free country and you can do whatever you like with what you find and no one should look down on or criticize anyone for what they do with theirs.

I don't treasure hunt. I do go detecting. I put my stuff on display on a shelf. It will stay that way till I go off the count. Then it most likely will be sold by some of the still living.

I don't care if anyone else sells there stuff. I just won't hunt or share my sites with you.

badger

Mar 7, 2012
Divide, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think so as well. This show is completely staged BS. I don't believe they found ANY of that stuff.
Take this crap off the air.

badger

Mar 7, 2012
Divide, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I were into this for the money. I'd starve to death.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Savant, you hit the nail on the head :laughing7:

NOLA Ken, I've kept some items I liked, sold some and even gave away jewelery to an ex gf that loved the finds. But saying I'd never do it for the money is not in my vocabulary :tongue3:

ticm, that's no problem, they can always go hunting with me, I have no problem in whatever they want to do with their finds. By the way, how many people do you hunt with. :icon_scratch: It seems you don't play nice with other people :laughing7:

badger

Mar 7, 2012
Divide, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only thing this show does is to show homeowners how to slam their door in our faces. I have personally experienced this.
This guy savage makes me ill. He is dishonest and his show is completely staged. He is giving the homeowner the wrong idea.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
spartacus53 said:
Savant, you hit the nail on the head :laughing7:

NOLA Ken, I've kept some items I liked, sold some and even gave away jewelery to an ex gf that loved the finds. But saying I'd never do it for the money is not in my vocabulary :tongue3:

ticm, that's no problem, they can always go hunting with me, I have no problem in whatever they want to do with their finds. By the way, how many people do you hunt with. :icon_scratch: It seems you don't play nice with other people :laughing7:

Play nice. No not to well. That's why (by reading your posts) I would have a blast hunting with you. You crack me up sometimes.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ticm, there's a line that forms around my house every morning to go detecting, feel free to join them :laughing7:

Actually, I don't detect as often as I should, but then again it's a hobby and I do have a few of them that keep me busy. I mainly detect now to entertain the people that watch me. I have a blast in driving them crazy :laughing7: All you'll ever come away with from detecting with me is a stomach ache from laughing too much. :tongue3:

And if you do find something of value, pass it to me, I'll hawk it and I'll give you a 60-40 split. That way you'll still have your integrity, I lost my integrity years ago and no detector made will ever find it. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread