For those of you detecting in Indiana

pjduff

Mar 3, 2012
Madison, IN
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-x, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I work at Clifty Falls State Park in Southern Indiana and recently within the past couple of months or so we have been finding many unfilled dig holes and dug trash such as old cans, bottlecaps, pull tabs etc all over the grounds. Just for general knowledge, metal detecting on DNR properties in Indiana is illegal except on a sand or swimming beach with a permit obtained from the property manager, or during authorized hunts such as Treasure Fest in designated areas only. I have worked at this park for a number of years, and I have never seen it this bad before. The state parks here in IN are starting to crack down on our hobby, mainly because of people coming in at night and not filling their holes properly and leaving the trash they dig up laying around. C'mon people I've been detecting for over 20 yrs and doing things like this is how our hobby keeps getting banned from more and more places.

From the in.gov website:
312 IAC 8-2-10 Preservation of habitat and natural and cultural resources
Authority: IC 14-10-2-4; IC 14-11-2-1
Affected: IC 14
Sec. 10. Except as authorized by a license, a person must not do any of the following within a DNR property:
(7) Use a metal detector, except on a sand, swimming beach as approved by an authorized representative.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't give :thumbsup: often, but in your case you have 3 posts, with 3 :thumbsup: a perfect batting average :laughing7:

You made some very valid points, and I hope people take heed of your warning for everyone's sake.

MickeyMaguire

Apr 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Ace 300, Ace 250, PP-AT, PP II, F-Pulse
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:icon_thumleft:

I second the motion. Well said.

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah me to the only place i have to hunt around here is a park

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This just sucks!

I am in southern Indiana as well, about 40 miles west from Madison in Floyd County. The same thing is happening out here. I was recently talking to the grounds keeper of the local fairgrounds (privately owned), who said people had been doing the exact same thing. Digging holes and leaving them, throwing the trash they dig back onto the ground, and making a mess in general. He actually caught the guys doing it, approached them and told them to clean up their mess, and the guy was real mouthy with him, resulting in the police being called. A black eye to our hobby for sure, and pretty much ruined the chances of me or anyone else ever detecting at the grounds.

Per the Dnr regulations: "Sec. 10. Except as authorized by a license, a person must not do any of the following within a DNR property:
(7) Use a metal detector, except on a sand, swimming beach as approved by an authorized representative."

What is this license that this regulation is referring to?

I have plenty of private property to keep me busy for a while, but eventually that will run out. Most of the other places around me are DNR owned or off limit parks. Sadly enough, it may be time to find a new hobby in the near future, when there are no more good places left to hunt.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
I don't see buying another detector any time soon. Why buy if we get banned from every where.

OP
OP
pjduff

pjduff

Mar 3, 2012
Madison, IN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This just sucks!

I am in southern Indiana as well, about 40 miles west from Madison in Floyd County. The same thing is happening out here. I was recently talking to the grounds keeper of the local fairgrounds (privately owned), who said people had been doing the exact same thing. Digging holes and leaving them, throwing the trash they dig back onto the ground, and making a mess in general. He actually caught the guys doing it, approached them and told them to clean up their mess, and the guy was real mouthy with him, resulting in the police being called. A black eye to our hobby for sure, and pretty much ruined the chances of me or anyone else ever detecting at the grounds.

Per the Dnr regulations: "Sec. 10. Except as authorized by a license, a person must not do any of the following within a DNR property:
(7) Use a metal detector, except on a sand, swimming beach as approved by an authorized representative."

What is this license that this regulation is referring to?

I have plenty of private property to keep me busy for a while, but eventually that will run out. Most of the other places around me are DNR owned or off limit parks. Sadly enough, it may be time to find a new hobby in the near future, when there are no more good places left to hunt.

From what I have been told, you can metal detect at the DNR properties in Indiana that have sand beaches or swimming beaches. The required permit for doing so can be obtained from the property managers of those properties. At Clifty Falls, we would usually overlook it when we saw someone metal detecting, as long as they were doing it in a common use area such as the campground or picnic areas, and as long as they were being neat about it. Since the latest incident, we have been told to tell people to move on if we catch them metal detecting, and if they don't want to leave to call the local police or conservation officer.

dweaver02

Greenie
May 6, 2015
Hanover, IN
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
PJDuff I live in Hanover message me if you would like to go out hunting sometime. Nice to see someone close.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ban those freaking NITWIT MD TV shows.. just encourages the brainless dim wits in TV land to buy a MD and dig holes looking for all that fake planted treasure they see on TV..

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting, I Pmed you a few years ago Duff about this and never heard back. Will say though after talking with Madison police they told me all city parks are ok to detect. This was a about two years ago so suff might of changed. Pulled a silver Washington from J.P. Park in my 1 1/2 hour hunt, so there is still cool finds out there.. Lots of good rich history in Madison. Just wanted to add that police told me Ohio river beach is off limits because technically Kentucky owns the river and Madison beaches. That's what I was told just want to share so others don't have police telling them.

Last edited:

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PJDuff I live in Hanover message me if you would like to go out hunting sometime. Nice to see someone close.

Hay dweaver02 of duff doesn't get back with you, I would have no problem meeting up for a hunt around Hanover or Madison area. Thing is I live in Northern Illinois and only in area half dozen times a year. Let me know and good luck don't get disappointed if your not meeting your goals , like you might of first anticipated. It takes time and the AT is a good machine.

OP
OP
pjduff

pjduff

Mar 3, 2012
Madison, IN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, nice to see a digger so close by!! Sorry I haven't replied sooner, I don't get on here that much recently. I actually haven't been metal detecting in probably about a year now, I just can't seem to find the time. I have been working a lot of overtime recently, and my wife is currently in Afghanistan, so I have been really busy lately!! If I do get a chance to get out, I will definitely let you know!!

OP
OP
pjduff

pjduff

Mar 3, 2012
Madison, IN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting, I Pmed you a few years ago Duff about this and never heard back. Will say though after talking with Madison police they told me all city parks are ok to detect. This was a about two years ago so suff might of changed. Pulled a silver Washington from J.P. Park in my 1 1/2 hour hunt, so there is still cool finds out there.. Lots of good rich history in Madison. Just wanted to add that police told me Ohio river beach is off limits because technically Kentucky owns the river and Madison beaches. That's what I was told just want to share so others don't have police telling them.
Yeah, I just looked through my messages and saw yours, I don't know what happened and why I didn't reply, sorry about that!! As far as I know, yes all city parks are ok to detect. I was referring to Clifty Falls State Park in my original post, which falls under state jurisdiction and is therefore off limits.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread