Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By pjduff

Thread: For those of you detecting in Indiana

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Metal Detecting For 23 Years

Mar 2012
    Madison, IN
    Fisher 1266-x, Garrett Ace 350
    129 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

For those of you detecting in Indiana

I work at Clifty Falls State Park in Southern Indiana and recently within the past couple of months or so we have been finding many unfilled dig holes and dug trash such as old cans, bottlecaps, pull tabs etc all over the grounds. Just for general knowledge, metal detecting on DNR properties in Indiana is illegal except on a sand or swimming beach with a permit obtained from the property manager, or during authorized hunts such as Treasure Fest in designated areas only. I have worked at this park for a number of years, and I have never seen it this bad before. The state parks here in IN are starting to crack down on our hobby, mainly because of people coming in at night and not filling their holes properly and leaving the trash they dig up laying around. C'mon people I've been detecting for over 20 yrs and doing things like this is how our hobby keeps getting banned from more and more places.

From the in.gov website:
    312 IAC 8-2-10 Preservation of habitat and natural and cultural resources
    Authority: IC 14-10-2-4; IC 14-11-2-1
    Affected: IC 14
    Sec. 10. Except as authorized by a license, a person must not do any of the following within a DNR property:
    (7) Use a metal detector, except on a sand, swimming beach as approved by an authorized representative.
    spartacus53 and KYBourbon like this.

us
    Jul 2009
    Whiting, NJ
    Ace 250
    993 times
    I don't give often, but in your case you have 3 posts, with 3 a perfect batting average

You made some very valid points, and I hope people take heed of your warning for everyone's sake.

us
    Apr 2012
    Tesoro Bandito II, Garrett Ace 250, BH LandStar, Time Rander, Discovery 3000, Tracker IV, Discovery 1000, QuickDrawII, Fisher F2.
    67 times
    Metal Detecting

I second the motion. Well said.
    If you can't do great things, do small things in a great way. ~Napoleon Hill

us
    I LIKE SHINY THINGS

Apr 2012
    SOMEWHERE
    MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
    556 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    yeah me to the only place i have to hunt around here is a park
    ITS NOT HOW BIG YOUR COIL IS ITS HOW YOU SWING IT..

Common sense is so rare these days it should be classified as a super power

YOUTUBE LINK-http://www.youtube.com/user/shannonjeanne1?feature=mhee

us
    Feb 2012
    God's Country
    Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
    233 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    This just sucks!

I am in southern Indiana as well, about 40 miles west from Madison in Floyd County. The same thing is happening out here. I was recently talking to the grounds keeper of the local fairgrounds (privately owned), who said people had been doing the exact same thing. Digging holes and leaving them, throwing the trash they dig back onto the ground, and making a mess in general. He actually caught the guys doing it, approached them and told them to clean up their mess, and the guy was real mouthy with him, resulting in the police being called. A black eye to our hobby for sure, and pretty much ruined the chances of me or anyone else ever detecting at the grounds.

Per the Dnr regulations: "Sec. 10. Except as authorized by a license, a person must not do any of the following within a DNR property:
    (7) Use a metal detector, except on a sand, swimming beach as approved by an authorized representative."

What is this license that this regulation is referring to?

I have plenty of private property to keep me busy for a while, but eventually that will run out. Most of the other places around me are DNR owned or off limit parks. Sadly enough, it may be time to find a new hobby in the near future, when there are no more good places left to hunt.

us
    Sep 2007
    New Jersey
    Whites V3i and DFX
    790 times
    I don't see buying another detector any time soon. Why buy if we get banned from every where.

Charter Member
    us
    Metal Detecting For 23 Years

Mar 2012
    Madison, IN
    Fisher 1266-x, Garrett Ace 350
    129 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy S View Post
    This just sucks!

I am in southern Indiana as well, about 40 miles west from Madison in Floyd County. The same thing is happening out here. I was recently talking to the grounds keeper of the local fairgrounds (privately owned), who said people had been doing the exact same thing. Digging holes and leaving them, throwing the trash they dig back onto the ground, and making a mess in general. He actually caught the guys doing it, approached them and told them to clean up their mess, and the guy was real mouthy with him, resulting in the police being called. A black eye to our hobby for sure, and pretty much ruined the chances of me or anyone else ever detecting at the grounds.

Per the Dnr regulations: "Sec. 10. Except as authorized by a license, a person must not do any of the following within a DNR property:
    (7) Use a metal detector, except on a sand, swimming beach as approved by an authorized representative."

What is this license that this regulation is referring to?

I have plenty of private property to keep me busy for a while, but eventually that will run out. Most of the other places around me are DNR owned or off limit parks. Sadly enough, it may be time to find a new hobby in the near future, when there are no more good places left to hunt.
    From what I have been told, you can metal detect at the DNR properties in Indiana that have sand beaches or swimming beaches. The required permit for doing so can be obtained from the property managers of those properties. At Clifty Falls, we would usually overlook it when we saw someone metal detecting, as long as they were doing it in a common use area such as the campground or picnic areas, and as long as they were being neat about it. Since the latest incident, we have been told to tell people to move on if we catch them metal detecting, and if they don't want to leave to call the local police or conservation officer.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors