Connecticut detecting laws!?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Apr 2012
    Central connecticut
    48 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    So I've been detecting state forests and parks for a few months , unknowingly been breaking the law, I just read I am allowed to detect but I can't dig, how many people here actually follow this rule? Because I have no private property to detect I need to go to state lands..., I've just never heard of anyone getti g in trouble for metal detecting in ct
    Has anyone ever heard of this in CT?
    Last edited by DanTheNewbie; Jun 10, 2012 at 06:42 PM.

us
    Aug 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA.
    White's Vision, White's 6000DI Pro
    58 times
    Don't think I'd be posting my illegal activities on a public forum, let alone anyone on here condoning your activities. Just gives us a black eye and makes us look like criminals.

Al
    I think...therefore I am.

us
    Dec 2006
    NEPA
    Tejon, Cibola, T2
    1215 times
    You need to go to state land? Can't you ask permission to hunt private property, or hunt legal public land owned by towns or municipalities like everyone else? It is bad enough to unknowingly break the law, but to do it intentionally?

us
    Sep 2007
    New Jersey
    Whites V3i and DFX
    798 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DanTheNewbie
    So I've been detecting state forests and parks for a few months , unknowingly been breaking the law, I just read I am allowed to detect but I can't dig, how many people here actually follow this rule? Because I have no private property to detect I need to go to state lands...I'm going today too haha, I've just never heard of anyone getti g in trouble for metal detecting in ct
    Has anyone ever heard of this in CT?

Your on your way to having a criminal record if you don't already have one.

us
    Apr 2012
    North Central Nebraska
    Whites Spectrum XLT Ace350 Pioneer Bounty Hunter 202
    44 times
    I know I for one wouldn't risk being arrested, having my MD confiscated not to mention they can take your car as well...

Apr 2012
    Central connecticut
    48 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ticm

Your on your way to having a criminal record if you don't already have one.
    Really?? Lol tons of people hunt the state forest around here, law states I can detect but not dig, I detect rock walls no digging required, you guys are crazy! Haha

Apr 2012
    Central connecticut
    48 times
    I posted before about going to new gate state forest and wanting to detect the rock walls, I have in the past brought a shovel an such but now I know not too, I'm just trying to say that it's a craZy law.. So how are people allowed to hunt baseball fields and parks I see it all over this forum and no one calls anyone out? Lol

us
    Sep 2007
    New Jersey
    Whites V3i and DFX
    798 times

Really?? Lol tons of people hunt the state forest around here, law states I can detect but not dig, I detect rock walls no digging required, you guys are crazy! Haha

Crazy, maybe. Will I get arrested doing something illegal using a detector no. Tons of people rob banks. So go for it.
    Last edited by ticm; Jun 10, 2012 at 05:01 PM.

us
    Sep 2007
    New Jersey
    Whites V3i and DFX
    798 times
    I posted before about going to new gate state forest and wanting to detect the rock walls, I have in the past brought a shovel an such but now I know not too, I'm just trying to say that it's a craZy law.. So how are people allowed to hunt baseball fields and parks I see it all over this forum and no one calls anyone out? Lol
    Are they public land. If so most places allow it.

Apr 2012
    Central connecticut
    48 times
    Quote Originally Posted by l.cutler
    You need to go to state land? Can't you ask permission to hunt private property, or hunt legal public land owned by towns or municipalities like everyone else? It is bad enough to unknowingly break the law, but to do it intentionally?
    So town parks are usually ok? Unless that town has a metal detecting ban? I know a few are off limits

us
    Mar 2010
    Florida
    ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
    4751 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Do some reserarch on where you can and cant hunt...dont call and ask because you will get a no...if it doesnt say detecting is iligal then hunt it...in the case of no digging in state parks, dont dig. Pretty simple. People are coming down hard on you because you said youve been breaking the law and were going back to do it again today. Most people that break a law dont brag about it.
    Last edited by lookindown; Jun 10, 2012 at 06:14 PM.

us
    Apr 2012
    North Central Nebraska
    44 times
    Thats why you research. If md'ing and digging aren't specifically addressed then go to it. How do you retrieve items you find in the walls??

us
    Apr 2012
    North Central Nebraska
    44 times

So town parks are usually ok? Unless that town has a metal detecting ban? I know a few are off limits
    Yes unless local laws say otherwise or a sign is posted

Apr 2012
    Central connecticut
    48 times
    Quote Originally Posted by QuarterMaster
    Thats why you research. If md'ing and digging aren't specifically addressed then go to it. How do you retrieve items you find in the walls??
    I carefully remove stones and put them back, I think I'm done doing it , all I ever find are beer cans haha

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    10080 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    All you guys who tell poor Dan to try city and county level public land (verses state-owned land) simply because the "state land doesn't allow digging", are forgetting something very important:

SO TOO DOES CITY AND COUNTY land forbid you from "digging in the parks" too.

If you doubt me, read into the minutia of any city and county parks rules, wherever you come to. Certainly there will be *something* there about either "digging" or "altering" or "defacement" or "removing" or some such verbage. So you see then, the reason why you *think* it's ok at city and county park where none of us have ever been bothered before, is you simply have not asked enough questions, of enough bureaucrats, with the right combination of buzzwords! And even if you got someone to say "sure, go ahead, as long as you fill your holes", simply means you have found someone to bend the rules for you. Because I gaurantee you, the rules are there for ANY public level land.

This Connecticut thing may about "no digging", may be a bit like spitting on sidewalk rules, or don't remove mattress tags kind of thing. I mean, C'MON, if you're out in the middle of nowhere, does anyone really give a durn or care or see? Sure, don't snoop around obvious historic monuments, or be in the middle of craters on manicured ballfields when gardeners are there for the day, sheesk. (which stands to reason even at city or county level parks, I mean, let's be realistic).

Here's a similar thread, as it concerns state of CA beaches (but the point *could* be similar to this Conn. land post):

An example of why NOT to ask at innocuous public places (Long)
    Last edited by Tom_in_CA; Jun 11, 2012 at 08:10 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links