Old Coal Mines

nightowl

Jun 1, 2012
Coker, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am going to be heading up to PA in a few weeks and was wondering what kinda luck you experienced hunter think I will have around an old coal mine or if anybody has ever used a medal detector at one. There are a few of the old building still there and an old store and some old bunk houses. I know I will probably find a bunch of old scrap metal but am hoping to find other stuff to. My wifes family owns the old mine and it has not been used in years. I do not know all the history on it yet but I know her grandfather purchased it in the 30"s and it was a running mine when he purchased it. It is behind a locked gate and nobody that they know of has ever searched the area with a metal detector, I am sure it probably has but I can get inside all the old building and into the cellars and stuff.

I am also going to be able to search her grandfathers old home place. Nobody lives there now but her cousin lives on the same property about 200 yards from the old house. they have never let anybody search on the land before, nobody has ever asked. My father in law has told me that his father was a horder and kept all his money at the house and never used a bank. He paid all his mine workers in cash and kept silver and gold in jars at the house hidden around. I am hoping to find some burried around the house.

I CAN"S WAIT TO GET STARTED!!!!!!!!

Kevo_DFX

Sep 5, 2008
Greensburg, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX
My advice would be to avoid the areas around the mines and ovens themselves. The will be filled with junk metal and industrial slag for the coking process. No fun to detect at all.

However, the store and bunkhouses, and residences; especially if they truly are unsearched, would be a great place to detect.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Detected the old Natrona mine a few times. Found some of the old rail car spikes, a couple miner tags, the brass ring to a candle holder, some big iron tool of some sort, some other random chunks of iron. Nothing banner worthy but interesting finds.

There is a website dedicated to a lot of the Pennsylvania Miners of yore. Has lists of who worked the mines, who got hurt or killed and how. Interesting read. Not sure of the link but imagine if you google it you'll find it. It'll be the site with the bagpipe music playing.:thumbsup:

Al

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may be able to help yah .....but before you start remember they had blasting caps & they buried them in there yards ( afraid they would explode in house) I currently hunt an old coal mine here in Pa. what part of the state are you looking at?

Steveo

Jun 12, 2012
upstate Ny
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett gtp1350, Garrett ace150, Whites M6, Whites XLT, Whites QTX, Tesoro Silver Umax,
(RETIRED> ☆Whites Coinmaster TR, ☆Whites Coinmaster 2 TR AM)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use to hunt in old mine yards back in W.va with my dad when I was just a kid in the 70's.We did find alot of scrap in some spots but we also found coins and even the old plug money,usually found around the company store or miners row "houses"
Sounds like fun your going to have.Be safe and good luck & happy hunting.

OP
OP
nightowl

nightowl

Jun 1, 2012
Coker, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I may be able to help yah .....but before you start remember they had blasting caps & they buried them in there yards ( afraid they would explode in house) I currently hunt an old coal mine here in Pa. what part of the state are you looking at?

Its around Butler, PA. Not sure exactly where it is in Butler because I have only been there a few times and I have seen the mine once a couple of years ago.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread