American Digger Magazine

kshollywood

Jul 15, 2010
Brandon,ms
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS WS5 with 11" coil,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Whites VX3, whites DFX, MINELAB xterra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi Kevin,
Your rude email doesn't really deserve an answer, but here goes:

You must be completely out of the loop as much publicity about this has been
on many detecting forums, facebook, our internet radio show, in the
magazine, and even on national news reports.

I'm guessing you are not a subscriber to American Digger, since those who do
read the magazine know the whole story.

I suggest you do your research if the subject matters to you and you will
learn the history of the TV show which shares our name. The disclaimer is
correct.

Anita Holcombe
Marketing/Circulation Director
www.americandigger.com
770-362-8671

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, June 10, 2012 12:36 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: online contact information

Your disclaimer is crap, that show is a disgrace and your name is on it!!!!!

Sent from Kevin's iPhone

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Magazine had the name before the TV show

unfortunately, I Guess American Digger Magazine
has no legal right to the name or they would be forcing the show to change theirs.

OP
OP
kshollywood

kshollywood

Jul 15, 2010
Brandon,ms
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS WS5 with 11" coil,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Whites VX3, whites DFX, MINELAB xterra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I believe they were all for it until the negative complaints, after all he was employed by them until here recently. I could be wrong but if the magazine has their name copywrited, how could they use the same name? I think the magazine made a poor decision but didn't realize it until recently. When I emailed them about their disclaimer I was sent a rude response from them, why are they so defensive if they aren't affiliated with him?

montanagold

Apr 20, 2008
Montana
Detector(s) used
Curently the AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They are probably tired of hearing about it, It is sad that they dont want him to publish any more articles but thats they way it goes.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ric Savage has been publicly ousted by the magazine that was once his employ. The magazine promotes responsible relic hunting. Key word "responsible," something Savage does not practice. The name is trademarked by the magazine. AMERICAN DIGGER Trademark of Grady R. Holcombe Jr. - Registration Number 4141765 - Serial Number 85397156 :: Justia Trademarks :: Justia Trademarks Why there hasn't been an infringement suit filed? I don't know. It looks as if they filed for the trademark Aug.16,2011 then aquired it on 5/15/2012, so maybe it was already too late to do anything about it legally. I'm not knowledgeable when it comes to trademark law but that's my take on it.

jksweendog

Greenie
Jun 6, 2012
Wilmington, NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Fisher F2
BH Tracker IV
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hollywood, I saw this thread you posted on FMDF too, but you really didn't say what you sent them in regards to the disclaimer other than your comment "Your disclaimer is crap, that show is a disgrace and your name is on it!!!!!"

Did you really expect a decent response from them with the message you sent them?
When I emailed them about their disclaimer I was sent a rude response from them, why are they so defensive if they aren't affiliated with him?....You emailed that the show is crap. Not a very professional way to get your opinion across and I'm still baffled as to way they even wasted time replying to your message.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, you can't send an email like that and expect a positive response. It was childish at best.

Jun 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is in respose to kshollywood KEVIN STRAHAN's post above. Our first dealings with Mr Strahan was his sending a very rude and acusitory email.
Your disclaimer is crap, that show is a disgrace and your name is on it!!!!!
The answer from us was stating facts: he was rude and had not done his homework. Kevin, if we offended you, we are sorry. We are also sorry you saw fit to send such an email to us. To recap what can be found in any google search: Our magazine loaned the name to what we thought would be a "reality" detecting show. It was not trademarked at the time, so it was allow it for a few episodes or risk losing it. We played ball and filed for trademark protection the very next day. We dismised Ric Savage within a couple of days after the first show. It WAS because if negative feedback, because our magazine listens to what readers want. You claim to be a subscriber who cancelled as soon as the show came out, but our records show no record of you, at least within the last year. For the record our magazine's record stands on its on. If you want to post your anger of us, go ahead, but most people know what we are about. We will be glad to answer any questions or concerns you may have in the future, but only ask this: no rude abusive emails and no fibbing about being a subcriber. If you don't like us, or the show, don't read or watch. Regards, Butch Holcombe, Publisher American Digger the best historical, metal detecting and relic hunting magazine in print!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is in respose to kshollywood KEVIN STRAHAN's post above. Our first dealings with Mr Strahan was his sending a very rude and acusitory email. The answer from us was stating facts: he was rude and had not done his homework. Kevin, if we offended you, we are sorry. We are also sorry you saw fit to send such an email to us. To recap what can be found in any google search: Our magazine loaned the name to what we thought would be a "reality" detecting show. It was not trademarked at the time, so it was allow it for a few episodes or risk losing it. We played ball and filed for trademark protection the very next day. We dismised Ric Savage within a couple of days after the first show. It WAS because if negative feedback, because our magazine listens to what readers want. You claim to be a subscriber who cancelled as soon as the show came out, but our records show no record of you, at least within the last year. For the record our magazine's record stands on its on. If you want to post your anger of us, go ahead, but most people know what we are about. We will be glad to answer any questions or concerns you may have in the future, but only ask this: no rude abusive emails and no fibbing about being a subcriber. If you don't like us, or the show, don't read or watch. Regards, Butch Holcombe, Publisher American Digger the best historical, metal detecting and relic hunting magazine in print!

Thanks for the explanation. It was as I suspected.:thumbsup: Keep up the good work.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
I've been meaning to order American digger mag. Just never got around to it.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
They are probably tired of hearing about it, It is sad that they dont want him to publish any more articles but thats they way it goes.
What i understand about it is that Amercian Digger magazine........... Has no problem with Ric Savage and his way of hunting and doing his thing........... The problem with the magazine is they are afraid there sales will go down ............ So inside of sticking up for Savage they stuck it to him................... For this whole thing has a lynch mob mentality........Don't think for themselves just follow the crowd.......That is no one really wants to upset the majority they want every one to like them so don't upset the apple cart.............. Don't fool your self Ric Savage is a very knowledgeable hunter ......with a lot of experience................

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
This is in respose to kshollywood KEVIN STRAHAN's post above. Our first dealings with Mr Strahan was his sending a very rude and acusitory email. The answer from us was stating facts: he was rude and had not done his homework. Kevin, if we offended you, we are sorry. We are also sorry you saw fit to send such an email to us. To recap what can be found in any google search: Our magazine loaned the name to what we thought would be a "reality" detecting show. It was not trademarked at the time, so it was allow it for a few episodes or risk losing it. We played ball and filed for trademark protection the very next day. We dismised Ric Savage within a couple of days after the first show. It WAS because if negative feedback, because our magazine listens to what readers want. You claim to be a subscriber who cancelled as soon as the show came out, but our records show no record of you, at least within the last year. For the record our magazine's record stands on its on. If you want to post your anger of us, go ahead, but most people know what we are about. We will be glad to answer any questions or concerns you may have in the future, but only ask this: no rude abusive emails and no fibbing about being a subcriber. If you don't like us, or the show, don't read or watch. Regards, Butch Holcombe, Publisher American Digger the best historical, metal detecting and relic hunting magazine in print!

Kudos for coming here and defending yourself, I hope you stick around 'cause this sh!t storm is gonna blow over and this site could only benifit from you being here. I admit that I was just as upset as most when this show first came out and then I realized just how comical it really is. If I ever knock on someones door to ask for permission to hunt and they reference this show or ask what their split is...I'll just laugh and try to explain that 20% of nothing is about the same as 50% of nothing because 99% of the time that's what I find is worth.

Charlie

p.s Ive never been a subscriber so you don't have to bother looking it up:laughing7:

OP
OP
kshollywood

kshollywood

Jul 15, 2010
Brandon,ms
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree I could've been a little more professional with my question or comment but at least I told the truth, I couldve changed what I said but I didn't. My comment to them was out of anger because of the places I used to hunt flat out told me they saw the show and I'm not telling them about the thousands of dollars I have found on their property, not all of my sites but some of my best sites owners saw the show because I hunted their property and wanted to see what I do, now they think I'm getting rich off stealing from them because of what they saw on tv. If I offended anyone I'm sorry because that wasn't my intintions. Like I said I'm sorry if I offended anyone on here.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have only caught bits and pieces of the show - usually during commercials of something better
but one of the recent ones - I switched over and saw part where relic buyer is reading a copy of AD mag right before Ric walks in to sell
I would think that might help sales to non-TH'ing parties or to some wanting to get into it - so the mag
might benefit from that -
if publicity (association)is not wanted by mag - shouldnt they (the show) have blurred out the cover ?

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I have only caught bits and pieces of the show - usually during commercials of something better
but one of the recent ones - I switched over and saw part where relic buyer is reading a copy of AD mag right before Ric walks in to sell
I would think that might help sales to non-TH'ing parties or to some wanting to get into it - so the mag
might benefit from that -
if publicity (association)is not wanted by mag - shouldnt they (the show) have blurred out the cover ?
Well like i said the American Diggers mag. Has no problem with Savage or what he does.......... It is all the crying they are getting from some........... so they think there sales will go down................" BOOM BABY '.....

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Well like i said the American Diggers mag. Has no problem with Savage or what he does.......... It is all the crying they are getting from some........... so they think there sales will go down................" BOOM BABY '.....

I don't think they would have fired him if they didn't have a problem with him. If one of my employee's was doing something to upset my customers I would get rid of them too, wouldn't you?

jksweendog

Greenie
Jun 6, 2012
Wilmington, NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Fisher F2
BH Tracker IV
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

BOOOM BAAABAAAAY! :occasion14:
Nice work bud, we had your back the whole time. You guys took a chance and it didn't pay off. Can't get anywhere in this world with out taking a risk. Keep up the great work with the mag

Last edited:

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Would it be possible for all you lovers of this Savage guy to stop saying boom baby? It's rather revolting.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Keppy said:
.................." BOOM BABY " ...................

Hey what' this. I thought you were done with me. Are you a fan of me too. Are you and savage pen pals.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread