Metal detecting in the Outer Banks, NC

Abulldog

Jun 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Next month we are going on vacation to a campground near Cape Hatteras, NC. My mother-in-law wanted to go metal detecting while we were there and purchased a metal detector yesterday. She used to do it as a hobby with her husband before he passed away, and thought it wou be a good thing to do with the grandchildren while we were there. While I was searching for more information on places to go while we were there I came across this site (which is great btw :icon_thumright: ). Being a total noob to detecting I thought I would ask if there are any regulations regarding metal detecting there and if anyone knows of any good places to take them to hunt. I would greatly appreciate any information that anyone can give me.

Thank you in advance

Abulldog

nightowl

Jun 1, 2012
Coker, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have not been there in a while, but when I was a kids my dad had a metal detector and we would go walk the beaches there and find things. There were no restrictions on it then. This was back in the 80's so hopefully somebody who has been there recently can give you better advise.

Let me know how you do because we are thinking of going there again in the fall or next spring.... Good luck hunting and most of all have fun.

OP
OP
A

Abulldog

Jun 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply. I have no idea about anything involving metal detectors. So I thought this would be a good place to ask. She wants to walk on the beach with the kids and see what they can find. I thought it would be a good idea as the kids would have something to do while I go fishing. :)

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You cannot hunt areas listed as National Seashore. Other areas, such as Kittyhawk are huntable. I would suggest those areas up at Duck and Corolla. Up near the VA border. I found 4 rings up there on one day! Seems to be built up a little more since I was there in the '90s. Should still be good. Good luck. TTC

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry and Timekiller are correct...Kittyhawk and north is okay. I hunt Corolla two or three times a year. Since the trips are planned well in advance I never know what the beach conditions will be like but I've had some success with shipwreck items. So the old stuff is definately there to be found along with the modern coin and jewelery loses. It is always best to hunt after a NE storm.

Good luck but stay away from the National Seashore area.

NJ

Added: Think this website is still accurate on where you can and can't detect on the OBX: Beaches where

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Abulldog

Jun 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome thanks guys. I'll pass the word along. I tried to explain it to her over the phone but I have to show her the map.

We're also heading down from Middlesex County, NJ btw. :)

Thanks again

Abulldog

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad I could help...neighbor. One of the Spanish Cobs in my avatar was found on a Corolla beach and the other one in Newark, NJ. Good luck to you and your mother-in-law. I'll be down there with my in-laws at the end of August.

now the only questions is when are you going to buy your own detector?

NJ

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you hunt Duck and Corolla in the winter, the sand goes "out to sea"! You will be hunting 14 feet deeper than summertime. You will find areas that are right on the rock and corral. Very cold and windy but the stuff will be stuck in the crevices and can probably be found even without a detector. TTC

JOE-DIRTDIGGER

Jan 20, 2012
Detector(s) used
GARRETT ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im going to ocracoke in august, i see on the earlier post the posted google map the shaded area that he said you cant detect on but the other half of the island basically the non beach side appers not to be shaded does anyone know if you can hunt those areas or it is ocracoke completly off limts thanks

karlaa

Tenderfoot
Jun 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i also reerved tickest for my upcoming vacation. karla

Bushido Dude

Dec 20, 2005
Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a resident of the outer banks and an avid detectorist I will advise you that it is legal to hunt any area north of Whalebone (the intersection in south nags head that breaks off 158 and heads south to Hatteras island). I will also advise you that right now the detecting isn't that great. If anything hit the high and dry sand on the beaches and you might find some fresh dropped items. Other than that if the surf is rough and we have decent erosion when you are here you might want to go to the north beaches around Duck/Southern Shores/Corolla....you may have find some new items and some old as well. Over the winter we were digging many shipwreck items from up that way....same beach as of 2 days ago was producing nothing...its all in the water wind and sands :) If you would like a free tour guide let me know...I am always looking for an excuse to get out! Good Luck-Happy Hunting and enjoy your stay!

7creeks

Oct 14, 2009
Dark Hills of Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have hunting the beaches Nags Head and North of there on vacation for the last 20 years. Sad to say I have never found anything old. I hope this is the year. I am heading there the second week in August.

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have hunting the beaches Nags Head and North of there on vacation for the last 20 years. Sad to say I have never found anything old. I hope this is the year. I am heading there the second week in August.

You should vacation in the winter...better chance of gettting the old stuff and the rentals are cheaper...:thumbsup:

Good luck

NJ

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As a resident of the outer banks and an avid detectorist I will advise you that it is legal to hunt any area north of Whalebone (the intersection in south nags head that breaks off 158 and heads south to Hatteras island). I will also advise you that right now the detecting isn't that great. If anything hit the high and dry sand on the beaches and you might find some fresh dropped items. Other than that if the surf is rough and we have decent erosion when you are here you might want to go to the north beaches around Duck/Southern Shores/Corolla....you may have find some new items and some old as well. Over the winter we were digging many shipwreck items from up that way....same beach as of 2 days ago was producing nothing...its all in the water wind and sands :) If you would like a free tour guide let me know...I am always looking for an excuse to get out! Good Luck-Happy Hunting and enjoy your stay!

I go down a few times a year to the Corolla area. If you up for a hunt when I'm down there I will send you a PM. Usually in April, August and December. Let me know. I usually don't find too much old stuff but I've had some luck in April. Got a cob and a cluster of musketballs.

NJ

Ncgold

Aug 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bushier Dude, would like to go out after next storm

Hey, I live in Camden. Let me know what weekend you're free, will take a ride down!:hello2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread