Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think park hours mean at closing time the park is closed so no detecting lol

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like you're out of luck altogether there Sparky :laughing7: But instead of taking someones word, go and investigate yourself. Go to the park and read the sign. If it says no metal detecting, then look for another place to hunt.

Some hooples may just be giving you bad advise to keep the place for themselves. :laughing7:

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
A lot of parks have signs that say closed from dusk till dawn around my way.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of parks have signs that say closed from dusk till dawn around my way.

I remove all park signs in my neighborhood, period

I didn't want to give this young gentleman any of my bright ideas :laughing7:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
What you may be confusing, when you read someone hear saying "hunt at off hours" (or however it's phrased) is not to advocate going after park is closed for the night (in which case, someone could gripe "the park is closed"), but rather, to go at low traffic -off times. In other words, as opposed to being an eye-sore with lookie-lous all around you (who might draw connotations), go at lower traffic times. For example, if it opens at sunrise, I betcha there aren't that many people there at 6am on a Monday or Sunday am, or 8pm (on nights when it doesn't get dark till 9pm-ish), etc...

It's not an issue of legal verses not legal, mind you, it's just that ........ well ...... not a good idea to go waltzing over beach blankets, crash an archie convention, etc.... Pick discreet times to avoid getting anyone's panties in a wad. Because let's face it: we're in an odd hobby that can d raw connotations and draw the stares of lookie-lous.

Hey, this year is my first year of serious detecting with my new Garrett at pro since the parks are now open detectoriest say you cant hunt DURING park hours but that does mean i can hunt AFTER park hours right? correct me if im wrong?

Steveo

Jun 12, 2012
upstate Ny
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett gtp1350, Garrett ace150, Whites M6, Whites XLT, Whites QTX, Tesoro Silver Umax,
(RETIRED> ☆Whites Coinmaster TR, ☆Whites Coinmaster 2 TR AM)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A bit of advice on park hunting if I may,When in doubt go talk to staff and ask what the park policy is for metal detecting.That way you won't mess things up for yourself of any future detectorist. I wish ya good luck with it all.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, I guess i got lucky where i live, because i have never had any run-ins about detecting. I have even had the police stop when i was at an abandonded house, and they just told me to becareful because of the neighborhood i was in.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A bit of advice on park hunting if I may,When in doubt go talk to staff and ask what the park policy is for metal detecting.That way you won't mess things up for yourself of any future detectorist. I wish ya good luck with it all.

Do the research, see what the city or county laws are regarding metal detecting the park in question, ask one park staff he may give you a different answer than the next person you ask.
I want to know the law, not one park staffs opinion what the law or rule is...

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
" ......... ask one park staff he may give you a different answer than the next person you ask. I want to know the law, not one park staffs opinion what the law or rule is..."

Exactly right treasure-hunter. Do NOT ask a desk-bound bureaucrat (as steveo suggests). Because it can be perceived as a form of "asking their permission" (even when you are careful to phrase it "are there any rules that prohibit detecting"). All too often there are stories of such questions being answered by someone morphing something ELSE to apply (don't disturb the earthworms, or whatever), and getting a "no", when in fact, no real rule specifically addresses the subject of metal detecting. Ie.: the old "no one cared, till you asked" routine. So the best way to do it, is to look it up FOR YOURSELF (city codes are usually on the city website). If you see nothing addressing or prohibiting metal detecting, presto, there's your answer, I it's not prohibited :icon_thumleft:

S

stefen

When a Village, City, County, State or Federal agency states in its written policies or posted (and unposted) signs that Metal Detecting is forbidden...that means at all hours, day or night... 24/7...

Understand its a unusual concept to comprehend, but its in-place for a reason...

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Stefen, sure. If there is an actual rule, by all means, follow it. But the way I understood the original question here, was not one of evading "actual rules", but for simply not being an eye-sore begging for scrutiny, at high-traffic times of day. No matter HOW legal (ie.: lack of specific rules forbidding), it's still a good idea to go at off-times of day, to make sure it stays that way :)

Steveo

Jun 12, 2012
upstate Ny
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett gtp1350, Garrett ace150, Whites M6, Whites XLT, Whites QTX, Tesoro Silver Umax,
(RETIRED> ☆Whites Coinmaster TR, ☆Whites Coinmaster 2 TR AM)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It would seem that Tom and treasure hunter got their act together and for the most I would agree with them on how to deal with the park hunt issue.I stated what I would do and I should of said that right from the start.Anyway I may have not truely understood the question.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go Sparticus, we dont need no stinkin signs. As for a Arky convention TOM, I would be dancing with my detector making lil detetcor songs and prayers about bad arkys robbin graves lol.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The OP said " detectorist say you cant hunt DURING park hours," he didn't mention anything about signs. I wouldn't worry about it, if it's a city or county park, the most they will do is ask you to leave if there is an ordinance. It's not like your shooting at the park squirrels or doing a Jerry Sandusky at the playground. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions