All Treasure Hunting

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
99.99% of the time, they're going to be large junk. Like a hubcap, a flattened can, a pipe, a chunk of caste-iron, etc... The odds of any of them being a cache, is going to be pretty slim.

Oddly, back in the 1960s and early 1970s, there were probably more caches found per capita of users, than there is today. Even though our modern sophisticated sensitive machines are deeper seeking than yester-year machine, yet more caches were found in those days, of the cheapo BFO and all-metal TR's. The reason is simple: by their very definition, they were insensitive to smaller objects (some could only get a coin to an inch or two) yet could get larger objects with ease. So a person hunting a ghost town or whatever, had the "perfect discriminator" for those pesky small objects (coin, tabs, etc...), yet could still get jar sized targets.

Sometimes, when working demolition sites, or relicky sites, I'll dig up the overload signals just to get them out of my way (check for things next to or underneath, that were masked), NOT because I'm anticipating anything good from the overload signal itself.

I'm sure that over the years, many md'rs have passed up a jar or box of coins that gave an over-load signal, because they figured they were going to pass "another hubcap" :tongue3:
Has anyone had any good finds on digging overload signals? I dig them at times just out of curiosity. Would like to hear your thoughts or stories on the subject.

Happy hunting to you all.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
100% of the overlaods I have dug have been large iron junk. Not a single good or even interesting item.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if its an overload the size of a safe - then id pass
but smaller overloads - I will at least give a check on - but all depends
on where your hitting
I got an over load signal once - turned out to be the biggest brass lock
Id ever seen - was dated 1864 - supposedly a RR car lock - goes for about $500
found it in an old park
a friend got an overload at an old park near a bay and dug down 1 1/2 feet and got an
iron cannon ball bout the size of a bowling ball
I like to check and see if item is brass or lead - if its giant iron
I leave alone - but you never know what it might be

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sad part is if you don't dig, you never know what you may have missed :laughing9:

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually go over them in pin point mode, if they are really large or linear I pass them up because it's 99% going to be an engine block or a chunk of pipe. I end up digging up a few cans now and then, but I'd rather dig than wonder.

leddel

Jun 30, 2006
connecticut
this was a passed over overload , i know because they didn't leave much else at this old cellar site it was reading very shallow and a large overload .

hatplateinthehole.jpg

hatplatejustpickedup.jpg

it was however about 4 inches down (the machine said less than 2) . i've been told it one of the most complete early militia hatplates seen in a while.

eaglehatplateat25.jpg

Dan

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Silver Slayer said:
Has anyone had any good finds on digging overload signals? I dig them at times just out of curiosity. Would like to hear your thoughts or stories on the subject.

Happy hunting to you all.

If you don't take a look see on over load signals, you are missing out on a lot of good targets. Well last overload signals I found was a bunch clad quarters and dimes all mixed in together about three or four bucks worth just below the surface. I can't remember all the keepers I have found with a overload signal. Of course you will also find a lot of junk too.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Got a signal that said ovreload but changed at each scan. It indicated 2" dept. It turnes out to be app. 13" DEEP. iT WAS THIS 1800'S BLACKSMITH AX HEAD. ax300.jpg

Last edited:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
13' :icon_scratch: Did you use a backhoe like Savage :laughing9:

I'm pretty sure you meant inches.. Remember, proofreading is your friend :tongue3:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Way back, I told them not to put ' & " on the same button! lol hand print-2_edited-3.jpg

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend dug an overload signal in waist deep water and it was a 15 gram gold ring.

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually check them out, but depends on how far it is to a dumpster. If I can get it out of the ground I gotta then haul it away. I have found so many tracker parts as of late that I expect the whole thing is buried out there.lol.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live on a ballfield next to the rail road tracks...it used to be a gas station in the 30's and a bar around the 60's to the present ..
Also was told there was a train accident here and i dont doubt that i can find all the rusty metal i want in this yard ..even if i dont want it
but i did find something in the back yard that pin points out about the size of a small car so im scared to see what it is lol

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I wanted to bury a valuable metal object and wanted to keep others from finding it, I would put one ugly huge piece of metal on top.

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I figure that digging it only takes 10 seconds out of my life, so I dig.
I've wasted far more time in my life on other things.
Carl

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Spart, You mean the can the "dog" food came in don't you! hand print-2_edited-3.jpg

cz70pro

Mar 18, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had good luck with these signals beach hunting.I have uncovered:military dog tags,groups of coins,a set of keys next to a zippo lighter, cell phones,sunglasses,etc. I usually don't have as much luck land hunting overload signals.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
I would say that about 90% of my overload signals have been cans, but I can clearly remember one overload signal that was a zinc plated lid with a white glass liner followed by a glass mason with shall I say round silver pieces in it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread