One of the best "then and now" satellite photo websites, you gotta check it out!!!

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
One of the best "then and now" satellite photo websites, you gotta check it out!!!

I have recently become addicted to NETR Online • Historic Aerials. The website allows you to pull up a satellite or topo image of an area, and then also look at its older pictures/topo's. You can even few them side by side, with a neat slider to reveal the old and new! It will overlay street names and has a number of really cool features. Best of all its free! I think there is some premium services if you pay but I haven't looked into it.

I pull up old neighborhoods and see where old streets were that aren't there today, or old buildings, so I can go MDing. I was surprised to find parts of Louisiana with topo maps going back to mid 1800's! And I took these maps and looked at them compared to today's images, and found places where old Cemeteries were.....and now there are houses :) creepy.

Does anyone have any more great sites like this? I am a big fan of Google Earth, wish they would move some of this into there. I know Google Earth can do "Historic" but generally it only goes back to 1990 or so and its only Satellite not Topo.

The website historicaerials.com is a bit slow, and it uses Silverlight (yuck!), but its still very cool.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Signal, Been using that site,located a LOT of areas no longer in use,cool site! God Bless Chris

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

boarman1

May 31, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That site only lets me look at 2007. Whats the deal behind that ?

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thank you for posting this..... simply perfect

BAMACE350

Jun 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at Iowa on there, I'm blessed ;)

Found 18 locations to search, here is one.

aee6c017-f72f-cb8c.jpg

I edited it with a screenshot of Google maps (more recent) and historic aerials.

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely nothing for indiana im running out of spots :(

OP
OP
signal

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Like Jerseyben said, its all thats available for that location. In some cases you can move the location just a few yards or miles in another direction and get more options. I have seen sites with satellite imagery going back to 1940 (south florida), yet only 2-3 topos. And then I have seen sites with 10+ topos going back to mid-1800's but only 1 satellite image (South Louisiana). So its a mixed bag.

Here is South Florida, I love that I can get satellite imagery usually for 1940, 1950, 1960, 1970, 1980 and newer..........it gives another dimension to picking your spots, and not so complicated that you have to go down to the library and dig through huge books to find these things out. Many times once I see something "interesting" I will turn to county plat records to even get some more info.

Steveo

Jun 12, 2012
upstate Ny
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett gtp1350, Garrett ace150, Whites M6, Whites XLT, Whites QTX, Tesoro Silver Umax,
(RETIRED> ☆Whites Coinmaster TR, ☆Whites Coinmaster 2 TR AM)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for sharing.I'm finding it very helpful for my area.I heard someone talk about that site or one like it some time back and just forgot about it.Glad I got right on it this time...........................

BOOTY SEEKERS IA

Jun 18, 2012
CENTRAL IOWA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT ACE250
GARRETT GTI 2500
GARRETT PRO-POINTER
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That site is great, I live in Iowa so the site covers it all. We recently found a emply lot near work that had a old schoolhouse on it years ago thanks to this site.
We will be working on this durning lunch breaks for a good month I am sure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions