Where is the clad and pull tabs?

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started hunting a large park in a pavilion area over the weekend. About a dozen pavilions, ball fields, music area, meeting building, large play area. Hundreds of people everyday with probably over a thousand on the weekends.

I am stunned by the small amount of clad and late pull tabs. Just not there.

Yesterday I spent 4 hours in a 35 x 200 area and found a mercury dime (first silver for me), buffalo nickel, 3 wheats, 2 Jefferson nickels and 5 Lincoln pennies. A couple dozen old style pull tabs (ring and tab). Perhaps 4 modern tabs. Also a lead tube and brass lipstick holder. Used AT Pro, coin settings with sensitivity at 4 bars (just less than half). All of the finds were within 3 inches of the surface and the ground was hard.

At first I thought it was because the area was hunted before but it would seem that the old pull tabs would have been gone.

Could it be that the last time anyone hunted was a couple decades ago?

Tom

A/CMan

Apr 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your area is as dry as mine wait til it rains and then crank the sens up and then see how much better you'll do, HH acman

A/CMan

Apr 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes if you don't find pull tabs you will not find gold rings .

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
A/CMan said:
Yes if you don't find pull tabs you will not find gold rings .

What? ? ? Maybe if he finds gold rings he will find pull tabs.

A/CMan

Apr 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mostly jewelry hunt the clad are just a byproduct , the clad that is old like wheaties or silver Coins is a plus, every park I hunt is mostly loaded with pull tabs and junk, and clad , with a few rings, hope it helps , HH acman

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
A/CMan said:
I mostly jewelry hunt the clad are just a byproduct , the clad that is old like wheaties or silver Coins is a plus, every park I hunt is mostly loaded with pull tabs and junk, and clad , with a few rings, hope it helps , HH acman

Oh OK thanks. What's a wheaties?

A/CMan

Apr 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's the old pennies that are called wheat cents before the memorial pennies came out.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
A/CMan said:
It's the old pennies that are called wheat cents before the memorial pennies came out.

Oh yah I have seen them on this forum. Thanks

OP
OP
T

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just thought it real strange that the old pull tabs were showing up along with older coins but not the usual modern tabs and clad.

The same area on Sat. had 3 open houses, a bunch of kids in the jungle gym area. 5 ball games, a square dancing session........one would think that newer things would be there.

Perhaps the foot traffic patterns changed over the years?

A/CMan

Apr 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold rings and pull tabs and nickels have about the same signature or what the detector is seeing in the ground you have to have disc mode low enough to pick up the low range which is gold rings,pull tabs and nickels and foil.

DeadElvis

Apr 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats for taking the high road A/CMan. Someone who claims Whites V3i and DFX as their machines knows what a wheatie is, unless he uses them to scan his toilet every evening for passed BB's and fishing weights.

A/CMan

Apr 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks DeadElvis, just trying to sharing a little knowledge with the new guy. Funny stuff! HH acman
“The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!”
Eleanor Roovelt

OP
OP
T

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the input AC. I have been digging everything that is 49 or above on my AT Pro. Lots of classic 55 hits that are normally all types of pull tabs but in this case seems to be the older ones. Nickles are usually 52, plat. 54. I will do a different area of the park next time. If the new tabs start popping out (which they will) then back in the 30's and 40's this particular area must have had a different purpose with more traffic. Right now it is a treed area between a roadway and a concert area. Today's walkways are off to the side of this area. Will report back what I find. Will check old aerials.

A/CMan

Apr 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your welcome TC glad to help anytime, I have a Atpro in my arsenal as well it's a great machine, I like to use the sniper coil on it which is a coin killer , HH acman

OP
OP
T

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found out today why I am not hitting clad coins & newer pull tabs. Another hunter with an old Tesoro came by and said he has been hunting the park for about 30 years not. Old equipment, no pinpointer and he moves very fast. He covered about an acre in the 2 hours it took me to go 80 feet. Yesterday and today I found 2 more Buffalos and 2 VC nickels. He is basically cleaning out the area for me.:laughing7:

Tom

Paulsj

Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thign to mention. If the area is manicured then alot of stuff that people dropwill get sucked up by these high powered mowers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread