What do northern THers do in the winter ??

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: What do northern TH'ers do in the winter ??

Wish it was warm.

Research. (same as I do all year)

have a Get together or 3 to Talk about last year,
Next Year & just generally to Have a Get together.

Work on my house, and Try to stay warm.

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ice fishing and candlepin bowling!

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark

I use the winter to research new sites, clean/organize my finds from the past season, and read all the treasure magazines that I can, and try to convince the wife why I need the latest treasure hunting gadget. I really don't need the gadgets, just nice to have.

theloadroom

Oct 17, 2006
SW Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Sunray X-1 probe

Land research through varmint hunting! Nothing like a coyote running at you thinking your "tender vittles"! :o

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin

Last winter wasn't too bad if you don't mind picking through and inch or two of frost, the ground is soft underneath. My buddy who is more dedicated than I detected almost all year last year. I prefer to use the time for research, restoration, and day dreaming.

D

damz68

Why stop? A little cold air never hurt no one, or did it? Oh well. I think we hit 80 today in SC. The problem we have in the south is skeeters and they are bad enough in July- September to cease all outdoor activity. I am really looking forward to this winter.
I can tell you what my dad does all winter in Cinncinati, he plays with trains, watches football and eats chili.

Maybe global warming will help you out this year.

OP
OP
gold fish

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE

It isn't really the cold I'm worried about, it's the 6" of frozen rock-hard dirt. I don't really like the idea of smacking my garden maddox into a walking half.

Kale1

Nov 2, 2006

Maybe us southern's should send you guys photos of some sunny warm days this winter to lift your spirts.Anything to help out a fellow Detectorist.

Arakronn

Oct 13, 2005
De Pere/Green Bay Wisconsin

Ok...it's official. We're finally getting snow in Green Bay. 1-3" expected and the idiot weather centers issued a snow advisory. I suppose people have to learn how to drive again. Now for the really weird thing.....THUNDER????????

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

lucky1777 said:
gypsyheart said:
lucky1777 said:
Last winter I never stopped hunting. If you find an area with a lot of trees and leaves you can still dig under them. You do get some strange looks from people caring you detector and snow shovel.

Lucky...Lisa told me you get strange looks even when not carrying your detector! ::)
I have and will detect the parking lots where they stack the snow......
Gypsy, don't ever listen to anything Lisa says. She is jealous because I am such a great hunter.. ::)

I was wondering why my ears were ringing! Gypsy....don't listen to lucky......The man hunts with a Donald Duck detector that he bought from the toy department at Walmart. Touche! ;D ;D

Oh and I did hunt all last winter except for a few weeks in Februrary. The coldest hunt was 15 degrees, but the ground wasn't frozen. When it's too cold to hunt, I usually just surf TreasureNet and live vicariously through the Southern hunters.

Dick from IA

Nov 21, 2005
Fort Dodge Iowa & Aransas Pass Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

Not every winter day is a freeze out; if the temp hits 40 with sunshine I'll dig thru some playgrounds and wooded areas where the leaf cover tends to reduce the freezing of the ground.

Plus I'm an amateur paint by numbers artist ::). Also research, forums, and a trip or two south does help, too. Also thinking about Coin Roll Hunting; been following some of the CRH posts here and it does look fascinating.

DFIU

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Shovel snow!

Attachments

• 111006 001.jpg
    111006 001.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 146

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Not sure about the others, but down her when winter hits, I put on my winter sneakers, my winter t-shirt (50/50 cotton), my heavy jean shorts, and my winter sunglasses. If it gets REAL cold, I may even put on long jeans. ;D

OP
OP
gold fish

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE

arakronn, I heard thunder in this storm earlier today. We got it pretty good, 'bout 3-4.

treasure_hunter, you're not even funny, not-even-funny.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread