A cautionary tale

PADirtfisher

Greenie
Jul 9, 2003
PA, near Philadelphia
My "find" happened a couple weeks ago, as of this writing, and I'm very lucky to be able to write this now. My story takes place in Downingtown, PA - you can look up the news articles if you wish.

I've been a treasure hunter for many years. Usually I enjoy metal detecting, but I won't turn down a chance to cache hunt, either. I really enjoy digging through abandoned houses, looking for that overlooked something that tickles my fancy. That's why I went along enthusiastically when a friend of my brother-in-law, who invests in forclosures, offered to let us cherry-pick the house before the clean-out crews arrived. I had been told that the former owner had to be forcibly removed after being evicted, and had abandoned most of his stuff. It sounded like a fun time was to be had.

When we entered the circa 1920, 3-story duplex house, the smell just about knocked us off our feet. The evicted former owner had left a cooler full of food just inside the door, and it had spoiled into a nasty, lumpy goo. We quickly bypassed the ground floor, leaving the door open to air the place out.

On the upper floors, we found quite a bit of stuff, ranging from games to old bottles, military patches and ammo to old silver jewelry. In a closet I found an old china service and lots of football memorabilia. I found many small cedar boxes, which I love to use to hold my metal detecting finds. Though the stuff was not great, we felt we had found enough to justify our afternoon of searching.

Finally we were able to search the living room. Behind the tattered couch was a large wardrobe, with a closet on the right and drawers on the left. We managed to pry the swollen drawers open, and my brother-in-law started searching them while I concentrated on the closet. As I knelt there, he reached into the drawer at my head level and pulled something out.

"Hey, Frank, doesn't this look like a pipe bomb?" he asked me. It sure did. The object was pipe shaped, about ten inches long and wrapped in duct tape. The ends were smaller in diameter (about the size of a D-cell battery on each end), with what looked to be pipe caps on the ends. The really scary part was the large capacitor (like you'd find in an old stereo, with a heavy chrome edge) attached to the top of the pipe. One thin, curly white wire ran from the capacitor to one end of the pipe, and a thin, curly red wire ran to the other end. Two heavier black wires ran from the windings into the middle of the pipe.

I told him to gently set it on the nearest level surface. He did, and we quickly vacated the premises. A call to the owner of the house and to the police resulted in the bomb squad being called in. The device was determined to be a bomb. The neighborhood was evacuated, the road (a major highway) was closed and the device was safely removed and detonated by trained professionals. Bomb-sniffing dogs pronounced the house safe after that. A professional crew cleaned out the house thoroughly a few days later.

I found out later that the former owner of the house was a disabled Vietnam veteran who had wartime bomb building training and experience. He had stopped paying his taxes due to a beef with the local government, and was known to local officials for making frequent death and bomb threats. He had been evicted after something of a stand-off. I do not know if he is currently in custody or not.

I believe that what saved us was the fact that the eviction had occured last February. I believe that the batteries died on the bomb, in the intervening months. Had it still been active, then it would have detonated as the former owner planned, and both myself and my brother-in-law would have been killed. We are not, nor ever were, agents of the government, nor were we responsible for the guy's financial or personal difficulties. We were simply starting the clean-out of an abandoned house. And it nearly cost us our lives.

I am still jittery and nervy from this event. Don't get me wrong, I am still an avid treaure hunter, and this will not stop me from pursuing my hobby. Only now, I approach even the simplest of recovery operations with quite a bit more caution.

Frank B.

98 gt

Oct 5, 2006
holy geeze!!! that some scary crap... almost like when i was at a buddy's house and we burned (his dad paid us to burn) and old wood shed down and we were scraping the ash and other junk into a dumpster we found a couple AK-47 cips full of ammo!

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)
Dang man...You're lucky to be here to post! I am glad you came out unharmed, but I sure understand your being shaken up! I hope they find the "Disturbed vet" and put him UNDER a prison somewhere!
Thanks for the post~
~Nashoba~

Mike T

Oct 4, 2006
I'm glad you're OK and the bomb was taken care of.
But I can't help thinking theres some heavy Karma involved with investing in forclosures. Its trying to profit from the bad luck of a person losing their home.
sorry if my opinion is unpopular but there it tis. Mike T

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First of all, welcome to the forum..... That is one scary time you went through..... But am glad that it did not go off. I guess that is a warning to all of us who go through houses and the like, to be very careful of what we pick up. Some of the folks here have even dug up some scary stuff..... Hey the goverment should pay us danger allowance for clearing up the dangerous stuff that is lying around ::)

God bless
Peter

OP
OP
P

PADirtfisher

Greenie
Jul 9, 2003
PA, near Philadelphia
I've been hanging around the forums for a couple years now, I just don't usually post that often. I tend to keep my good finds under my hat. :) But this one was just too important not to share. I had nothing to do with the guy's bad fortunes, but I almost paid for them anyway. I still shake when I think about it, then I want to strangle the guy myself for putting me through that. I can understand his feelings, having lost his house, but that doesn't give him the excuse to possibly wipe out the neighborhood (not to mention the poor schlubs who had to clean up his mess). And believe me, that house was a MESS. The guy was a complete slob.

Frank B.

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy Cow Dirtfisher!!!

You sure did get lucky, looks like that crazed vietnam vet meant to do some real damage. Good for you that you caught it and his device didn't work as planned.

Makes you wonder about people don't it?

JW

Apr 8, 2005
No. California
Detector(s) used
ML ExII, GPX4000
Would that transistor have been a mercury switch to detonate with movement?

How often does the violent act actually hurt the person it is aimed at? Rarely at best, your pretty lucky, I bet you'll look first and then lift next time. ;)

lostdutchman

Sep 22, 2006
Holy Mackrel....never know what level of motivation people are working under..Glad it all turned out ok..

T

TreasureTales

In the words of Frank Barone: "Holy crap!" Close call for you guys. Good thing you recognized it for what it was. Imagine some lady finding that thing and not having a clue what it was!!!???? I just went through an estate clean-out and poked my finger on a needle...fortunately it was a sewing needle as it turned out, not a syringe-type needle. We just never know what we'll find ANYWHERE. My personal motto: when in doubt, get the hell out!

So, now that you're safe, did you make any money on the stuff?

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Thanks for the great advice and I am glad you survived to talk about it. I am also glad you guys found it instead of some kids...Great job!
My uncle had a similiar experience...he bought a house in the country in a foreclosure and proceeded to find all types of hidden items in it that related to bomb making...and then finally in a hidden floor compartment of the garage he found actual bombs....He called th cops and that was when he found out the former owner of the house was in prison for bomb threats ::)

roswellborn

Jan 9, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Omg!

So glad you're still around to post!

I'll definitely be keeping this post in mind, although I don't think I'll share it with hubby. ::)

Odd that the newspaper story said "inoperable" but then talks about the explosion later. Go figure.

Very glad you got out. Wow

Nan

OP
OP
P

PADirtfisher

Greenie
Jul 9, 2003
PA, near Philadelphia
Yep, the police told the reporter that it was "inoperable." I take that to mean that "the batteries died." I was told by the authorities that it was the real deal. Had we been cleaning the place out even a few months earlier, that newspaper story could have had a very different ending.

Ugh.

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions