Some asked for pictures of the Civil war hospital used by Union and Confederate

boarman1

May 31, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know some guys have asked to see some pictures. Here is a home that was built in 1850 by master carpenters from Virginia. This house is located in North Ga. I also included a small cabin that was used by the workers back in the 1850's. The master carpenters brought all of his fellow carpenters with him. They build these small houses while they built the big house. They are located 100 Yards behind the big house and another 300 yards past this is the Etowah river. All the brick you see on this house was made at the river and brought up to the house and used. I wasnt able to go inside this time as he had to leave when I got there so I only took outside pictures. The house is huge. 14ft ceilings on both floors. When the union soilders took over the house in 1863 they came in and thought the rooms would be cooler if they busted out the ceilings so in the upstairs two back rooms the ceilings on one side of the room is busted out. in both of those rooms the owner left them just like they were from the 1850's. It is like walking into the past. The owners family lived in the nearest town for hundred of years and so the owner who is 80 years old has saddles from the 1800s and man they are awesome. He has 10 of them in one of these rooms. Years ago when I was little I went to the house to help my dad do some work but right before we went there someone came in and stole a lot of civil war relics that was left in the house. My dad told me yesterday that there was a tea set that was fine china from the 1860's that was stolen and there was doctor bags and tools that was stolen. Knifes and tons of other items that had been passed down from his great aunt. I will say I have worn my self out going and looking at this property . There has been so much yard work done such as pushing junk and metal around from old tractors and who knows what and I keep finding old metal pieces of steel. I have found a few items that looks like some parts for something but IM not so sure how old it might be. I went into the timber yesterday and came across one of these cabins and it was cool looking insid and out. I just opened up the door I actually was afraid to go inside since Im not sure how safe it would be and I didnt ask him if I could go in there so I respect him not to go in and look around. I tried to metal detect around this cabin but there is so much metal scrape that I was sick of digging up old trash. There was several of these cabins but I only seen two of them while I was there and one was on someone else property but I could see if from this cabin . I wished I could find more details on how the solder's traveled through the property but I have exhausted my self looking on the internet. Here are some pictures. 2012-06-17_18-27-08_775.jpg 2012-06-17_19-14-42_629.jpg

QuarterMaster

Apr 25, 2012
North Central Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Ace350
Pioneer Bounty Hunter 202
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, nice places, I know that digging junk gets old but sooner or later you are going to have it cleaned up fairly well and you WILL find something very interesting. Keep at it. Stand at the doorway of the old cabin looking out and try to visualize how people would have come and gone from the place, try visualizing a path down to the river, possible clothes line area, things like that. GL

OP
OP
B

boarman1

May 31, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sure will. There is a trail that was used and is easy to follow but good lord someone has dumped trashed all around this place. Its in thick timber but its so cool to imagine what all went on there. There are some very cool old tools in the building and there are some new magazines just inside the door. . I got a good reading just out side the door. There is a set of steps made up the little bank that they walked up and down but The dirt is so hard I almost broke my shovel and was only wabl eto go down 4 ". It was getting late so I gave up. . I did find old metal farm scrape and some is very old and some is not so old.
Wow, nice places, I know that digging junk gets old but sooner or later you are going to have it cleaned up fairly well and you WILL find something very interesting. Keep at it. Stand at the doorway of the old cabin looking out and try to visualize how people would have come and gone from the place, try visualizing a path down to the river, possible clothes line area, things like that. GL

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like a very promising site! I worked on a few houses up by Cartersville and Plant Bowen years ago and I can tell you there's a lot of history there waiting to be found. Don't let the trash get you down the more you clear, the more likely you'll find the good stuff!

A tip for those cabins...... Somewhere near them will be privy pits or trash pits, you find those and you'll likely make some good finds!

OP
OP
B

boarman1

May 31, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah Ill go back and look some more. Its not easy getting in there but Man are they nice to see something that old.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread