If you had $1,200.00 to spend on a detector....

Scary Hunter

Oct 9, 2006
Mexico City
Detector(s) used
Lorenz LPX2
I had read in some posts that the Minelab Explorer SE is a very good one and it costs $1199.95 USD at kellyco and has several extra stuff.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Forget which detector goes the deepest on coins. There are to many variables. As for my choice, I would choose a Minelab SE or Sovereign GT with the WOT coil for my beach hunting.

HH,
Sandman

PADirtfisher

Greenie
Jul 9, 2003
PA, near Philadelphia
I bought my DFX new for $850 from a store that doesn't believe in suggested retail prices. I love it. My close friend has an XLT, and I consistently clean up compared to her. Then again, I once had a guy walk behind me on a coin-rich beach with a Minelab and "clean up" what I missed. I got most of the goodies, but... well, I wanted to smack the guy, just on general principal.

If you are stretching to buy a detector, or if you aren't sure you're that dedicated, get a deal on a DFX and use the rest for fun. It's a great machine. If you have $1200 free and clear and you want the best, go for the Minelab. It's a scary great machine.

Just my $.02. Your mileage may vary.

Frank B.

OP
OP
D

damz68

I figured it would come down to whites and minelabs. I have a minlab xterra-30 and even though I had a problem where the coil and handle did not line up straight I like it allright. I have also had a problem where when I sit the machine dowm it turns off normally when this happens it also starts beeping like crazy, even when you put the coil in the air. This has happend several times in the 3 months I have owned it. However, the other day I went out with the man that sold me the unit and found a lot of clad where he had already been with his tesero desoro.

I do like the look of the minlabs, the contols and display are very professional looking. At the same time, I question its durability. I could be wrong.

Sandman, will those minelabs find a small gold nugget? I know the x-70 will do it all with differant coils, I just think it is slightly over priced when you add all those coils.

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
I would buy a Vaquero by Tesoro. I have heard that it gets incredible depth, it is very lightweight, and above all it is a Tesoro.

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab Explorer SE! I just got mine this week and am very happy with it! I had the MXT before and to be honest it is like comparing a Chevette to a Corvette! I don't know about the higher end Whites but my MXT was extremely "chatty". Iron would sound almost constantly. With the Minelab when you discriminate iron you will not hear a peep! Goes real deep too.

I have only had the machine for a few days but I have no regrets about spending the dolla's! ;D

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT W/S12 Coil & Excal 1000 & Fisher CZ21 Cz20,Tesoro Tiger Shark Excal ll
there are many good detectors out there in that price range.you need to take into consideration are you going to hunt mostly land or water? if you know you will be hunting land id go with Fisher CZ5 or Minelab Sovereign GT.they both are good detector's.If you hunt mostly water id go with Fisher CZ20 or Minelab Excalibur.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
for 1200
buy 2 then sell the one you dont like

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think the DFX or the Minelab are light weight detectors but they are certainly two of the best. Extra quality sometimes requires more electronics thus more weight. You can buy any one of several straps or harnesses to help support the extra weight and it will not be a problem. Me? I have a Garrett GTI 2500. Monty

patpall22

Jul 4, 2006
Carmel ca/ Big Sur ca
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, whites DFX, XP DEUS, etrac and sandshark
I was in the same position you were about six months ago. Obviously with 1200 dollars you’re looking for either whites or minelab. I decided to go with the whites DFX and purchased one on E-bay for 720$. This left me some extra cash for accessories. I am more than happy with my decision. The DfX is strong enough to endure the punishment of any conditions. What i like best about the DFX is that it is super easy to use. it's a true turn on and go detector that also has many features to play around with for extra depth but it allows the user to achieve very high level of performance with just the factory settings. I my opinion, the DfX is the most versatile detector on the market and I highly recommend this detector.

lordmarcovan

Jan 3, 2006
Golden Isles Of Georgia
Detector(s) used
Many models over the years, mostly Garretts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking of a DFX or a Minelab but ended up getting a Garrett GTI-2500. In fact, I ended up getting my detector in a swap; got a lightly-used one for $200 cash plus two nice coins. Considering what I had invested in the coins, I ended up getting the detector for less than $500. If I had been paying full price, in cash, would I have still chosen the GTI-2500? Not sure. It was one of three I had narrowed my choices down to.

The Baron does have a point: for 1200 bucks, you could still buy two nice upper-middle-of-the-line machines and sell off the one you didn't like, or have a secondary unit. Perhaps $600 for a nice detector and another $600 for a specialty machine (surf/dive machine, gold prospecting machine, whatever).

PS- if you want lightweight, forget about the Garrett GTI-2500. It's a nice machine but it's a cinderblock.

S

SouthCarolinaTeacher

I would definitely find a local dealer. I've heard many stories about online transactions(eBay, Kellyco) about how the service was HORRIBLE, and I've also heard some that they said the service was great.

My White's Forum friend and Pioneer of Metal Detecting, Greg Moscini from Trans Bay Metal Detectors would be able to get you set up if you weren't able to find a local dealer. He offers competitive prices along with 25+Years of knowledge. Kellyco and eBay doesn't offer any education on the machines, they just sell them.

It's the service that you get AFTER the transaction that is the most valued aspect to me. He'll make sure you get a machine that's right for you and the education to go with it!

Greg can be contacted at:
www.transbaymetaldetectors.com OR
[email protected]

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am going with a T2 when I get the money. The word is you have to understand what it is telling you. If i am wrong I will be the first to tell everone.
Burdie

lucky1777

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2005
Illinois
I would go with an MXT, with a small coil and an 18 inch coil. Then get a nice pinpointer. It is light, well balanced, powerful and easy to use.

phantomx6

Greenie
Feb 16, 2006
Kansas City, Kansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, Garrett GTA 500, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Tesoro Vaquero, Fisher CZ3D, Minelab Explorer SE, White DFX
Don't overlook the Fisher CZ3D. Just got one, and really love it. I think it is lighter than the DFX or Minelab, and it goes DEEP!

Willy

Well, you kinda leave it wide open by saying "do it all". Will you be prospecting? If so, the DFX and Explorer are going to be blown away by much cheaper detectors. I'd say that an MXT, X70,LST, Treasure Baron, come closest to being all-rounders. One thing to remember is that what a lot of the high end detectors offer is generally bells & whistles and a person that knows a detector well can often give a harsh spanking to someone with a whizz-bang TID unit. Another maxim that rings true is: "The best discriminator is your shovel". That's why I put the LST in there; you might dig more trash with a basic detector, but often this is offset by the good finds that a TID would say is garbage... like a 1oz gold nugget. ..Willy.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 344
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 336
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 342

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread