Old copper spoon...

Jun 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is my first post here so bear with me - My husband is the treasure hunter, not me. But I do like to help dig sometimes! :) His last trip, he brought me home an old mud/manure encrusted spoon. He was ready to throw it away but I thought it would be great fun to clean up. I'm sure I have done everything wrong, but I was mostly just wanting to see what was under all the gunk. I soaked it in CLR and have scrubbed it with an SOS pad until we are finally starting to see that it looks like a copper spoon (read as copper on the metal detector as well,) and it has some very pretty designs on it! Extremely worn, and I'm trying not to scrub TOO much now that we are actually down to some detail. I can not find any writing on it yet, but I wonder if there is any type of a searchable database on these things where I can put in markings and see if it comes up with a match? It seems to have a sunflower at the top of it. I am working on getting a picture posted but wanted to see if I would have any hits in the meantime. :) Thank you in advance!!

OP
OP
B
Jun 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
005.jpg 007.jpg 010.jpg
Here are a few pictures of the spoon. I finally got it to work! It is quite a bit shinier than it looks in the picture. :)

Steveo

Jun 12, 2012
upstate Ny
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett gtp1350, Garrett ace150, Whites M6, Whites XLT, Whites QTX, Tesoro Silver Umax,
(RETIRED> ☆Whites Coinmaster TR, ☆Whites Coinmaster 2 TR AM)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like under that crud lurks a nice looking spoon.A good dig for your husband...............................

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Good find. Copper is kind of soft to be used for spoons that see regular use. I have found iron spoons and forks that have been copper plated and then silver plated. Your find is kind of unique, It would look good mounted on a wooden plaque. frank hand print-2_edited-3.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread