Solar powered

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
There is a solor powered backpack that could be used. I saw it advertised in a mag, but have no info on it.
The power of the sun varries so you would still need an on board rechargeable batt. That would mean no gain there, that is probably why you don't see them. Frank hand print-2_edited-3.jpg

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's no influence from anyone, there is just not enough power from solar power to keep the batteries charged. Not only does the power from the sun change, but the panel should be 90 degrees to the sun, or as close as possible and any shade really cuts down on the power, so where would you put the cell? Just not practical.

K

Kentucky Kache

Probably for the same reason every home in the world isn't solar equipped.

OP
OP
P

poptop121

Apr 9, 2011
conecticut
yes but it can be done..enough with the reasons why it cant be done! im tired of buying batteries...ok i can buy re-chargebles...but for somthing soooo small as a single 9-volt...this is not a house its a tiny battery..bring it..

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
. . . but the panel should be 90 degrees to the sun, or as close as possible and any shade really cuts down on the power, so where would you put the cell? Just not practical.

Obviously - on top of the headphone strap. ;-)

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The British "Solar Pinnicle" came out years ago. It was a fairly light weight motion type detector with a Penguin (elliptical coil). With the fairly low price of batteries and the option of rechargables for most detectors there was really no need to pay above the odds to save on batteries. Most decided that it was better to spend the extra money involved on another standard detector with better general performance than go for a gimmick.

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it can be done, then do it! Someone here posted before, that he wanted to get off the grid, you can find his post and ask if he succeeded. Since I havent seen anymore post from him, I assume that he is still on the grid, or in the forest with dead batteries. I just hate to be out in the boonies and have dead batteries. Rechargeable dont even seem to last very long, but are acceptable if you can get a good charge every night, but would hate to rely on the sun for my hunting.

Steveo

Jun 12, 2012
upstate Ny
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett gtp1350, Garrett ace150, Whites M6, Whites XLT, Whites QTX, Tesoro Silver Umax,
(RETIRED> ☆Whites Coinmaster TR, ☆Whites Coinmaster 2 TR AM)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's something neat to think about.I feel that even if they was able to put a solar powered detector out on the market it would cost so much that most could not afford one..................................

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Solar Pinnicle was only about $150 more than a similar performance detector of the time and solar panels are now a fraction of the price, lighter, even flexible.

Bev

Mar 2, 2012
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would think it would add more weight, no? I'm always trying to make sure I'm not weighted down any more than I have to be.

Paulsj

Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Solar power is not direct power. It only recharges batteries that are normally in the appliance when there is no drag on the battery currently.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
It might be more convenient to use a rechargeable spare set in a charger on your car dash. hand print-2_edited-3.jpg

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anglo American "Splice" for demining tackled the problem of lack of batteries and electricity in the third world and the fact that there would be insufficient light for solar in dense jungle with a pendulum system.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions