should i trade my xlt for a garrett at pro??!?

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
A fool and his money are soon parted! I am just curious, what is wrong with the XLT? hand print-2_edited-3.jpg

Glenn C

Nov 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I sold my xlt for the at pro and feel it is a better machine. This is just one opinion of course.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Glenn, what does the AT Pro do that the XLT didn,t do besides set you back some bucks? hand print-2_edited-3.jpg

Glenn C

Nov 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
it goes in the water and I find it gets more depth. I relic hunt and have gone over areas that I have been many times previously , found missed items and seems to pick up on copper better. IMO

OP
OP
tparker805

tparker805

May 7, 2012
Ventura county
Detector(s) used
White's Xlt spectrum
Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bought my xlt for 300 going to sell it for 420 and buying a garrett at pro nib for 450 w/ a pinpointer but im scared i wont like the at pro i own a 350 im scared its just a waterproof 350

Glenn C

Nov 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
its your call bud. I like it better. xlt is fine I just prefer water option and I find it preforms better with a learning curve.

OP
OP
tparker805

tparker805

May 7, 2012
Ventura county
Detector(s) used
White's Xlt spectrum
Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well i just sold my xlt im heart broken.... and i was to buy the at pro but it just got sold out from under me so... im looking for a new detector i sold my xlt for 410 i bought it for 300... i was spoused to buy the at pro for 450 but it got sold so now what do i do!??! some 1 chime in with a detetor for sale maybe around 4 - 600 dollar range??? and thnx for the input glenn !

Glenn C

Nov 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm sorry to hear. Hopefully you'll find a better price. Good luck with that!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Parker. My first question is the same as Frankn's.... What is wrong (WAS wrong) with the XLT? Second: Did you own it long enough to really get to know the machine? I don't want to sound accusatory but if the AT PRO you were expecting to buy was the one you posted from Craig's list, you should have taken the time to reflect on Frankn's question and answered him. If you took the time, you would still have a detector. The XLT is a perfectly good machine. So is the AT PRO, I guess. Just give the machine enough time. TTC

OP
OP
tparker805

tparker805

May 7, 2012
Ventura county
Detector(s) used
White's Xlt spectrum
Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
had the machine for about 3 months very technical savvy and i tryed all the modes and even made my own programs there was nothing wrong with my xlt sad to see it go really just seen a real good opportunistic chance and i didnt get it in time lol... so now im left with my garrett 350 to hunt with in the mean time. but im glad i didnt get the at pro either really looking into gettin anther machine wouild apricate some input on a new 1?

OP
OP
tparker805

tparker805

May 7, 2012
Ventura county
Detector(s) used
White's Xlt spectrum
Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
just bought anther xlt with a bigfoot coil 2 citys away for 350 :thumbsup: so this means i just sold my machine and got a new 1 !!! and this 1 is complty refurbed better than mine was!!! nothing but a good deal

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
just bought anther xlt with a bigfoot coil 2 citys away for 350 :thumbsup: so this means i just sold my machine and got a new 1 !!! and this 1 is complty refurbed better than mine was!!! nothing but a good deal

Good deal! Now hold on to the xlt till you have at LEAST 100 hours on it. Then, if you don't think it's the one, swap it out. I think you'll find it is all you'll need.... for awhile. Take care. TTC

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tparker805 said:
bought my xlt for 300 going to sell it for 420 and buying a garrett at pro nib for 450 w/ a pinpointer but im scared i wont like the at pro i own a 350 im scared its just a waterproof 350

I started with the Ace 350 and quickly upgraded to the AT-Pro. It's an easy transition. The AT-Pro has still found stuffI in areas I pounded with the 350! So in my opinion the At-Pro is way better than the Ace350 plus it goes underwater or you can have it out in the rain with no worries. I have hunted with it in fresh water rivers and the ocean beaches here on the Jersey Shore without any worry of getting it wet or splashed by waves and worrying that it won't work the next time I take it out again. Do a search, there are plenty of others that have gone the same path as I and do not regret it one bit.
It is like comparing a BH Pinpointer to the Garrett ProPointer. All who take the chance and convert are great-full they took the chance and will never look back.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Well, after reading all the comments, I must say, you never find it all. If you go over with another detector, how do you know that the other detector would not have found it? It is best to do a side to side test to see which reaches down further.
As you can see from my detector listing, I use different types of detectors for different purposes. The XLT is used the most, The Surfmaster PI is used at the beach, The Hays 2 Box is for cache hunting and when I want to ignore small targets. The Vibra-Tector Is a speciality small underwater pinpointer with a range of app. 6". Different tools for different jobs.

hand print-2_edited-3.jpg

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
I've used both and would take the XLT any day over the AT Pro. Much more customization possibilities with the XLT and it doesn't ring bottle caps up as coins like the AT pro. Also, the At pro is the most uncomfortable detector I have ever used...shallow arm cup and a big cumbersome coil with holes in it that love to snag on grass and pop your elbow out of the cup.

OP
OP
tparker805

tparker805

May 7, 2012
Ventura county
Detector(s) used
White's Xlt spectrum
Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've used both and would take the XLT any day over the AT Pro. Much more customization possibilities with the XLT and it doesn't ring bottle caps up as coins like the AT pro. Also, the At pro is the most uncomfortable detector I have ever used...shallow arm cup and a big cumbersome coil with holes in it that love to snag on grass and pop your elbow out of the cup.

thank you for your response i acutally sold it and bought another xlt with better attchments for cheaper and i dont regret 1 bit missing the at pro deal besides its was 450 with a gpp lol i think my garrett ace 350 is uncomfortable as well i kind of figured the at pro would be the same

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
tparker805, OK now pick up a surfmaster PI for the water areas and you will be set for life. hand print-2_edited-3.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread