Am New. Have $2000 To Start Out With. What Should I Buy To Begin?

aricsqueen

Jun 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Am sure you see at least one 'newbie' post like this per day - for that, apologies.

I'll try to make it easy, while quietly picking each of your brains.

Am willing to put $2000 into this to begin - sooooooo... what do I need?

A few books?

Obviously, a metal detector - but one that works underwater? [I have a small sailboat]

If you were to do it all over from Step 01 - what would you do differently?

Absolutely any feedback would be seriously appreciated.

Thanks.

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
You will have to give some more information. Where will you be hunting mostly? Beaches, dirt, general proximity?? Most people start out with an inexpensive machine and then move up rather than spending thousands of dollars initially. But that said,you can get a nice beach hunting machine for that money or a nice dirt machine. I have a minelab excaliber for the beach and an ETrac for dirt. Etrac can also be used on the beach but is not waterproof. Hope this helps a little. REad lots before you buy.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
What's your main objective? ie park hunting, beech hunting, relic hunting, under water recovery. You need to decide on a starting point. You can start with some good used detectors like a general purpose detector Like the Whites XLT for about $400+ and try to get in some experience and see what you like the best. Then you could add a under water detector like the Whites Surfmaster PI which is also a killer on the beach. If you happen to get a good lead on a buried cache over 2' deep then you would want to acquire a good used 2 Box detector. I use an old Hayes, but there are plenty of good old ones out there for around $300. As you can see, I have mentioned the ones that I use because I know them and they have all paid for themselves. The thing is to pick one up and gain experience. Its best to start with a top of the line used one.

hand print-2_edited-3.jpg

BallsDeep

Apr 30, 2012
Eastern Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Whites Surf Dual Field, Garrett Carrot Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Garrett's AT Pro is a good starter, it will go anywhere (get the waterproof headphones) its easy to learn, light weight. I love mine. i mainly use the white's surf Dual Coil as most of my hunting is at the beach. but the AT Pro is great for trash parks.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Am sure you see at least one 'newbie' post like this per day - for that, apologies.

I'll try to make it easy, while quietly picking each of your brains.

Am willing to put $2000 into this to begin - sooooooo... what do I need?

A few books?

Obviously, a metal detector - but one that works underwater? [I have a small sailboat]

If you were to do it all over from Step 01 - what would you do differently?

Absolutely any feedback would be seriously appreciated.

Thanks.

You need a good BBS (multi-frequency) detector for dirt and wet saltwater sand, and a solid PI (pulse induction) detector for diving. You can do both machines for about $1,700.00 - a Minelab Sovereign Minelab Sovereign GT Metal Detector For Sale - Kellyco Metal Detectors and a Tesoro Sand Shark Tesoro Metal Detectors - Official company web site with metal detector models for treasure hunting land or water.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
If i were to start over,i,d miss some hard learned lessons. For you i would suggest securing your money. Then visit nearest detecting club or two and get a feel for/of different detectors. Then trials at dealers,not to buy yet! Decide away from sale site what you need in a unit. Most veterans suggest the best you can afford. Time,many hours will be required to learn new language detector uses. building a test garden and air testing while studying user instuctions before hitting the field should help. Patience big help along with a creative mind and research into sites. Realistic expectations for each site important. Most important keep it fun.measure sucess by your own yardstick . H.H.:thumbsup:

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For starters, pick up a decent entry level machine, a pin pointer and a good digging tool. Then try your hand at it and see how it goes. There's no need to spend a lot of money on something only to find out after a while that it's not really for you. After a while, if you're still into it, then it's time to look into upgrades.

Steveo

Jun 12, 2012
upstate Ny
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett gtp1350, Garrett ace150, Whites M6, Whites XLT, Whites QTX, Tesoro Silver Umax,
(RETIRED> ☆Whites Coinmaster TR, ☆Whites Coinmaster 2 TR AM)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Only thing I have to add is,I have heard of some newbies buying top of the line machines and the big learning curve just took all the fun out of it right from the word go.Before you know it they have that high dollar machine and all the extras on e-bay.
I hope it all works out in you favor.................................................

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
The thing is to buy a older top of the line used detector. The XLT can keep up with the newer detectors. It is easy to use. You just turn it on. It instructs you to push one button twice to ground bal. You then just pick a program like coins and jewerly and push enter. It's as simple as that. When you get adventures later on, you can adjest anything. The screen gives you an ID # and estimated guess as to what it is. You squeeze the trigger and it tells you how deep it is. The Funny face-flower.jpg dept guage also acts as a pinpointer that is dead accurate. It goes 2' deep for large items and will find gold and silver easily. One in good condition will sell for around $450.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
You say you want one that goes under water and that you have a small boat............ But what kind of water .."salt water " or " fresh.water " ????

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
See post #3. A PI detector works in any water. Aricsqueen are you still there? hand print-2_edited-3.jpg coins_0004 1854 F_edited-1.jpg coins_0003 T 5 peso_edited-2.jpg coins_0010 2euro harp_edited-1.jpg coins_0012 1euro eagle_edited-1.jpg gold cross chain.jpg ruby gold ring 700.jpg ax300.jpg
So I got carried away with my finds display pictures! Frank

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like cntrydncr1, and NOLA_Ken mentioned, why on earth start off with such and expensive machine :dontknow:

I mean after all this hobby may not be for you, you may have the passion now, but may lose it tomorrow. :laughing7:

Just look at all the expensive home gym equipment people buy, sitting their collecting dust :laughing9:

signed,
the voice of reason :tongue3:

OP
OP
A

aricsqueen

Jun 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
guys!

can't thank you enough for all of this - when I first submitted this post, I thought that either a] it was your common newbie questions that would get little attention or b] this was more of a selfish man's hobby [fewer that learn, more treasure for the rest].

am pleased to see I was wrong on both accounts.

took the overwhelming advice and am starting small. in a few weeks, I'll put in an order for these items. is this a good start? am I missing anything?

- Garrett Ace 350
- Garrett Master Sound headphones [will wait on the waterproof]
- Garrett Pro Pointer
- [misc digging items]
- 'Metal Detecting for The Beginner' [Vince Mingilore]

... will that work for a newbie? anything else - more books, etc?

[individual responses below]

cntrydncr1 - I'll start at the park, but live an hour from the beach, so would like to hunt there as well. anything in particular you'd suggest reading?

Frankn - thanks for that. had never heard of a 2-box, but will not start scouring Ebay for a used one.

BallsDeep - took your advice and am going with a Garrett - the 350 though. what are the advantages of the waterproof headphones? besides rain and whatnot?

Terry Soloman - nice. think I'm going to have to PM you when I make my second purchases [after getting the hang of it].

releventchair - suggestions for a 'test garden'? never heard of one…

NOLA_Ken - am glad you said that. took your advice.

Steveo - same as what I said to Ken - I'm starting small. although, man - it's tempting to just buy everything, right?

Keppy - will be doing both. is there a stand-alone model that does that?

Frankn - no need to apologize for the photos. gets me even more excited!

spartacus53 - I know, I know… you [all] are right. but have yet to read a post where one's purchases didn't [eventually] pay for themselves!

... thanks again, guys!

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Let people know where you are and where you will be hunting. I'm betting you will find someone here that is willing to spend a little time with you in the field or on the beach. Making the machine go 'beep' is easy, understanding what it all means... then how to PROPERLY dig up a find- all very valuable. You don't want to go destroying a great coin or relic with the tip of a digger.

If you are ever on the beach this way, I'd be more than happy to spend an hour with anyone and pass along what little I know...

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you picked a good set up, I swing a 350 and do pretty well with it. As others mentioned the key now is patience and taking the time to learn your machine. The best machine in the world is only an expensive noisemaker unless you know what it's telling you. That combined with research will have you on the finds and having a great time with your new hobby.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well airicqueen, it's to see you come to your senses :laughing7:

After reading your decision, I'll help you yet once again; just for the heck of it :tongue3:

You have decided to go with the Ace350, not bad... Then again you can go with the Ace250 and ave yourself $100 bucks. I would read up on both machines before you make he purchase and look at he comparisons on youtube..

I'll be glad to be the recipient of 50% of that savings. :tongue3:

Keep in mind the only real difference is an extra $100 to have that 3 replace the 2 :laughing9:

P.S. make sure you don't get the control box wet, otherwise you'll have nothing more than scrap metal and plastic, as just the coil is waterproof :icon_thumleft:

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
A test garden would involve(samples) of common items found with detectors. If soil available to plant apart from each other at known depths.(can mark them with i.d.a stake with waterproof label or a map). Things like a nail ,bottle cap,pulltab,different coins. Not saying bury gold,silver,ect. With detector secure and coil sticking over edge of table you can "swipe"ring or silver coin in front of coil to note response. Longer buried items will have a slight difference to them,you,ll see. If a garden spot a problem items could be secured to a strip of fabric,paper,rug ect. Just check area you want to place it in case there is allready something(s)there allready,like a nail or wire under floor. Have FUN! Ohh space items well apart except when wanting to "see"effect of close or masked(blocked by another item ) targets. When you start making recoveries detecting,after you retrieve something check the hole again with detector in case something else is there. I try, but more than once i forgot till hole carefully refilled and got another signal!l.o.l.

Last edited:

dustyspurs

Jun 20, 2012
Lafayette
Detector(s) used
Deus 3.2 , Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a Garrett 350 because it seems to be versatile with regard dirt, beach, and being able to put the coil in water at water's edge. That being said, I'm just learning it and have two questions. Is a pin pointer a good investment? If so, which one? Thanks to the veterans for their help.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the general consensus would be to go with a Garrett Pro Pointer. :icon_thumleft:

I had gotten a deal on a Bullseye II and hate it... Deal, or no deal :laughing7:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Hmmm whats a veteran. A friend handed me a pinpointer to try years ago. Recovery time was greatly reduced,finding little things and coins the same color as soil makes it a must for me anymore. While both detecting daughter and i,while i was making a plug she made a find with pinpointer while waiting to assist!. I don,t "push"brands but use propointer. Its durability biggest reason,without it i,d try anything i could get my hands on. On shallow targets we try it first before recovery attempt. H.H.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions