Ok, Crazy question. What I was told may not be true, but....You never know.

Nightibis

Sep 5, 2011
Rock Hill, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anyone have any idea what the price range is for a Civil War Cannon? Say it's been submerged in a the river since the war. Estimates,
say from a small cannon to large?

I won't really know until I can get out there in a boat to see if this thing really what I was told it was. Supposedly lost in a ferry sinking. I am actually hoping it is true because if it is, I am sure it's not the only thing that got lost if a ferry went down.

Thanks to anyone who replies.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Believe it or not, cannons don't have much value (relatively speaking for the hardship it takes to retrieve one, given their weight, etc....). I know because I know where one is buried in CA, and have thought of retreiving it (this one dates to the late 1700s/early 1800s). So my friend and I did research on the buy/sell market of cannons, and found that they fetch sometimes minimal amounts (or don't sell at all, etc....). Apparently this is because there are simply so many, from so much history around the world, and so many that have been recovered, that ......... the collector/buyer niche has long since been satisfied. I mean, what the heck ...... all you can do is put one in your yard for show, eh? :)

And think of it: if there really WERE much of a value in cannons, there's a bunch that are used in park displays around the entire USA (from various past skirmishes, even back to the CW) simply propped up in monuments at parks. If there were any value, then by now someone would have backed up their truck in the middle of the night and simply helped themselves (which can practically take a fork-lift, for some of the bigger ones! :))

An exception might be if yours is from a provenance -specific highly collectible battle or something? Or a rare kind that's un-known and highly sought after?

OP
OP
Nightibis

Nightibis

Sep 5, 2011
Rock Hill, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, this things been in the water since the war. It would be a beast to raise and float down the river, but I have some ideas on how to do it. To be honost, I am least interested in the cannon and more interested in what else might be there. I imagine there might be some ordnance to go with the cannon.

The article was very interesting. I think that something like a cannon should go to the state museum here in South Carolina. If it turns out to actually be a cannon after I have a look, I may contact the State about them retrieving it and taking possesion of it. Hell, I am sure if I haul it out of the water, they would do that anyways so why not cut out the middle man?

Thanks guys.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Where did you get your resource that says a cannon is in this particular spot? I think I've heard this story before, and that you're going after an item that countless others have already fished for, beneath that same bridge.

That's why all the treasure legends and obvious spots are the LAST place to go treasure hunting, because (doh) everyone else read the same resource ages before you, and tried the same thing. Best to find obscure references, that are not easily researchable.

Well, this things been in the water since the war. It would be a beast to raise and float down the river, but I have some ideas on how to do it. To be honost, I am least interested in the cannon and more interested in what else might be there. I imagine there might be some ordnance to go with the cannon.

The article was very interesting. I think that something like a cannon should go to the state museum here in South Carolina. If it turns out to actually be a cannon after I have a look, I may contact the State about them retrieving it and taking possesion of it. Hell, I am sure if I haul it out of the water, they would do that anyways so why not cut out the middle man?

Thanks guys.

OP
OP
Nightibis

Nightibis

Sep 5, 2011
Rock Hill, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As far as I know it's not beneath a bridge, it's out in open water. I do half believe it is an urban legend though. A good boat ride never hurt anyone those, so there isn't much to lose but time.

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually a CW era cannon can sell in the tens of thousands. There are a lot of dealers out there and they command pretty good prices even in non working condition. Just do a search for "civil war cannon for sale" or check this link : Paulson Brothers Ordnance Corporation

I have a good location for two bronze cannon that would fetch a pretty penny if I could retrieve them but they're underwater and buried in silt. I'd say if it's there and if you can find it, and figure out a good way to retrieve it, it'd be worth your time.

Tom, true there are a lot of them in parks, but most of those have either been plugged with concrete or had the touch hole spiked or welded. It seems that I vaguely remember hearing about someone stealing one out of a park somewhere though.... looking for link : Authorities mystified by stolen Civil War cannon  | ajc.com and : Stolen Cannons

Last edited:

Denarius

May 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Come on, how cool would it be to have a Civil War cannon in your backyard. Who cares what it's worth. Pass it on to your kids. What a legacy. Dig that sucker up.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Not saying sell,but worth buyers offers ,dixie gunworks may still sell them for reproduction ideas.

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
I say go for it. My question is about your remark about asking the state for permission. Why would you have to do that? Is it in a state park?

Just wondering.

Ray S

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread