Im hooked!

W

writer6193

I'm hooked!

Back in the 70's my Father had (and still has) a White's Coinmaster. I thought I'd like to try mding again, and bought a Bounty Hunter Quicksilver. I like the light weight ergonomic design, but I am disappointed that it will not pinpoint. Now I'm looking at pinpointers but admit I know nothing about them. I let Dad have the BH for a week and he was very diappointed. He and his buddy found tons of coins in the late 70's and used ice picks to dig! I want to get 2 detectors, one for Dad and one for me and I am asking you veterans for some adivice. My father is retired in his late 60's and has no hobbies. His eyes really lit up when I gave him the BH to use... I have tons of places to hunt, but I don't want to dig with a spade! I hope that someone can tell me about a detector that is easy to use, and that can pinpoint a coin with a minimally evasive hole; or will a pinpoint device work just as well. I went out my first day and found 2 clad quarters, five dimes (2 silver) and 25 pennies, all along my front sidewalk (I live right in front of our High School.) There are no MD shops or clubs here, but who knows, perhaps I'll start one of my own because I'm hooked!! Feel free to email me.
Thank you in advance for any advice.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
Re: I'm hooked!

what is your budget, and what type of hunting do you plan to do with it? ( coinshooting, relic hunting, beach hunting, prospecting, etc)

OP
OP
W

writer6193

My budget would be about $1000.00 at most. I would love to get them for half of that.

OP
OP
W

writer6193

Hi again, coin shooting in black Illinois soil, artifacts like jewelry but ability to descriminate trash like foil and iron...

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

At 750.00 the WHITE"S XLT is a nice machine. I have 2 of them and I wouldn't change . They are great coin shooting machines as well as jewelry.

Easy to learn. This year has been great for silver,buffaloes, I H , Coin's etc. close to 200 keepers and $285.00 in clad along with gold and silver rings.

Well worth the money.

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000

With a budget of $1000 for two machines, he can't afford to get an XLT and another machine.

writer6193 if you don't mind getting a used machine you could pick a Minelab Xterra 70 for you dad to use. It is routinely going used for about $550 with two coils. It has a large number readout (which I really like) and gets pretty decent depth and is very easy to use. I'm not saying go out and buy just giving you something to think about. As for you, you might want to pick up a used Explorer II. They are good machines and everyone is letting them go cheap because the new SE came out. Do a little research and see what you think of them. Again, these are just suggestions and something to research and think about. Good Luck and HH. Cal

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat

The Bounty hunter 3300 from Radio shack pinpoints pretty good for a cheap detector, and the Garrett Ace 250 seems to be the best all around starter out there.

As far as actual hand held pinpointers go, I like my White's Bullseye 2, but they are prone to switch problems so I hear.

Mike T

Oct 4, 2006

I got to agree with Jeffro about the Ace 250, Theres a 12 year old on one of the other forums whos working a 1800s picnic grove, and is having a ball, He is coming up with some of the best silver finds I've ever seen, handfuls of silver, and he says his Ace 250 performs great. Go to the Garrett forums to see what he's finding, its inspiring to know there are still virgin sites around. Mike T

Johnny Cache Hunter

Oct 16, 2006
North America
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox, White's Spectra V3, Minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have a Garrett Ace 250 and I enjoy it a lot. It's a solid performer and it pinpoints with the best of them. When you consider the average selling price is about $212.00 each, you could easily get two for the figure you wanted to spend.

I also have the Garrett GTI 1500. I think its actually pretty similar to the Ace 250 with the added bonus of being able to size an object under ground, as well as, pinpoint its location. In this way if your hunting quarters you won't dig up coke cans, as the 1500 will tell you the object is too big to be a coin. The 1500 runs about $675.00 so it would push your spending limit a little if you bought two units.

Just my humble 2 cents.
Happy Hunting
Johnny

S

SouthCarolinaTeacher

Garrett's Ace line is good, UNTIL, you get your hands on a White's XLT.

The ace's do exactly what they should; detect metal. The discriminator isn't really what it's cracked up to be. I remember on my Ace 150, the ID never would zone in on a metal, it would continually bounce around the screen.

The White's XLT, on the other hand, gives you an accurate reading as to what the target is. White's VDI is among the best, second best to the DFX, which is XLT's big brother. The only difference between the 2 is the Dual Filtering that the DFX has.

I would definitely shoot for a White's Machine, period. If you are STONE COLD set on getting a Garrett Ace model, consider the White's Prizm line.

You can find more information and help over at the White's Forum:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/whites/index.php

Ian

Treasure-Diver

Feb 8, 2005
Houston, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE W/ SunRay X-1 Probe
BH Pioneer 505
Fisher Impulse UW Pulse Ind.
Fisher F2

Have you thought about switching coils? I have a BH with a 8" and 4" coil. I hunt parks, schools, etc. I use the 4" coil 95% of the time. Its light and you can pinpoint very easily and is great for trashy areas. Are you using the "crossing or X method" to pinpoint? Swinging the coil two directions to make an "X" or cross over the target? Wal-Mart carrys upper end BH 505's for about $300. Great machines and they come with both coils, video, etc. They have all metal mode for pin pointing. Hope this helps. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread