NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I throw everything but the quarters in a jar until I have enough to hit the coinstar. The quarters go in the poker machine. Really eaten up zincolns I just throw in the trash, since no one will accept them, I probably throw away a few dollars worth a year, but I just can't see any way to make hanging on to them worthwhile.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quarters go in washers & dryers at laundry,
Shopping cart at Aldies gets Bent & damaged ones that won't work in machines anymore.
also use quarters in other coin Op machines & parking meters.

Rotted Zinclons get saved till I find out IF I can send them to the Mint & How,
or placed in a Mason Jar when I Have enough, & Buried as a cache.

Rest gets turned in yearly

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
but forgot if you have kids they yell my money an take off with it
Quarters go in washers & dryers at laundry,
Shopping cart at Aldies gets Bent & damaged ones that won't work in machines anymore.
also use quarters in other coin Op machines & parking meters.

Rotted Zinclons get saved till I find out IF I can send them to the Mint & How,
or placed in a Mason Jar when I Have enough, & Buried as a cache.

Rest gets turned in yearly

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everything above pennies go into a change jar, at last count there was almost $700 in it wife has hit it when she needed change for something..........Pennies go into another jar, lost count of how many are there, the zincolins are usually spent, most stores still take them...

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I clean all of my nickles,dimes and quarters in a rock tumbler,then dump in coin star machine.The machine charges you 11cents on the dollar if you take cash,so I put the money on charge card
like home depot,sears and theres no charge per dollar.:leprechaun-hat:

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Usually once a year before I take vacation I tumble the clad and turn it in at the bank. They have a coin machine that does not charge a fee. Then I use it as spending money on vacation.

NJ

Steveo

Jun 12, 2012
upstate Ny
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett gtp1350, Garrett ace150, Whites M6, Whites XLT, Whites QTX, Tesoro Silver Umax,
(RETIRED> ☆Whites Coinmaster TR, ☆Whites Coinmaster 2 TR AM)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I roll all my clad coins up and turn them into my savings account at my bank a few times a year.Yup even the cruddy zincs,any zinc that is ate up or beat up real bad,bent,clipped or halves get's tossed in a 5 gallon bucket,if I ever fill it then I'll deside what to do with them............................................

Steveo

Jun 12, 2012
upstate Ny
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett gtp1350, Garrett ace150, Whites M6, Whites XLT, Whites QTX, Tesoro Silver Umax,
(RETIRED> ☆Whites Coinmaster TR, ☆Whites Coinmaster 2 TR AM)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I clean all of my nickles,dimes and quarters in a rock tumbler,then dump in coin star machine.The machine charges you 11cents on the dollar if you take cash,so I put the money on charge card
like home depot,sears and theres no charge per dollar.:leprechaun-hat:

Really,I did not know you could put that towards a charge card and avoid the coin star charge.Well now I know....................

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It's funny this thread should come along now. I didn't know what i was going to do with the clad and some other finds until about a week ago. I didn't even know how much I had. After every hunt I come home, the clad goes into a strainer to clean off the sand under running water and then into a Rubbermaid container. Most of the clad is pretty clean so doesn't need serious cleaning. The only clad that is toast is some of the stuff off the beaches in AC. and outside of a Charity Hunt i haven't hunted there in almost a year.

So I'm thinking what to do with this found money? I counted it up, seperated the coins that didn't cut it and gave the money to one of the Children's charites I support. $420 in round numbers. There is probably anothr $100 in toasted coins so gotta figure those out.

Last edited:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I take it to my bank twice a year and cash out. At the end of June and end of December. I take the wife to Outback Steakhouse and it feels like a free night out. Its not the only time we go there during the year, but its the only time the bill doesnt feel like a punch in the gut.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my son and i set a goal, keep all the clad we find and when we get enough, buy him a new ace 350, seems like a long while away considering we only have about 5 bucks so far lol

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
my son and i set a goal, keep all the clad we find and when we get enough, buy him a new ace 350, seems like a long while away considering we only have about 5 bucks so far lol

It adds up pretty fast...especially if you find a few dollar coins. Good luck.

NJ

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I save EVERYTHING...My bank knows me fairly well, so they have actually been taking my damaged Coinage....thou recently they pulled all the Coin machines from them, so its time to start rolling them up again....Oh...and sometimes I put my dirty clad in vending machines and hit the coin return , as it will give you different coins back....clean coins :P

raycan

Mar 8, 2009
Texarkana, Tx
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT,Spectra V3I, Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I knew a guy several years ago that would total up all of his clad coins and buy a gold coin, or a key date coin. That way he had something to show for his efforts at treasure hunting. Sounded like a good idea....

BlueDuck

Jun 26, 2009
Hayden, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705, Bounty Hunter
I just bought a new coil with last years clad. So far I usually invest it back into metal detecting one way or another.

MADJOKER

Jun 25, 2011
Missouri City, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 350
Never really thought about this. But these are some great sugguestions, I like the one that includes doing something with the wife. I bet if I did that she would stop complaining about the money and time I spend hunting LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread