I so envy the British.........Another Cache found.

Diggit

Mar 25, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, DFX, GMT and Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm sure THEY envy AMERICANS.

The "crown" gets to decide what to do with ANY "treasure"
If they feel on a whim that they should get 100%, they get it. You get NOTHING.
But as far as just "finding" it, they have THOUSANDS of years of history, to our HUNDREDS.

Last edited:

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
British Treasure Trove law means that if they have not tried to do anything underhand the items found are either returned to them or as it will be in this case where no doubt the island will want to retain them as a tourist attraction and for the history buffs they will receive the value.

No tax to pay either !

Payment will be subject to any arrangement made with the landowner (the norm is a 50/50 split) so they should do quite well.

Only fly in the ointment is the time payment will take to be made. I've waited over two years in the U.K. and four abroad. One hoard finder some years back didn't live long enough to benefit from his find being in his late sixties. Payment was made to his estate and they were hit with 40% inheritance tax. Reg I think is in his early seventies so I hope they don't spend to long sorting things out though I feel it will take a long time as the Channel Islands are a unique case with a mixture of French and British laws.

Detectors used were a Laser, a Golden Mask and a two box from either Whites or C-Scope (they are almost identical).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread