digging in water!!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

What kind of machine are you using? And are you hunting saltwater beaches, in in-land fresh water beaches? If you're hunting salt-water beaches, you might be simply getting a signal off the wet-salt, depending on the machine you're using, and the settings. The XLT, for instance, will do that over a wet-salt spot, (like the momentary thrust in, or out, of the ebbing tide, or over water-filled divots, IF you have your sens. too high. The solution was to lower the sensitivity.

but that's just one example. You'd have to let us know the machine type, and salt or fresh water, and your settings.

Why can't I find stuff in water even in little pools during low tide ill get a good signal pinpoint it and start digging with shovel or sand scoop and never find it signal always stays?? What am I doin wrong?:-) ...thanks for helpin out a newbie!

OP
OP
P

pirate mac

Jun 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What kind of machine are you using? And are you hunting saltwater beaches, in in-land fresh water beaches? If you're hunting salt-water beaches, you might be simply getting a signal off the wet-salt, depending on the machine you're using, and the settings. The XLT, for instance, will do that over a wet-salt spot, (like the momentary thrust in, or out, of the ebbing tide, or over water-filled divots, IF you have your sens. too high. The solution was to lower the sensitivity.

but that's just one example. You'd have to let us know the machine type, and salt or fresh water, and your settings.
its an ace 250 I know I know but i've seen a couple of people matter it...and yes saltwater

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No good in salt water. You have to dumb it way down. Back your sensitivity down.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Terry is right. The 250 is a lemon in wet salt, ESPECIALLY once you start adding minerals to the sand. Minerals are tell-tale from the color of the sand: beach sand that is whiter, is low minerals. Beach sand that is cinnamon colored, is mid-way, and beach sand that is charcoal-ish/grey/gunpowder colored is nasty minerals.

The 250 is simply not a good wet salt sand hunter, and particulary poor if there are minerals too. You've got to turn the sens. down, hold the coil up off the sand, etc... And yes, it'll sound off on voids filled with wet salty water, especially if first going in and out of it, and especially if your sens. is too high.

Or better yet: Just get a better machine :)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are right, your going to need to turn your sensitivity way down..... Ace 250 is not a good beach detector.... It can be used, Crackbadger has shown that, but it is still a poor beach detector, move up to the dry sand and you will be alright, or look for a true saltwater detector....

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other thing many forgot to mention is the quickly shifting sands. Even if you scoop out a good deal of sand, you may just be missing your target and the sand quickly reclaims that area. You have to remember that looking into the water is also distorted and that too can play havoc with the actual spot :laughing7:

suprdave

Aug 3, 2010
LeFlore County Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
theres one other thing that i have found sets off false signals is aluminum cans 12 to 18 in down .when you pinpoint t will read 1 or 2 in you did down but no treasure . the way to keep from digging up al cans is beore you did in the sand raise your md up about a foot and if you still get a signal it is ususally a can .works for me .hope this helps also Suprdave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread