Eastern Shore, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
Any decent detector is going to be too heavy for a 5-year old to handle IMHO.

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
toys'r'us has one on sale this week for under 15 bucks(don't know anything about it)

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
I agree. The Compadre by Tesoro is very light. It weighs about 2 pounds and is adjustable. Check it out.

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Radio Shack has a Bounty Hunter with a on/off knob and one geiger -style readout. Weighs just a couple of pounds. 10 bucks. Designed for kis her age. Other than that I have no further information. GL

Laater...

Johnny Cache Hunter

Oct 16, 2006
North America
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox, White's Spectra V3, Minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From my personal experience with my two daughters, ages 6 and 8 years old, they both have difficulty using my Garrett Ace 250. They have difficulty swinging the unit due to its weight. They often will try to use both hands for the swing but then end up with the detector in the air way above the ground. This of course significantly reduces the chance of finding anything, which subsequently causes them to loose interest in detecting on their own. Instead they will often just walk along with me and help dig out my finds. Another thing I do is a playground run where I will visit several playgrounds over the course of 3 to 4 hours. They get to visit and play at new parks and I detect around the immediate area. I found the swings and the slides to be the best. I bought the Ace for myself so I'm not out anything it's just an extra detector for me and I don't really care if my girls swing for the stars as long as we have fun being out together.

Here is a brief comment from a reputable dealer I've dealt with in Massachusetts regarding metal detectors for children:

"Selecting The Best Metal Detector for Kids
So the child in your life wants to find buried treasure? Each and every day we are asked what is the best hobby metal detector for a child to get started with? To help you select the best unit, be sure to consider their size, age and attention level.
While you will see many inexpensive metal detectors advertised on the internet for under $100, most are of toy quality. All of the units that we offer are of professional quality. While the lower priced units on our site may not have as many features as the more expensive ones, the quality is still top notch.
A metal detector is the perfect gift. The hobby is one that adults and children can enjoy together. The hobby is both fun and educational. It presents a great chance for learning about local and national history while researching finds and new sites to explore. From children to retirees and everyone in between, the hobby has so much to offer. Below are our top picks to help your youngster get started in this fun hobby.

Ages 9 and under:

Our favorite entry level units are the Hays Mark series produced by Hays Electronics. These units are perfectly kid sized metal detectors. While they start at just $69.95 they are well made and produced in Prescott Arizona.

Hays Mark II Metal Detector
Hays Mark I Metal Detector

Ages 10 and up:

Below are our top picks for slightly older children. While each of these detectors is also suitable for an adult, they are moderately priced, feature packed and simple to operate. These units are not quite as small or compact as the Hays detectors, so if your child is small for their age we suggest that you start them out with the Hays units.

Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Tesoro Compadre
Garrett Ace 150
Garrett Ace 250
"

Here is a link in case your interested in seeing these models.

====> http://www.metaldetector.cc/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=33

S

SouthCarolinaTeacher

Even though they don't manufacture them anymore, you can still find them online and at dealers,

White's Classic SL series. easy to use. A SOLID detector, not this toy stuff from radio shack or target.

You can get one for around 100.00 if you look. I would start my search at a local dealer and then work my way online if you can't find one nearby.

Ian

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
I let the girls use the Prizm 11...Its really light...the shaft shortens up to their swing length and its extremely easy to use. Cheyenne also uses the Bounty Hunter but it is a little too bulky and weighs more. . I bought one of those kids one too...really cheap and didnt work so they were discourages immediately by it....

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
My nine year old uses it with out a problem...you could even take the extender shaft out to lighten it more...the only thing that would worry me is if the arm rest/handle is too long for her.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread