Research help

HobokenHam

Tenderfoot
Jul 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am totally new to metal detecting but am enthusiastically looking forward to hunting. Several years ago my wife and I purchased a cabin in north east PA, a town called Dingmans Ferry. Along with the 1.9 acres that came with our cabin we also have a 1/10 th interest in the surrounding 450 acres. It's kind of like having your own park. I know nothing of the history of the area and would like to see if there is information that would help start the hunt. I have tried the Internet but really have found nothing useful. Where can I get more information? Was the land farmed at one time, civil or revolutionary war activity, etc. I am just unsure where to get info. Push comes to shove this weekend I'll be out there and just start. I have a Teknetics T2 by the way.
Thanks

RelicHunter

Greenie
Jul 2, 2012
Leitchfield, KY
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, White's Coinmaster Pro / Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a newbie also and didn't know much about where I was going to dig until I started asking around and someone told me to go to the historical society and I could find out things there. They was right, if I was you I'd see if there is a Historical Society around you and stop in. They have a ton of knowledge!

OP
OP
H

HobokenHam

Tenderfoot
Jul 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good point. I will check and see if there is one.
Thanks for the tip.

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Be very carefully, I think your in the Delaware Watergap national recreation area witch is federal land and you cannot metal detect on federal land

OP
OP
H

HobokenHam

Tenderfoot
Jul 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I get that Federal land is off limits. My first interest is the 450 acres of private land that I am part owner of. After that I will try to scout out non Federal land. It's a shame since the whole of the Delaware river area I believe is off limits. Many of the parks in the area are Federal too. We just obtained about another 50 acres on which there are stone walls. I want to hit that area too.

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can get a permit and hunt nj's worthington state park area. attainable @ ranger station.You can detect Copper mine road from rt 80 to about 7 miles towards blairstown

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Welcome to Treasure Net !!
You mioght also consider contacting the local library and asking for the name, etc. of the Pike Co. historian. The Dingman Ferry bridge has a lot of history; perhaps searching the banks of the river might produce some goodies.
Don.....

OP
OP
H

HobokenHam

Tenderfoot
Jul 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will definitely follow through on the library and historical society angles.
The Dingman's Ferry bridge does have a lot of history. It is one, if not the only, privately owned bridges in the country. I love driving over it.
And thanks flyadive for the suggestion on the worthington state park area. I'll check it out.
Thanks everyone.

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are tolls still collected by an elderly man with a styrofoam cup? When we last drove over the Dingman's Ferry Bridge, about 8 years ago, this is how we paid our toll...into the cup when the man stepped out into the roadway. Quaint to say the least! Love the area you live in.

OP
OP
H

HobokenHam

Tenderfoot
Jul 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, they still collect it that way. But they also sell booklets of tickets if you are a frequent customer. $20 for a booklet gives twenty passings. Very quaint.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread