Anyone have experience with rechargable 9 volt batteries?

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
Of course like most of you the battery cost is eating me up. Them 9 volts 2 in a pack (which my detector takes is running $3 for cheap and 5-6 dollars for better).

I was wondering if anyone out there uses 9 volt rechargeable batteries.

If so do they seem to do ok?

What brand would you say to get if you think they work well?

How many times could I use them realistically before they just don't seem to take a good charge any longer?

Thank you,

Postalrevnant

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Postal, I haven't used them with my MD, but, the re-chargables should be fine as long as they are depleted before re-charging and do not start charging them while they are warm. Keep two sets. One to use and one to keep on the charger. Those re-chargables are best kept if they are cycled all the way down and then fully charged. I do this with my 18 volt re-chargable Ryobi tools and the batteries have lasted over two years.

I am thinking of using them also. I will go with the Energizer brand if I do. Their AA Lithium are the best!

Laater...

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
Guys and Gals;

Here's my 2 cents on the topic:

With 7 kids and 5 grandkids, we switched to rechargeables several years ago (9V, AA, and AAA) We use the Rayovac Nickel-metal-hydride batteries, and keep a charger in the truck and one in the house.

IMHO they are terrific ! I get better life out of the rechargeable AA's in my digital camera than with any brand of disposable battery. The Rayovac fast charger works great, and we have definately cycled some of these batteries through at least enough times to have paid for themselves several times over. I usually wind up re-charging my 9V's for the detector before they are worn out just because I get quite a few hours on them and would hate to have them die in the middle of an 'adventure'.

BTW - you no longer need to drain 'em down before recharging. That was true for some of the older Nickel-Cadmium batteries which developed a "memory" (they would act dead when their plates were only partially discharged) The new Ni-M-H batteries don't care one bit (that's true for your cell phone batteries, too)

Wouldn't ever go back

Diggem'

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once again my rechargeable batteries failed me at an inopportune time. I charged up a set and put them in my walkie -talkie for deer hunting. The went dead in about six hours of just monitoring a frequency. I switched them out with standard alkaline batteries and they are still going after two days of use. However, used in my camera they seem to work OK. Maybe it's because I only turn the camera on for 3 or 4 minutes at a time? Monty

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
I (like diggemall) use NIMH rechargeable batteries in all my detectors (except Excalibur). I use a 15 minute charger that usually charges 8 AAs in about 10 minutes. I always charge them just before I go out and have never seen the battery indicator on the LCD falter much when detecting. I also carry a spare battery pack or extra regular batteries just in case. I use 2500mA batteries which provide power longer than the older type of rechargeable batteries. I would rather use my clad to upgrade detectors not keep battery companies in business. I hate waste.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2500, NimH is also what I have been using. I bought three sets of eight and they all perform similarly. I got a charger with the first set that says it will charge in one hour. When the green indicator comes on indicating a full charge I take them out. If I try to charge them more than when the light come on, they start to get hot and I am afraid of ruining them. I have another charger and both act the same way. I get about 4 hours use in my GTI 2500 before they go dead. In my ACE 250 they go about six hours. They will also discharge on the shelf or in the detector if I don't use them for a few weeks. On standard alkalie batteries I can run my GTI 2500 about eight hours and about 12 hours in my ACE 250. A couple of weeks of nonuse doesn't affect them at all that I can tell. Shelf life seems very long on the alkalies as they always show a full charge even after setting for several months. Others have reported the same problem I am having but yet some seem not to have a problem at all. I don't know what the answer is. I guess you just have to try them and see how they perform for you. I'm sorry I have strayed as I am not talking about the 9-volt batteries, just the AAs. Monty

OP
OP
Postalrevnant

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
THank you all the information you have provided has been very helpful. I just need to decide now. I am thinking that once I can afford it I will get the 2 sets. If nothing else I can use them in other things if they turn out being not strong enough to last good for the detector.

Thanks again for you input it was helpful in my decision.

Postalrevnant

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
I'm with Diggemall. I used the Nickel Metal Hydride 9 Volts when I had the coinstrike. They did drain fairly quickly(got about 6 hours from a charge) but I never had to buy batteries after the initial purchase. You can get some great deals online. And yes you don't have to worry about the memory effect(having to discharge them before recharging like NiCd).

Bob

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
diggemall said:
BTW - you no longer need to drain 'em down before recharging. That was true for some of the older Nickel-Cadmium batteries which developed a "memory" (they would act dead when their plates were only partially discharged) The new Ni-M-H batteries don't care one bit (that's true for your cell phone batteries, too)

Wouldn't ever go back

Diggem'
Thanks for the insight. I will check out the new Hybrids as mentioned. I am opposed to waste as well. For my disposable needs I use the Energizer Lithium E2. 50 hours in my mp3 player as opposed to 25 from a shoddy Duracell. Definitely pay the money for high current batteries. GL

Laater...

OP
OP
Postalrevnant

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
Mirage said:
I'm with Diggemall. I used the Nickel Metal Hydride 9 Volts when I had the coinstrike. They did drain fairly quickly(got about 6 hours from a charge) but I never had to buy batteries after the initial purchase. You can get some great deals online. And yes you don't have to worry about the memory effect(having to discharge them before recharging like NiCd).

Bob

Thank you Mirage. 6 hours is pretty good.

Postalrevnant

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Postalrevnant, I've found that when buying regular batteries, it's better to buy a good brand of alkaline vs. store brand or off-brand. Because I'll replace the cheap ones more often, negating the savings. Eveready is my usual choice. I've never had any luck with Ray-O-Vac batteries at all. (non-rechargeables)

Eveready seems to have higher standards for it's manganese dioxide. (MnO2) There's only one plant in the US that produces MnO2 of high enough quality for their C-cell batteries. The bad batches of MnO2 go out to other companies.

I know it's said that the Ni-M-H batteries don't build 'short memory'. But I seem to get better results by fully discharging them before a re-charge. Maybe I'm fooling myself, but my cellphone is still on it's original battery and will stand by for days without a charge. While people with newer phones are complaining they can only get 24 hours, maybe that's their excuse for being "unavailable for callout". :P

raptor5618

Sep 4, 2006
I have had great results with rechargables including D's. They have some higher Mhr batteries now that last quite a long time. I have some AA's that I have been using for years and they still seem to last just as long as before. I think there is no question that they will pay for themselves many times over. If you search on line you can find some for as little as $1 a battery for 2500 Mhr (not sure this is the right symbol but you should get the idea). I have two sets and always have one ready to go.

I think the first time or couple times you use them they do not seem to charge up fully but after that they seem to work better. However, for applications where the draw is very small or infrequent I use generic batteries. I have read that rechargables do not work as well in those types of uses.

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Post...great topic!! I was contemplating going to rechargeables myself....still not sure if I will or not. One thing I do know about batteries...whether they be rechargeable or not...the cold will kill them...never leave them outside overnight when its cold,this will knock the life right out of them.

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
I use all rechargeables and am very happy with them,I have two sets and I get about 8-10 hours use on a charge with explorer. I have to side with the guys who say to drain them dry though. I dont know about the memory issue but I know they will have a much longer lifespan and will easily pay for themselves.Cons,they wont keep a charge for more than a couple weeks if they sit around and if left say overnight in cold temperatures they will lose most of their charge. Not sure about the 1 hour quickie chargers,I have a high quality charger and it advises a 12 hour charge which is fine with me as long as I keep getting good results. I have some rechargeables I use for camera,walkie talkies ect...that I have had for several years still working saving me money :}

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread