electriceye

Jun 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETrac (purchase pending)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All-

I posted the below thread in another area but got no replies so I'm hoping someone can answer a few simple questions.
I also have another post (with my first find) but that's a different area. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/todays-finds/300725-very-strange-rock-find-ever-seen-before.html

Well, let's see. I'm a newbie when it comes to detecting, but figure I will learn at my own pace like everyone else. I have been considering the E-Trac (new or used) as it sounds like a good all around purchase. If it is not water proof, however that may be a deal breaker for me as I intend to hit alot of streams, rivers and lake areas. Do they make a waterproof coil for it? The CTX3030 sounds intriuging as well, but not sure I want to fork out that much for my first good detector.

Another possible issue: I have alot of titanium in my body- 17 3" screws, plates and skeletized framework(unfortunately). Is this going to cause an issue with readings even though titanium is non-ferrous? I don't want to sell my beautiful pistol to get a super metal detector only to find I cannot use one...because I'm part terminator now. :sadsmiley:

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
guess you need to try one out. see if you can find someone in your area who has a machine to test.

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I can answer you the titanium question, yes you can metal detect all you want. I have titanium pins and screws in my leg and a md can pick them up just if you run the coil over them. Otherwise no problem. Now on the md for you let me tell you it is not a good idea to start off with a top of line md. You need to start low and climb the learning hill. If you start right off with a complicated machine you will most likely get lost and not be able to set it up. If a water proof detector is your priority I would suggest a at pro (even if I don't like it). If you can go over the waterproof problem than my suggestion would be a whites mxt. It is, in my opinion, the best all around mid level detector ever made.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

skscott

Greenie
Jul 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Tesoro Lobo Supertrac has a waterproof coil and is really easy to learn and use. No bells and whistles. No display, but you really learn to distinguish sounds. Dig everything at first. It's fairly inexpensive and as long as you're not going under water with the unit, the coil is waterproof. Lifetime warranty too.

OP
OP
E

electriceye

Jun 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETrac (purchase pending)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, thanks for all the advice folks! Exactly what I needed to hear. :) After my rock find I think I'm going to be hooked on detecting as it will get me back outdoors and doing something fun (hopefully). I'm going to be a grandpa in a few more days, and I want to get some time and research under my feet. Before I know it me and the little one may be a junk/treasure finding team! ;) Thanks again for all the replies! HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread