Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
You have to research your area. I have been going to the library and such to find locations. I am currently digging this site a good friend told me about. It looks promising.

image-4210926670.jpg

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find old maps....census and topos. Search your area at Library of Congress online. Ask where people used to meet like fairgrounds etc. When people used to travel they frequently camped overnight. Many old campsites are overlooked. They had to have water so any springs are worth checking to see if they were used as campsites. Ask the old timers where old homes etc were that are no longer there. Don't be afraid of asking to hunt existing old homes. Just make sure you leave it better than ya found it. The list goes on. Just my 2 cents.

Tunja

Mar 6, 2011
Hey y'all, I'm "kinda" new to the hobby. I've been a member here for a while, and i've studied up on how/where to look. Actually doing the research on the how/where/why became my hobby, as i didn't have a metal detector.

Well, I've decided to trade an old double barrel shotgun from about 1900 that's just been collecting dust in my closet. I don't think it's worth much more than $100 or $200. Anyway I've had a couple offers..one guy with a Fishers detector i'm supposed to try and touch base with tonight, but he lives like an hour away and I'm not sure how interested he really is. Another guy has a Pioneer Bounty Ex, and he seems really interested. I know it's sort of a "beginners" model, but i'm sort of a beginner myself...just looking for some silver coins or old gold jewelry. And as i write this someone else has texted me and is interested. We'll see what this guy has to offer.

Is pioneer bounty ex a decent detector for someone looking to casually hunt for silver coins and old caches that might be buried a foot or so underground? Can you dip the coil of most of these models in a river?

okay, the other guy has a bounty hunter 1100...seems like it's in the same category as the Pioneer Bounty EX, but the buy with the bounty hunter says he can thrown in a 1900 Morgan Dollar New Orleans
Just looking for some tips here

Last edited:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are HUNDREDS of places to hunt. Most will be found in publications on the subject. The entire soup kettle will boil down to WHEREVER PEOPLE GATHER. Using your imagination, you may create some new ones! My favorite (land) type of place is where the topsoil is scraped away previous to new construction (an EPA thing). I hunted the SW corner of Howard and Kinnikkinic, in Milwaukee, WI a couple of years ago. I found 28 wheats, 4 silver dimes, a 1922 nickle, and one silver quarter over about 7 visits that summer. Oh, and one clad penny. Because they removed the top layer, they put me 4/5 inches closer to the good stuff! There was alot of slag here too but I endeavered to persevere.(welcome to the NET!) TTC

OP
OP
Bassmaster

Bassmaster

Jul 7, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the free advice! I'm gonna hunt on a field where the local fair is held, also where an old house used to be that I found on a map of 1926. I know I will probably have to dig tons of pulltabs and bottlecaps in the fairground to find the good. Hopefully nobody has beat me to it!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You'll do good. Don't let the trash dicourage you. ENDEAVER TO PERSEVERE! TTC

OP
OP
Bassmaster

Bassmaster

Jul 7, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to a local playground and found about $3 in clad. I'm very surprised at how accurate my MD can identify a target, as well as gauge the depth. I'm starting to get a feel for the hobby.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread