Tips on Cutting plugs with No Damage

mountainplayer

Oct 10, 2006
Way Northern California
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 & Minelab EX2
Hi all,

Been hunting for three weeks or so, and having a ball. The other day I hit one of the parks again, and to my horror noticed that the turf was discoloring in one of the spots I dug. I thought I was being so careful and responsible!

Here's what I do. I carry a sharp hunting knife, and after taking lots of time to make sure of my pinpointing, I cut straight down through the turf in a circle about 3-4" in diameter (depending on id depth). Once I've got my cut made, I use a small stainless steel hand shovel to pop out the plug. If the target is in the plug, I'll slice it in half with the knife, then work it gently back and forth until I either feel the object or dislodge it.

I carry a drop cloth so I don't get dirt on the turf around the hole, and work the plug back carefully and fluff up the grass so there is no trace. I'd really like to know how some of you folks are doing things, tools being used, etc.

MP

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
Plugs always turn yellow/brown and look bad. A better method I saw mentioned on a forum is to cut a triangle and lift the pointed end to look for the target. After you retrieve the target put all the dirt back into the hole and shut the flap. The limits the cuts in the ground to only two instead of the regular three (easier on the turf). If you leave that one side of roots uncut the flap has a better chance of mending itself without the tell-tale sign of digging. Give it a try. HH Cal

lucky1777

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2005
Illinois
I cut a horseshoe. Leave the one side attached and flip the plug back. You will still get the brown grass, but it grows back faster. I try to do all my house yards in the spring or late Fall (after a good freeze). The grass will be dormant and not show any evidence. Try and watch the weather. If there is rain coming in the next day or two, the plug may not turn brown.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
if its dry out, its almost impossible to keep the grass from turning brown, unless you water each plug.(and who does that) after the first rain the plugs will turn green again. to avoid the brown patches only dig plugs in moist conditions. they wont turn brown at all then.

OP
OP
mountainplayer

mountainplayer

Oct 10, 2006
Way Northern California
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 & Minelab EX2
Thanks for the responses, everyone. I'll try cutting flaps like was suggested here, makes a lot of sense.

I've got another question. When you're hunting private property (homes, etc.) what do you tell the owner about the signs of digging that you'll leave. Do you let them know that there will be some yellowing of the grass that will clear up with time, or do you confine your hunts to the periods when the grass is dormant?

Don't mean to beat this thing to death, but I live in a small town and I've been denied permission several times. I suspect it has something to do with bad experiences with MD'ers in the past. Not only do I want to avoid making things worse, but I'd like people to know I respect their land and don't plan on raping it for a meager (or even great) find.

MP

wolfpaw518

Oct 15, 2006
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Sharpshooter II
A lot depends on where your hunting, if your in his front yard, might not be a bad idea to casually mention it, if your out back by the banks of the river, don't sweat it.

I generally stay away from well manicured areas. The places I prefer to hunt don't really matter that much as long as I do the basic cleanup an kick some leaves over it.

neil ;)

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some people even carry a plastic squirt bottle full of water and give the plug a few squirts after replacing the plug. If possible I always show the landowner how I cut a plug and leave it to them to decide. Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions