Best places to hunt?

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old homes are among my favorite. Either an existing structure or where one has been. Just ask and you will be surprised how many will let you. I give a business card to add a little accountability when I introduce myself. Just assure them you will leave no damage (and don't) and you will get to hunt several. Often times the neighbors will see you and come up talking. When they see how it is done they will often let you hunt their property. You will get a few who say no but eventually you will get a yes or two. Good luck.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Talk up metal detecting to EVERYONE. Tell them of the rings you found and returned. Generate leads as a salesman does. Keep a notebook of leads, just like the better salesmen do. And RETURN a call if you said you would. And look WHEREVER PEOPLE GATHER! TTC

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might consider contacting your local (and other) insurance agents and leave your card or name and number. And relate to them that you would offer your services if any one that may have any jewelry that is insured and may be lost, that you would offer your services to search for free. But if you found it there would be a 20% finders fee. Example: If a $20,000.00 ring is lost and you found it you would recieve $2,000.00 fee and if was not found the insurance company would have to pay the $20,000.00. I am sure the insurance company would rather pay $2,000.00 instead of $20,000.00.

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have owned an Insurance Agency for nealy 20 yrs and I really believe that when people like and trust you they are glad to help you. Many of my best sites have come from people who I approached about hunting and then struck up a friendship. The elderly are a wealth of information and often really enjoy sharing their memories and knowledge of local history. Sharing a few of your finds will often go a long way if you are so inclined. I agree with TerryC 100%. Ask for leads and people are often very happy to send you in the direction of land owners who have old schools, homes, etc. on their property.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pepperlizard?? I'm not EVEN gonna ask how you got stuck with that name! TTC

OP
OP
Pepperlizard

Pepperlizard

Jun 17, 2012
Valhalla
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a bearded dragon some years ago named pepper, I have been using that name ever since ;). And thanks to those of you that have offered tips so far. Going off of what I have heard so far, what is the best wat to approach homes/companies (what to say, time of day, anything relevent)?

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a bearded dragon some years ago named pepper, I have been using that name ever since ;). And thanks to those of you that have offered tips so far. Going off of what I have heard so far, what is the best wat to approach homes/companies (what to say, time of day, anything relevent)?
My suggested approach would be a SOFT SELL conversation. Get your haircut at different barbers just to BE at different places. Converse with people but don't force them to the wall (soft sell). Find reasons to do press releases. I found a ring that was made during the Civil War. A reporter came down and took my pic with the ring. I left a phone number with the paper and FOUR people were interested in my help to find things for them or people they knew. I have been detecting for 40+ years. I can TALK that long again about detecting, if you let me. I LOVE this activity! Let me stop, I gotta take a breath! Take care. TTC

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know that beaches, swimming holes, and road/sidewalk tear ups are good places to MD, anyone else have any tips on good places to go?

Welcome from White Plains, New York! Try to research places people gathered in the PAST (1870 - 1950).

A Few Land Sites to Get You Started:

1) Old Schools
2) City/Town Parks
3) Circus/Fair Sites
4) Old Churches
5) Old Homestead Sites
6) Swimming Holes and Areas
7) Picnic Groves
8) Athletic Fields
9) Scout Camps
10) Rodeo Arenas
11) Campgrounds
12) Ghost Towns
13) Beaches
14) Old Taverns
15) Roadside Rest Stops
16) Sidewalk Grassy Strips
17) Amusement Parks
18) Rural Mailboxes
19) Reunion Areas
20) Revival sites
21) Fort Sites
22) Winter Sledding Areas
23) Lookout/Overlook Sites
24) Church Supper Groves
25) Fishing Spots
26) Fishing Camps
27) Resorts
28) Old Barns and Outbuildings
29) Battle Sites
30) Band Shells
31) Racetracks
32) Rural Boundary Walls
33) Roadside Fruit and Vegetable Stands
34) Under Seaside Boardwalks
35) Flea Market Areas
36) Ski Slopes
37) Drive Ins
38) Canal Paths
39) Vacant Lots
40) Motels
41) College Campuses
42) Farmer Market Areas
43) Town Squares
44) Urban Yards and Backyards
45) Disaster Sites
46) Areas Around Skating Ponds
47) Hunting Lodges and Camps
48) Mining Camps
49) Railroad Grades, Stations and Junctions
50) Hiking Trails
51) Waterfalls
52) Rural Dance Sites
53) Lover's Lanes
54) Areas Adjacent to Historical Markers
55) Old Gas Stations and General Stores
56) Fence Posts
57) Chicken Houses
58) Bridges and Fords
59) Flower Beds
60) Playgrounds
61) Old Garbage Dumps
62) Cloth Lines
63) Military Camp and Cantonment Sites
64) Wells and Outhouses
65) Abandoned Houses and Structures
66) Areas where Old Trails Cross County or State Boundaries
67) Piles of Scraped Soil at Construction Sites
68) Old Stone Quarries
69) Areas Around Old Abandoned Cemeteries in the Forest
70) Junctions of Abandoned Roads (crossroads)

Good Luck!

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All good suggestions with the exception of #49 - railroad grades, stations and junctions. From what I have read, it is ILLEGAL to MD (or even be on) on any railroad property, unless you have actual business with the railroad (passenger, authorized construction worker, etc.). Property includes tracks (within 25 feet of right of way on either side) that are active or not, stations, junctions, crossings, buildings, etc. Doesn't matter if stations/buildings are not in use or abandoned. Railroads will prosecute! You will lose your equipment (and not get it back), pay hefty fines and possibly do jail time. Only exception to this is when railroads have sold or given the right of way to make recreational "rail trails" (hiking, biking, horse trails) to towns or states. THEY may have their own rules, however, about MD on the rail trails. Since there are so many other great places to hunt, leave RR property alone. Remember, the railroad NEVER loses!

Enjoy the hobby and HH!

OP
OP
Pepperlizard

Pepperlizard

Jun 17, 2012
Valhalla
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Add creeks to that long list of sites. I found a good part of either a necklace or a bracelet that's gold plated while looking in the mud on the side of the water. It will be in today's finds forum on Sunday when I get home from this trip.

Srhoads

Apr 26, 2012
Rantoul, IL
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't forget golf courses ( if u can get permission). Little to no dirt movement so older is closer to surface.

Look at the trees. Big trees with the roots showing indicate little landscaping around them.

Curbside in older parts of town.

Old crossroads.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Useless Eater

Greenie
Mar 12, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
abandoned railroad beds are common everywhere in the US, I'm sure you have noticed driving a highway or interstate pieces of abandoned tracks some entire lines where abandoned but all existing rail lines have been straitened and improved since their initial installation, check old maps for their routes prior to expensive tunnels, trestles and cuts and old switches also that are likely on private land now but I agree stay away from present and active railroads

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions