Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800

Past:
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Tesoro Silver uMax
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So this plot map is from 1857 and I'm kind of confused by some of the markings. ??? I was hoping someone could help me out.

The arrow on the left I believe are train tracks, but the arrow on the right points to a solid line with dots following along the left side. Anyone have any idea what this is? Wagon Trail, horse trail?
Also Obviously there are squares with lines through them that mark the city blocks, but what are the 2 rectangles I circled? they have the same slash markings as city blocks, but due to the size they have to be something else... Anyone throw me a bone here?:BangHead:

Marked by trevor M photography, on Flickr

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So this plot map is from 1857 and I'm kind of confused by some of the markings. ??? I was hoping someone could help me out.

The arrow on the left I believe are train tracks, but the arrow on the right points to a solid line with dots following along the left side. Anyone have any idea what this is? Wagon Trail, horse trail?
Also Obviously there are squares with lines through them that mark the city blocks, but what are the 2 rectangles I circled? they have the same slash markings as city blocks, but due to the size they have to be something else... Anyone throw me a bone here?:BangHead:

Marked by trevor M photography, on Flickr

cranberry bogs?

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First of all, there is no such thing as a plot map.

This is a US Survey Plat Map, from the original Public Land Survey of Town 115 North, Range 17 East - done by Thomas Simpson, Deputy Surveyor in 1854. This was the first survey of the public lands so they could be sold. They can be found on the BLM web site, and that's where this is from.

The arrow on the left pointing to a line is a topographical feature, likely a bluff line since the creek is to the north of it.

The arrow on the right pointing to a line is a trail.

The rectangles are fields under cultivation.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

WIDirtFishing

Apr 29, 2010
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800

Past:
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Tesoro Silver uMax
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the help! That makes sense.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to help. Looks like you are on the right track for maps; that's a good source. Now look for the field notes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread