Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not too familiar with the concept.

However, a couple years ago, I buried a small change purse with some common date silver/wheaties in a park in east Tennessee. I went back a couple months later, and it was gone - probably made somebodys year.

S

SouthCarolinaTeacher

I geocache and detect. One of the guidelines to placing a "GeoCache" is that it must not be buried to where you would need a shovel or a pointed object to dig it up. BUT, you can place it under things, such as large boulders, large pieces of bark from trees, etc.

www.geocaching.com

Ian

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
TD,

not into "Geo-caching".

Have come across several of their caches while
working the woods.

Not sure I could really get into looking for something
that someone has placed to be found. ???

have a good un.......

Kale1

Nov 2, 2006
My question is why did you bury the change purse Night Stalker?Was it to make a coin garden?Just thought I would ask.

S

SouthCarolinaTeacher

Geocaching is it's own sport as is metal detecting.

I partake in both and they both have their pro's to them. Geocaching is a way for people to see different types of landmarks, buildings, history, etc by placing a cache at the site intended to be seen.

All Geocaches are found using GPS coordinates. Some are simple, "Plug-in and find" caches but there are the ones with "Puzzles" to figure out in order to the coordinates.

I would say that 80% of the large caches are Ammo Boxes, which are metal. You can EASILY detect one of those if you wished to.

Tourezrick

Nov 2, 2006
South Side of Chicago (the baddest part of town)
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Been a Geocacher for years, although haven't been real active as of late. Geocaching is an excuse for a good walk in the woods, most of the time. Once in a while, you get a cache that is tied into some place significant. My two favorite caches are centered around the French in Illinois in the early 1700's. One site (mine) is located at an old French fort in Joilet, Illinois. Haven't MD'd there yet, but it looks promising. Cache name is "On Rollon Ma Boulle", a song the French voyageurs sang to pass the time as they paddled along. The other cache is called "Grand Village of the Meremek", located about 30 miles West of the French Fort, an Indian village that was wiped out around 1730 by French and Indians from the French Fort. you can still see the rifle pits the French dug. Another good cache site is the original location of Argonne National Lab, where the first two nuclear reactors are buried. Lots of two headed deer (ever see a 26 point buck?) and salamanders. Shermanville has MD'd there, and I plan going soon. Lots of people put caches out just to put them out, or hide them under rocks in a rock garden, but there are some gems to be found - just like Md'ing!

Tourezrick

OP
OP
T

Treasure-Diver

Feb 8, 2005
Houston, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE W/ SunRay X-1 Probe
BH Pioneer 505
Fisher Impulse UW Pulse Ind.
Fisher F2
Cool,

Thanks everyone for the great comments. I just may have to give it a try! HH

Marty-Graw

Feb 8, 2006
Albertville Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Garrett Treasure Ace 300
Kale1 said:
My question is why did you bury the change purse Night Stalker?Was it to make a coin garden?Just thought I would ask.

he must have been trying to grow a money tree, lol

Marty

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kale1 said:

For a future detectorists to find.....and they did ;D

partenr

Jan 12, 2007
Eastern Washington State
Detector(s) used
White's Classic II
I've done both a little. I've went to several geo-caches last year that required short hikes into old homesteads. You would not have known there was a settlement there if it weren't for the geo-cache information (old foundation sort of obscured by the brush, old fruit trees that had NO business in the arid environment but I wouldn't have noticed). It (geo-caching) may actually be an outstanding resource to find historic locations. It is for me.

Mark S.

Jan 25, 2005
I was searching a beach during a club outing. Got a large hit. Dug down a foot and hit a metal box. When I finally got it pulled out it was an ammo container containing a geo-cache. Didn't know what I had when I was pulling it out. Thought maybe it was a drug drop or something. Looked all around to make sure there wasn't a gun pointed at me. I signed the book and reburied it.

Mark S.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread