Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Jul 2012

trouble with my ace 250

Im a newbie to this site n md. Im having problems telling if it is trash or something good. I usually dig everything so i can get familiar with my machine but i will pick up a tone that is all over the place n dig it n than the object disappears! Im just looking for tips to find anything worthwhile!

Dec 2007
    Culdesac, Idaho
    62 times
    There are two common reasons for having ghost signals with a metal detector. The first being that you could be wearing steel toe boots and are getting too close to your foot. The second being that the object is so small that you dig it up without realizing it.

For the second reason, people tend to use a pinpointer. A small wand-like device that can help you find tiny metal objects.

When you are metal detecting, what you should be looking for is a nice steady tone. That tone should be the same if you pass over the same spot more than once.
    Once you get the hang of it, you will begin to notice the tone differences between coins, pulltabs, nails, and other objects. But there is nothing wrong with digging everything up.

us
    Garrett watersports!

Apr 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
    182 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by allen_idaho View Post
    There are two common reasons for having ghost signals with a metal detector. The first being that you could be wearing steel toe boots and are getting too close to your foot. The second being that the object is so small that you dig it up without realizing it.

For the second reason, people tend to use a pinpointer. A small wand-like device that can help you find tiny metal objects.

When you are metal detecting, what you should be looking for is a nice steady tone. That tone should be the same if you pass over the same spot more than once.
    Once you get the hang of it, you will begin to notice the tone differences between coins, pulltabs, nails, and other objects. But there is nothing wrong with digging everything up.
    Couldnt have said it better...Great advice there!
    Just remember...what you miss today...I will find tomorrow!

Oct 2005
    XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
    135 times
    Do people still wear steel toed boots ? If so the problem would be there all the time. Plus tiny targets will still be there by the hole to be found. More likely to high a sensitivity for the ground conditions is being used or the "target" is a iron or mineralisation halo thats being broken and becomes undetectable when the ground is dug.

us
    Jul 2012
    WEST TN
    F2,pinpointer that came with it
    9 times
    im new and wear stell toe boots No wonder my detector been blasting with every step i take lol. If i disc out iron on my f2 u think it will cut out the noise? i wld check but the detector is n my room mates car at her work. And the only other boots i have r shoes is knee hi snake proof boots. Gotta have steel toe for work btw and i always disc out iron anyways thanks.

us
    Anita

Apr 2012
    New Hampshire & Maine
    V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster
    334 times
    Sometimes shoes have metal inner soles/arch supports that we don't know about because they are usually under the inner sole and lining of the shoe. They are not sold as "steel toes" but are part of regular shoes, sneakers, work boots, etc. and can't be removed without ruining the shoes. You don't know which shoes have them unless you pull the shoe apart. Can be found in cheap shoes and expensive shoes, makes shoes more durable. Try running your detector over all of your shoes and see what, if anything, registers. Also, metal shoe lace grommets (holes) will register.

us
    Jul 2009
    Whiting, NJ
    Ace 250
    993 times
    Have you checked your batteries Sometimes just replacing batteries will resolve that issue, even if they are brand new

Feb 2007
    Bradenton, Fl
    ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac
    570 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    used the 250 for 3 years and usually it is from the sensitivity being too high. Practice by digging everything at first and you will get to know alot more about the machine. Then when you know it better you might be a little more discriminating about what you dig.
    Debby

Charter Member
    us
    Chronic Patriot

Jul 2010
    Watkins Glen N.Y. Finger Lakes Region,Beaver Dams N.Y.
    Teknetics T2 LTD Enhanced,Tesoro Toltec II Gray Ghost Ultimate's,Depth Master Super Phones II,Garrett Pro Pointer,Treasure Wise Diggers T10",T12" & T14" 28" Lesche Ground Shark
    1303 times
    is your cell phone on when this is happening?
    I`v been detecting for 45 years owned my own detector shop G.A.P. Metal Detectors here in N.Y.
    See my old adds in Western & Eastern Treasures and Lost Treasure Magazines through the 90s
    I hunt the Sullivan Trail here in N.Y.
    Its the Golden Rule who ever has the Gold Rules"
    ReadyShovel Holster

us
    Jul 2009
    Whiting, NJ
    Ace 250
    993 times
    cntrydncr1 also has a good point.. Keep the sensitivity level at about 3 bars

Jul 2012
    Tks everybody for the tips i checked my shoes n changed the batterys n i do bring my cell phone will have to leave it in the car! Im getting better everyday with my machine still no silver

Sponsored Links