Im afraid im passing up silver or goodies....

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
does anyone have an ace 350 that can help with this? I get a signal which reads coin around 6-8" and i pinpoint it and start digging. Before you know it i have dug to the center of the earth and lava starts coming out and nothing as far as metal is concerned. so then i proceed to ream out the hole to a good 36 feet wide, (sarcasm of course) and still nothing. after tht happens a time or two on a hunt, i give up on those signals. Im afraid im doing something wrong or not pinpointing correctly, anyone have any videos, or tips/advice for this? Thanks and HH

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no clue why you're getting what appear to be false signals, but I would suggest making sure your discrimination setting is no more than 3 bars when starting. Also check your batteries and maybe replace them. Other than that I've got noting else for you :tongue3: Good luck

It also appears that this machine is relatively new to you, I think you just need several more hours to get accustomed to it.

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
set up a coin garden and practice pinpointing, the ace 350 has the DD coil so wiggle your coil back until the target drops off the tip of the coil

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
What are you trying to dig? Signal wise. As i wrote last time slow down. If you have no signal after plug/flap,digging. Slowly scan with detector(heres where a hand held pinpointer could help) around hole and any soil you removed. Scan hole to be sure signal gone and start scanning small amounts of what you removed before adding back to hole. when hole filled with checked on all sides plug/flap check area again. A piece of wire,a shoe eyelet,tiny things can drive you nuts. I,ve had them in flap not give a signal and in dug soil three inches not signal ,guessing because of position being changed when i moved it. Machine can pick up some tiny stuff with its halo,taking it out of halo equals less to get signal from. Part of learning your sensitivity is recovering targets . Stick with it till you find it!

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 350 will give you false signals if the sensitivity is up too high. If you are digging and finding nothing try turning the sensitivity down to around halfway. You might be hitting little patches of mineralized soil. I've also found little clumps of powdered rust that blend in with the dirt pretty well that were probably once a bottle cap and were still round until I dug and they crumbled.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

This seems like one of those questions where we'd have to be there, to see what you're doing, and listen to what you're hearing, to be able to properly diagnose this.

For example, one time I was out with a newbie, who wanted some lessons. We were searching around some old WWII army barracks. At a certain point the newbie got disgusted at a hole which he was digging bigger and bigger, deeper and deeper. The "signal wasn't there!". He called me over, and asked me to check it. I took one swing over the hole, and immediately saw the problem. Of which, mind you, there would have been NO WAY to have diagnosed in printed text. I simply had to be there to see, and sample, to assess:

The newbie had gotten a signal at the exact corner of an old barracks, where the corner met the ground. It turns out, that the "beep" he was hearing was simply a concealed upright metal pipe or alumimin siding or something, that was within the wooden wall. The man had been getting a "beep" because the leading front edge of his coil would pick up the signal coming from the corner of the building. And the newbie just assumed the beep was coming from "down", rather than realizing that his front tip of the coil, was hearing the corner of the building.

This is just one example, so don't get "lost in the example". There can be lots of such easy explanations, where the problem can not lend itself to printed text, to explain. They're often things that have to be "heard" or "seen", since text can not do justice to trying to explain. You know, it'd be like saying "please describe the sound of c-minor in print". It can't be done. It has to be heard.

So your best bet may be to hook up with someone proficient in your area, and trade off signals. See how he swings, see how he isolates signals. See what he's listening for, chasing, avoiding, etc... Trade flagged signals back and forth, and see what his pre-dig assessment is. Ie.: I'd pass this, or I'd dig this, or whatever.

does anyone have an ace 350 that can help with this? I get a signal which reads coin around 6-8" and i pinpoint it and start digging. Before you know it i have dug to the center of the earth and lava starts coming out and nothing as far as metal is concerned. so then i proceed to ream out the hole to a good 36 feet wide, (sarcasm of course) and still nothing. after tht happens a time or two on a hunt, i give up on those signals. Im afraid im doing something wrong or not pinpointing correctly, anyone have any videos, or tips/advice for this? Thanks and HH

mountainplayer

Oct 10, 2006
Way Northern California
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 & Minelab EX2
I own the Ace250, not the 350, but that shouldn't make much difference here. I have a possible reason for your ghost signals. Deep iron will sometimes false as a high conductor (on any detector, not just the Ace250). When you dig it up, the signal changes and is more accurately determined by the detector. If you are discriminating iron, this means that when the iron is recognized as iron, the signal disappears. This can happen with an actual iron object, or with an object that has completely decomposed into rust. In this case, simply breaking up the rust dissipates the signal and it disappears.

I don't think pinpointing is the issue. If it was, you'd still hear a signal...you just wouldn't find the target without destroying some turf.

I also do not think the problem is falsing due to high sensitivity...if this were the case, your signal would not be repeatable. (I assume your signal was repeatable, anyway).

P.S. I upgraded to a Minelab EXII about 2.5-3 years ago. Deep iron still fools me sometimes.

cactusrat

Jun 27, 2012
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Something else to thing about. It could be something so small that your not seeing it. This is where a hand held pin pointer comes in real handy.

I have found lots of wire, chicken wire that is less than one fourth of an inch long and rust so it’s hard to see in the dark dirt, that gets over looked without a pin pointer. Even then it is hard to find sometimes. One time I spent half an hour to find a one eighth inch rust chicken wire not much bigger than a hair in diameter.

Like others have already said; sensitivity might be to high, mineralized soil, batteries, and plan a coin garden to practice pin pointing. I will add to check your coil wire to make sure it’s not flapping around. Are you wearing shoes with metal eyelets or steal toes or shanks?:dontknow:

SeaninNH

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2010
New Hampshire USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You could just have to dig deeper.

i've dug quite a few really deep targets (over 1') and I once dug a bug spray can at 20" or so. Check out my videos on youtube. You'll see it in there somewhere.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread