Whites beach hunter 300 or garrett infinium ls?

Lbcwanabe

Jun 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive searched and read all pertinent threads and narrowed it down to these two detectors. Mostly for the warranty and customer service reputation. I would like a excal ii but cant justify the exta $400 for a machine with a lesser warranty.

My main detector is a whites mxt and i love it, so i think i am leaning towards the 300. It will mostly be used for saltwater surf and other salt aplications. Coil floating is a nonissue.

Does anyone have first hand experience with either of these? Any and all input is appreciated.
Thanks,
Russ

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Russ, just get either a Whites Dual Field or a Tesoro Sand Shark, and save yourself some money and grief. Lifetime warranty on the Sand Shark, and it will find everything the Infinium or whites will. Good Luck!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
gold cross chain.jpg Get the whites surfmaster PI . it goes deep and the salt and black sand won't bother it. If cost is a problem get a used one. They have been in production over 10 years. Mine is a 2nd generation. I think there are 4 generations, but they all are pleasers and will pick up thin gold chains.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmmm, must be going on twenty years since Whites outsourced to Bill Lahr to develop the Surfmaster. Light, cheap, but not that deep. Lacked basic controls, had a thin black waterproof seal that people would often drop out whilst changing batteries which would lead to a drowning.
The supposed improved "Pro" version had the pulse delay removed and a gain fitted. This made the detector unstable/cut performance in various hunting conditions. Both controls are essential for the best results so they reintroduced them with the Dual Field (or you could get a Bill Crabtree modified model). You still don't have an adjustable SAT control with most U.S. pulse machines. When you have had a machine with SAT you would not want to be without.

If you can pick up either a European or Mr.Bill modified Surfmaster then they are a cheap entry into pulse detecting thats easy to use, just take care of the seals, no twist, no grit etc.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
cheerio-1.jpg Must have the version just before the pro, I thought it was the pro, but it only has the delay. I usually just set the two knobs to the preset mark and go. I even pulled targets from a black sand area with no problem. I have used it on beaches from Key West to DE's coin beach with good results. Found that thin gold chain on coin beach. I bought it new a bit over 10 years ago. The seal is a "rubber" 'O' ring. You can get it with a beach coil or a weighted coil. It has paid for itself many times over. Just turn on and go. We must have good beaches on the Atlantic, I also used it on the beach in Cal & OR. The Surfmaster PI has worked well for me. As far as dept, On beaches, I have found a large gold/diamond/emeral ring at 10" just above waterline at low tide. I have also found a danford anchor at just over 2'.

Last edited:

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its all down to cost but an on tune Fisher CZ could manage 9 inches on our 1 Euro coin, an Excaliber a fraction less (both with approx. 8 inch coils), won't mention the Garrett Sea Hunter or Sand Shark, but the Deepstar 3 over 15 inches. Surfmaster P.I. with its (10.5"?coil) 10 inches.

I have a Beach Hunter ID but stick to the original small coil as the larger one didn't work to well on my beaches. The Infinium suits some but I can't stick the drag/beep or beep drag method of discrimination.

Question for people in this position is if they want some depth gain over twin or multifrequency detectors but at the price of digging more iron or cover much more ground at a little less depth which could bring in more finds by the end of the day.

cue

Jul 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infimium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But no one is commenting on the Garrett Infinium LS. I'm a newbie who would love to hear about the pros and cons of this vs. the White. Anyone????

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
infimium ls weighs a ton I heard and the noise it omits will leave you wondering whats down there go to you tube and listen

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions