PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Everyone,

Is there anyone around who remembers the old LUE treasure?

This has been a project of mine for decades.

I possibly decoded one of the sites. I would like to discuss this information with experienced relic hunters/treasure hunters to get a well rounded analysis.

Patrick

mical66

Jul 17, 2012
Greeneville , TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very interesting map, i looked at it a couple times and read some about it but enver made heads or tales out of it , this will be interesting post to keep track or,,

OP
OP
PatrickD

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Mical66,

I know what you mean. That map will make you dizzy if you stare at it too long.

Years back, I was out in the region and following up on a few trails. I found a few things.

Now, after more research, I think all of the clues are pointing to one of the multiple cache sites. This one is at a specific location based on my theoretic conclusions.

After researching that location, there are numerous legends about glowing lights, excessive lightning strikes, ghost stories, Native American legends, Anasazi, and so on. It is the perfect storm of treasure leads in the exact same location. Then, I viewed the area using the google maps satellite view. One can see where it looks like some form of mining had been done there.

Unfortunately, it is on limited access land. I cannot think of a more perfect location for this cache site.

My guess is this location was targeted for the church and not the crown based on a few other books in my collection.

I'm really trying to find someone with the similar interest and who has actually been on the ground looking for this elusive treasure.

Most cannot get past that map until they understand what the map legend elements would consist of.

I don't really want to publish my theory in the public forum since it is still somewhat proprietary. What I would like truly would be one of the people who can pick apart a theory to disprove it. I am that certain.

Patrick

Plug

Jul 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The main problem with the map is no one really knows the origin, and as a result the context is lost on us. I haven't seen any evidence pointing to a concrete origin of the map

OP
OP
PatrickD

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Plug,

The original map technique is Spanish in origin. The thing that throws many off is that the map is charted with celestial navigation instead of landmarks.

The long swirls indicate two rivers.

Patrick

Kenjmor2006

Jan 14, 2011
The lue was made by a german the way I understand it,Germany slipped a load of gold in hoping to ruin the economy .When That didn't happen a german enigineer made the map where the gold was hid,anyway thats the way I heard iT via my old friend Karl von mueller.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Kenjmore2006

KvM told you Germany slipped (shipped) a load of gold where, and how would that ruin any world economy?

Just need a little more practical facts for this to make sense.

OP
OP
PatrickD

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"The lue was made by a german the way I understand it,Germany slipped a load of gold in hoping to ruin the economy .When That didn't happen a german enigineer made the map where the gold was hid,anyway thats the way I heard iT via my old friend Karl von mueller. "

Hi Kenjmor2006,

Could you provide some further information? Other than the self-proclaimed website and references to it, I can find no Germany connection to the LUE map. However, there are many Spanish clues. One must first understand how to read a sextant to understand the key in the top right corner.

As for your old friend Karl... We probably know each other. My father, his best friend and KVM were friends for many years. I actually inherited a bunch of research materials, books and the like and still have them. Of course, you know KVMs real name and not the pseudonyms used for his publishing. You probably know his wife as well.

In all of the interactions with KVM and from his personal research materials, everything he published and wrote personally shows the LUE as a Spanish map. The map also matches a lot of mid-1500s Spanish technique for maps. Keep in mind, on those maps, North is on the right side of the page instead of the top like in modern maps.

So, about KVM, Did you ever get to shop in his Colorado store before the building burned and was torn down?

Patrick

pearl54

Apr 20, 2012
mo.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where at in Colorado was his store. I lived there for many years and family owned a bookstore.

OP
OP
PatrickD

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where at in Colorado was his store. I lived there for many years and family owned a bookstore.

Hi Pearl54,

KVM's store was in Segundo west of Trinidad on the highway of legends. KVM told us that his store was robbed and that it was set on fire to cover up the theft. Apparently, a few expensive items were taken and a lot of his personal books/treasure leads were taken.

After KVM's death, his wife moved closer to the kids and last I heard was in a nursing home.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Ken, thanks for that link. I know KvM thought highly of Hardrock Hammond as they were partners for years so if HH gave him the
LUE map/drawing I'm sure he gave it lots of attention. Segundo is west of Trinidad. CO on the Purgatoire River which heads up in
the Culebra Range of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains in SE Co. This is the stream which Karl, Charles Garrett and other friends
dredged for gold (back cover THM#7)

Quote from LUE map page "Redrawn exactly from the IAYATAM Key."

Karl evidently had inside info on this yarn because he said only two people had been able to decipher it.

The link you provided has some fantastic claims and the usual Knights Templar nonsense. One fella proclaimed
the Lue was in fact Cibola of Coronado fame. What most people ignore or don't realize is that every knob, canyon,
valley or mountain of the western US has been thorougly explored and inspected by early prospectors and ranchers
and other curious explorers. To suppose that a newly hatched argonaught could get a red hot clue from some just
found source and actually believe they could just park their KIA, grab a yeller detector and find a bonanza is more
than ludicrous.

Karl taught a generation how to THINK treasure and I have to wonder if his wickedly humorous nature compelled him
to include the LUE map to bewilder his students. I saw his store in Segundo before the ransacking and burning. They
say it broke his heart.

RIP Dean

OP
OP
PatrickD

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Karl taught a generation how to THINK treasure and I have to wonder if his wickedly humorous nature compelled him
to include the LUE map to bewilder his students. I saw his store in Segundo before the ransacking and burning. They
say it broke his heart.

RIP Dean

Hi Dean,

If you keep going about the lue map some additional clues may get answered. Like the acronym. L.U. and E. are actually spelled out on the original map. I was interviewed about the lue treasure and have an article in Mercator's World map magazine, July/August 1998 issue. The article is titled "A Spanish Treasure Map" and is on the inside back cover. That article has a great summary of the known information for back then.

Patrick

Last edited:

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Thanks Patrick. I am addicted to KvM lore. He hung around Charlie Garrett's factory in Garland a lot. Garland was home to
another Texas legend Bill Mahan who owned and operated D-Tex Electronics. Bill designed the best BFO ever invented, the
CoinshooterI & II. Garrett is more famous but his Master Hunter BFO is no match to the Coinshooter. Mine still works after over
30 years of use.

When Garrett came out with the Groundhog I got one but was having trouble with it so I stopped by Charles's store. He came out
and showed me how to scrub the ground in the gravel parking lot. He saw my army shovel in my pickup and said he'd like to
get one like it. Two friends and I took one to him and he gave us autographed "Successful Coin Hunting" paperbacks. I never
learned to like the 'hog' and traded it for a Master Hunter BFO.

But I never ran into Karl although I read all I could of his publications. Back then I just knew I would find a big treasure someday.
Turned out to be many of the small variety.

exanimo

OP
OP
PatrickD

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Dean,

My family actually has a small MD that was made for KvM. It has a little plaque on it "Exanimo". I'm pretty sure it is a Garrett although I haven't seen it in a couple of years. It works really well even after all this time.

I use a couple different ones. My favorite is an old Fisher Discriminator. It is heavy to carry though.

Another good source of TH material is Jesse Rascoe. I never met him but have a lot of his books.

Oh, I have found a few things too. I will insert an image of the Compass Stone I found. It is a carved Spanish head and the nose is pointing magnetic north. This is part of the LUE. Its old, mid 1500s. You can see how worn it is.

compassstone2.jpg

um, and that is my arm.

Cool huh.

Patrick

Last edited:
OP
OP
PatrickD

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is another picture in the same general vicinity.

Look across the little canyon and spot the entrance in the wall.

Mountain Cave2.jpg

um, and that is my arm again.

Still cool though.

Patrick

Last edited:

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Patrick, very cool. I have Rascoe's "Pegleg's Lost Gold" copyright 1973 by Ed Bartholomew. My library did have a large collection
of the Rascoe books. The covers are printed on goldenrod bond paper.

OP
OP
PatrickD

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Patrick, very cool. I have Rascoe's "Pegleg's Lost Gold" copyright 1973 by Ed Bartholomew. My library did have a large collection
of the Rascoe books. The covers are printed on goldenrod bond paper.

I have a copy of Jesse Rascoe's Texas Buried Treasure 1972 by Ed Bartholomew. The cover of mine is probably the same as you are describing. It is light blue in color. I have several book cases full on the subject.

It just seemed that after KVM, there were not as many original authors out there. What followed seemed like a string of copycat writers sharing the same information.

There are a lot of resources still available but the older stuff is getting hard to find and the people selling it online are pricing it unrealistically.

Edited: A thought just occurred to me. Call TH a hobby or profession, it seems to be a dying interest. Any thoughts?

Patrick

Last edited:

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Well for me it has become an almost expired hobby. I was once obsessed with getting a big treasure. Then it became
finding an authentic treasure lead. This lead to extensive reading about subjects that I had no exposure to in school and
a growing interest in history, geography and geology.

I do not think a guy can do full time cache hunting and survive unless he is so committed he will do without a car, a house,
a marriage or electronic toys. And be willing to depend on strangers for support. If someone has found a way he would have
to be perfectly in tune with his detector, able to separate jewelry from junk in the surf or separate gold nuggets from hot
rocks in the desert.

Can I make a living metal detecting? NO, but I can get an education about a huge variety of subjects I would never have
bothered to pursue otherwise.

OP
OP
PatrickD

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was well said.

Hey, if it helps, I put out a bunch of my LUE treasure information today on the 'today's finds' forum. It has a lot of photos and research references.

The problem I have is having found a location but cannot access the site.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread