Mentor

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Did you have a mentor in this hobby? Did you just jump in and make your way, not credit any one individual with lots of guidance and experience to show you the way of metal detecting tricks of the trade? Let me hear what you got :)

A/CMan

Apr 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No mentor , I just jumped in and learned on my own, acman

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasurenet was my mentor......Thanks everyone!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
No i did not need a mentor i just went and started to swing and dig .......... AND IT WORKED. .. It's really not that hard.... even little kids do it .... You swing your detector if you like the sound and number you dig..........

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
I jumped right in there. Hey this ain't rocket science. I never knew there was such a thing as a Internet detecting forum when I started.

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started the first month or two on my own. Met a friend with experience and learned more in one day from him than I had picked up myself in a couple of months. I believe an experienced hunter as a teacher is a huge asset. That was 20+ years ago.:icon_thumleft:

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not what you would call a mentor I guess, But in 1969 maybe 1970 I was 8 or9 yro,And lived in Savannah,Ga. There was a school across the road from my house.
I used to ride my gocart there untill one day I saw a man with a box on a stick, he was swinging it back and forth and every once in a while he would bend over and dig. get up and put something in his pocket apron.....Got to where I would wait on Saturday's for him to show up and just follow him around. I moved to S.C.
later that year. But I never forgot that Man or the things he was putting in his bag. Flash forward 25 years and I saw an add for Whites on the T.V. The rest is as they say History. I have never looked back........Wish I knew his name ......to tell him thanks for getting me hooked on this Obsession........HH all

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Gunrunner61 said:
Not what you would call a mentor I guess, But in 1969 maybe 1970 I was 8 or9 yro,And lived in Savannah,Ga. There was a school across the road from my house.
I used to ride my gocart there untill one day I saw a man with a box on a stick, he was swinging it back and forth and every once in a while he would bend over and dig. get up and put something in his pocket apron.....Got to where I would wait on Saturday's for him to show up and just follow him around. I moved to S.C.
later that year. But I never forgot that Man or the things he was putting in his bag. Flash forward 25 years and I saw an add for Whites on the T.V. The rest is as they say History. I have never looked back........Wish I knew his name ......to tell him thanks for getting me hooked on this Obsession........HH all

Gotta wonder what the guy was finding way back then. Would love to go back in time with my v.

Last edited:

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotta wonder what the guy was finding way back then. Would love to go back in time with my v.

I remember Silver coins, and rings.......other than that ,it was along time ago..............HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread