Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: Who Are the Women of Metal Detection/Treasure Hunting?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    May 2003
    E. Tennessee
    Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
    25 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev View Post
    I actually thought it was safer to go with someone else- until that someone started acting crazy around me. It became pretty dangerous for me and had to put down my detector for a long time. It just wouldnt have been safe if he found me alone somewhere. Fortunately, he's moved away and Ive started hunting again here and there but I still look over my shoulder once in a while. It was quite terrifying for a while. It almost destroyed the hobby for me.
    That's terrible ,i'm sorry, hope your o.k. now, don't let one a##hole ruin a lifelong hobby and keep some pepper spray handy
    AC1955 likes this.

us
    Jun 2012
    South Jersey
    Whites IDX Pro
    108 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AC1955 View Post
    Calendar...OMG...people will go blind looking at my pin-up! Anita
    LOL! That's why I said I'll leave that to the young 'uns!

7 acres! Lucky you guys!

My boyfriend does tag along on my adventures whenever possible, but since I am not working I want to go out on my own during the week.....ugh...."Don't wanna stick to boring old parks!" (said in my worst whiny, woman voice : )
    AC1955 likes this.
    I would rather be the man who bought the Brooklyn Bridge than the man who sold it ~ Will Rogers

us
    Jun 2012
    South Jersey
    Whites IDX Pro
    108 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CWnut View Post
    That's terrible ,i'm sorry, hope your o.k. now, don't let one a##hole ruin a lifelong hobby and keep some pepper spray handy
    Duh me, what a novel idea-pepper spray! I seriously never thought of that. I need to go get some! Thanks, CWnut!
    I would rather be the man who bought the Brooklyn Bridge than the man who sold it ~ Will Rogers

us
    Jun 2012
    Evensville, Tennessee
    Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
    1082 times
    Catobra.....the pepper spray is some pretty effective stuff. Make sure my daughter and wife carry it. The last thing a person who is sprayed is going to be worried about is assualting a woman. Works great on aggressive dogs as well but does no permanent harm. I get the LE grade which is a little more effective but not illegal to carry ( in TN anyway ) you just can't buy it unless you are in Law Enforcement. Can send you some if not available to you or the other ladies. The LE grade has a much easier means of dispensing as well. The daughter carries it everywhere but is quite the Glock afficionado as well. Helps us teach and has sure hurt some male egos at the range with her Glock 17. Just wish I could get her into the metal detecting. At 18 she has other interest.She is my best bud.

Yep .....I am proud of my girl so gonna show her off.
    bsloan and AC1955 like this.

us
    Jun 2012
    Evensville, Tennessee
    Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
    1082 times
    Woops....pic too large and would not upload....was gonna send pic of daughter

us
    Jun 2012
    South Jersey
    Whites IDX Pro
    108 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TNGUNS View Post
    Catobra.....the pepper spray is some pretty effective stuff. Make sure my daughter and wife carry it. The last thing a person who is sprayed is going to be worried about is assualting a woman. Works great on aggressive dogs as well but does no permanent harm. I get the LE grade which is a little more effective but not illegal to carry ( in TN anyway ) you just can't buy it unless you are in Law Enforcement. Can send you some if not available to you or the other ladies. The LE grade has a much easier means of dispensing as well. The daughter carries it everywhere but is quite the Glock afficionado as well. Helps us teach and has sure hurt some male egos at the range with her Glock 17. Just wish I could get her into the metal detecting. At 18 she has other interest.She is my best bud.
    Yep .....I am proud of my girl so gonna show her off.
    Thanks for the LE tip and you brought up a good point, legality....EVERYTHING is illegal here, so I will need to do a bit of research.....

"She is my best bud" very sweet and it seems you brought her up just fine (well except for the not metal detecting thing, you'll have to do something about that : ) It will take a strong guy to get over the Glock/ego thing, but what woman wants a weak man anyway? : )

us
    Jun 2012
    South Jersey
    Whites IDX Pro
    108 times
    For anyone who is interested, link to pepper spray laws in all 50 states as well as internet seller:

Pepper Spray Warnings and Laws & Stun Gun Laws
    Cristasphoto and Mzjavert like this.

Jun 2012
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Catobra View Post
    Hey all you women hunters out there, sorry to hijack your thread AC, but I have a question for you girls and figured this might be as good a place as any to put it and get it noticed.

Does anyone hunt the woods or isolated/semi-isolated areas? If yes, are you ever afraid? Do you ever go alone?

Any horror stories or classes you know of to take to learn how to use your detector as a weapon? : )
    I hunt alone. AN sometimes I get unerved. BUT Anxiety get me more than fear as when there are strangers around I an concerned about their judgements. But then I get to into worry about anything other than trying retrieve targets.

us
    Jun 2012
    Evensville, Tennessee
    1082 times
    Pepper spray is very effective and a great alternative to deadly force. The NJ laws that Catobra was kind enough to share with us WOULD make it illegal to carry in the dispenser I had in mind but not the small keychain size dispenser. Might want to try hunting in a Ninja outfit to discourage aggression. WOW....self defense is more or less illegal from a little research I just pulled about NJ law. Well at least it is a beautiful state from what I have heard.

us
    Jun 2012
    South Jersey
    Whites IDX Pro
    108 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TNGUNS View Post
    Pepper spray is very effective and a great alternative to deadly force. The NJ laws that Catobra was kind enough to share with us WOULD make it illegal to carry in the dispenser I had in mind but not the small keychain size dispenser. Might want to try hunting in a Ninja outfit to discourage aggression. WOW....self defense is more or less illegal from a little research I just pulled about NJ law. Well at least it is a beautiful state from what I have heard.
    Yup, I was surprised any of it was legal. Better than nothing though.

Parts of it, yeah-northwest and further south are probably much better than what people think, but scrub New York and Philly areas and most of the shore. TN is really pretty-was there once.

us
    Jun 2012
    South Jersey
    Whites IDX Pro
    108 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristasphoto View Post
    I hunt alone. AN sometimes I get unerved. BUT Anxiety get me more than fear as when there are strangers around I an concerned about their judgements. But then I get to into worry about anything other than trying retrieve targets.
    Other people on here have commented about being nervous around people watching, but have said the more you do it the more that feeling goes away. I'm not as avid about it as I like to be and am usually off the beaten path when I detect, so I'm not allowed to comment for myself : ) Hang in there and if you can, get some pepper spray (thanks again, CWnut!)

Charter Member
    us
    WP

May 2012
    3221 times
    Note to pepper spray users. Not easy when excited but keep the wind in your favor. If my locale did not allow it and i needed a spray,there are products that have long range spray, not that a threat to your well being deserves it but care full of toxic or permanent blindness type products. (For your safety as well.)
    H.h.
    Catobra and AC1955 like this.

us
    Jun 2012
    South Jersey
    Whites IDX Pro
    108 times
    Quote Originally Posted by releventchair View Post
    Note to pepper spray users. Not easy when excited but keep the wind in your favor. If my locale did not allow it and i needed a spray,there are products that have long range spray, not that a threat to your well being deserves it but care full of toxic or permanent blindness type products. (For your safety as well.)
    H.h.
    Very good tip, I was reading about foam-type stuff that would not be affected by wind-covers the attackers face in foam, not a good image-I almost felt sorry for the attacker when I thought of it.....

If you don't know anything about it, best to study up well before you need to use it!

Jul 2012
    Cambridge, MA
    177 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Catobra
    For anyone who is interested, link to pepper spray laws in all 50 states as well as internet seller:

Pepper Spray Warnings and Laws & Stun Gun Laws
    Thanks for that link. Helpful info there. Noted that the states and cities with high crime seem to be the most restrictive on self-defense.

Just a thought here ... How does a can of wasp spray sound? Make a nice belt holder and feel more comfortable in wasp infested areas. I always have a can or two in the garden room, and can attest to the effectiveness against wasps (yellow jackets too) at 10' or more. Would not a dose of wasp spray in the eyes of a two-legged attacker be a deterrent?

I won't suggest anyone carry a lighter to ignite the wasp spray to make a super flame thrower. Nope, I won't even mention that. It sure can scorch the side of a house though. <lol>

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet app

Feb 2007
    Bradenton, Fl
    ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac
    561 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I hunt the beaches alone and rarely feel scared. But you wouldn't catch me alone in the woods...I've been spooked a few times alone in parks but always hunt in wide open areas.
    Debby

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors