Who Are the Women of Metal Detection/Treasure Hunting?

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just curious how many of us are involved in the hobby. I just started in April 2012. Husband and I bought an M6 with the intention that I would use it and he would get another machine. Didn't happen. Turned out to be too heavy for me to use (I am disabled). He uses the detector and I get to hold the goodies! (Best part..:happysmiley:). We like beach hunting, have done cellar holes, parks, schools and highway rest areas. Best find to date: 14kt wedding band (returned to owner). Best keeper: early 1900's Tiffany (?) watch fob.

When did you begin? What machine do you use? Hunt alone or with someone else? Best or favorite find?

Thanks for posting your answers. As I said, I am curious how many of us there are....

HH,

Anita

TreasureWriter

Nov 13, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Anita,

We have 4-5 gals in the Pa. Ghost Town Group that I know of.
Silver Lady, Amis, and Motorhead are three of them.
Motorhead (my daughter Katie) gets out there in her motorized wheelchair to go treasure hunting.
Amis does check in to TreasureNet often. If you look at our group page you'll see her panning for gold!
The ladies are as adventurous as the guys!

Catobra

Jun 21, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Anita,

I was thinking of posting the same question (since there seems to be so much testosterone around here.....JOKING guys!)
Good for you getting out there an making the husband do all the hard work : ) I have had my detector about 11 years, but am awful lazy and have no patience for hard soil or not being able to go anywhere, so I only bring it out occasionally. I like the beach (best find was a gold earing) and private yards when not dry like it has been (best find was a button commemorating Waterloo from 1815-40 or so). I have also been relic hunting (in a state park before I knew it was illegal-uh oh!) thrifting, flea markets, and trash picking for over thirty years-it's all treasure! Used to bottle dig and loved that, but it is dirty work and I am getting old (and lazier : ) Depending on the activity, I have had various partners, but usually I am with my best friend of 25 years-she enjoys junk just as much as I do! Thanks for starting the thread-will be interesting to see the responses.

Treasure Writer-yes, women can be just as adventurous as the guys! (Oh stop boys, I am no women's libber, just stating a fact : ) Very cool that you a group to hunt with!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't hunt with a woman! It's enough I get slapped by half the women I stumble over on the beach! I don't need my partner to be hitting me with that MACHINE too! Most of those that hit me (I'm a WUUS.... I can't even SPELL it!) don't believe me when I tell them it was purely an accident! I'll just do the loner thing.... and keep all the change for myself, thank you! TTC

Catobra

Jun 21, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL, Terry, but WHY are you getting slapped?! On the beach..........I can guess why! Very funny-thanks for the laugh!

tngirl

Mar 16, 2012
N. Middle Tennessee
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x & 1280 Aquanaut, White's XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been hunting for about 6 months now, although I've had my detectors for several years. I just never really got into hunting until recently. I started out digging in the woods and around old houses, but as soon as it got warm enough I started hitting the swim areas and now I am obsessed with the water hunting! I think I may cry when it gets too cold for that, lol. Lots of civil war activity in my area, so maybe I will try my hand at that this fall. I did find a button from a civil war uniform once, maybe I'll get lucky again. I don't know of any other ladies hunting in my area, just the men. Any ladies on here from the northern middle Tennessee area?

gottagetthegold<3

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2012
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi!
I just started detecting about a month ago. I haven't found anything good yet but I finally learned how to use my ace 250 correctly! So I'm happy with that, haha. I'm still pretty new to this and I'm pretty young, all my friends refuse to go detecting with me except for two! They just dig for me though they don't have detectors. Hoping to find something good soon! But not expecting to, just because I don't want to be dissapointed.
Good luck!!!! :D

OP
OP
AC1955

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TerryC...the word is wuss. From your avitar I see you are a former Marine, right? Suck it up, Marine! There ain't no such thing as male or female in the Corps. Same with detectorists. Semper Fi.

Anita
Marine Mom

Please don't take this personally, TerryC, I'm just ragging on you! And please, put your eyes back in your head when you're at the beach. (Right answer here: "Yes, Ma'am".) LOL

Moonrover

Jul 17, 2012
Cambridge, MA
Primary Interest:
Other
My wife promised to do the digging if I got a good silver signal. We'll see how long that promise lasts! I'll report back with the results. I have a hunch I'll be doing a lot of metal detecting alone.

Yesterday afternoon I dug an old penny about 7" under our gravel driveway. Came running in the house to wash it off and brag about it. The reaction I got was "For crying out loud, it's only a penny".

Merlin

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
TerryC...the word is wuss. From your avitar I see you are a former Marine, right? Suck it up, Marine! There ain't no such thing as male or female in the Corps. Same with detectorists. Semper Fi.

Anita
Marine Mom

Please don't take this personally, TerryC, I'm just ragging on you! And please, put your eyes back in your head when you're at the beach. (Right answer here: "Yes, Ma'am".) LOL
Ok, I was just PLAYING! Yes former Marine. Two Vietnam tours. Tét offensive in Hué in '68. Dancing in the streets. Fireworks. Lots of fun, if you know what I mean?! Just a shell of my former self, MA'AM. Ha ha! Catobra, I had to check if they were REAL or store-bought, right? I was sitting one day on the beach chair... with the mirror suhglasses. One of the finer young ladies was staring at me to detirmine if I was staring at HER. She pulled the top down on one side. I gave her six fingers.... a "6". Really, acre for acre, the beaches have more stuff to find (with the detector!) than dry land. Paid for my Fisher Impulse 8 a few times over! Tnx. TTC

Dixiegal

Jul 8, 2012
GA
Detector(s) used
White 808, White Sierra Made, pulse induction, LRL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Hi Anita,

I have been hunting with the significant other for 6 years now. He has TH'd all over the West and SW for many years prior to moving to the South. We are history buffs and we do it for the excitement and the money. We are primarily cache hunters. We spend a lot of time out in the woods digging holes. We use a lot of equipment. LRL, pulse induction, Arc Geo, White 808 two box and White Sierra Madre.

Hope you are having as good a time as we are.

RiverRat

Jun 30, 2012
Clearlake, N. California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Garrett Pro Pointer,Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Anita,
I've been wondering the same thing...Also been wonderin'why it seems like the vast majority of TH's are men?...What?...women don't like to get their hands dirty?...I know it's not from shying away from hard work!
Seriously...I'd like to know.
Anyway, I'm also a TH'ing newbie...just started a couple of months ago...I'm in my late sixties, mostly retired, hunt alone so far, and just love the thrill of never knowing what I'll find! I also love history a lot, so I also love doing the research.
I'm starting with the Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, although I almost bought the Garrett 250...Also got the Garrett Pro Pointer which is worth it's weight in gold!
I live in a very rural area in N. California, among the redwoods, and alongside a good sized river..also,about 8 miles from our rather isolated and wild Pacific ocean beachs... and our history, at least for metal items, only BEGAN in 1870. So it's hard to find really old relics...still, it's really fun...
So far my best find has been a pink topaz silver ring at the local river beach, a couple of Native American relics, ONE wheatie (my oldest coin!), and a little metal frog!
Tried taking photos, but so far, not so good...but, still trying!

Thanx for starting this thread...I'm curious too!

Last edited:

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just want to welcome all you new lady treasure hunters to TNet! I've been at it for a long time, but joined up here in '06. There's quite a few women here and I could name a whole bunch. Looking forward to "slapping" Terry at Chisholm Trail Hunt 5 in Oct. Look out Terry! LOL!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just want to welcome all you new lady treasure hunters to TNet! I've been at it for a long time, but joined up here in '06. There's quite a few women here and I could name a whole bunch. Looking forward to "slapping" Terry at Chisholm Trail Hunt 5 in Oct. Look out Terry! LOL!
Allow me a REASON and you can slap me! Just for "GP", though, I think you should put some CLOTHES on that AVATAR, you hussy! (Just kidding!) Terry

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
Hi Anita;
I've been at this great hobby for 5 years now. Started with an ACE 250, then bought an ExcaL. Moved up to an Etrac and now I also have an infinium. I mostly beach hunt these days because that is where I live but I really like relic hunting. Best finds...an awesome diamond ring and part of a bronze age sword! I mostly hunt alone on the beaches but prefer to hunt with friends.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Anita;
I've been at this great hobby for 5 years now. Started with an ACE 250, then bought an ExcaL. Moved up to an Etrac and now I also have an infinium. I mostly beach hunt these days because that is where I live but I really like relic hunting. Best finds...an awesome diamond ring and part of a bronze age sword! I mostly hunt alone on the beaches but prefer to hunt with friends.
(allow me to hijack the thread for a moment) cntrydncr1, We have talked (posted) before. I was a resident of Bradenton in the '90s. Try also Anna Maria Is. And down south of Sarasota. Watch for the GRAY sand at construction sites.... LOADED with fossilized shark's teeth! Ok, tnx for the time, AC1955. TTC

OP
OP
AC1955

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No problem, TerryC, hijack anytime.

Also I wanted to say to you "Thank you for your service!". God Bless You.

Anita

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No problem, TerryC, hijack anytime.

Also I wanted to say to you "Thank you for your service!". God Bless You.

Anita
AC1955, It is getting harder to remember but you are #44 since Vietnam to personally thank me. The first was at THE WALL (in '93) by a young man not old enough to yet be alive when I served. It was sad back then. Tnx. Terry

Catobra

Jun 21, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all you women hunters out there, sorry to hijack your thread AC, but I have a question for you girls and figured this might be as good a place as any to put it and get it noticed.

Does anyone hunt the woods or isolated/semi-isolated areas? If yes, are you ever afraid? Do you ever go alone?

Any horror stories or classes you know of to take to learn how to use your detector as a weapon? : )

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread