Votes: 0 0.0%
  • bounty hunter

• toroso

• Total voters

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
Can't go wrong with White's or Tesoro. White's make a good solid machine and has a lot of history behind it. Tesoro is so confident in their machines, you get a lifetime warranty, while the others offer a 2 - 5 year warranty. I go with Tesoro just for that reason.

tabfinder

Jul 9, 2006
Midwest
Detector(s) used
Nocta Simplex
I'm with Grib.....I have a Tesoro vaquero...no screen; no programming....just ground balance and go. With practice....as with ANY detector; it will tell you whats in the ground. Great machine for the money. A good set of headphones and a pinpointer are two accessories that are also a big plus. Good luck.....welcome to the hobby!

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i cant really vote because i would put the Whites, Garrett and Tesoro all in the same league.all three manufacturers make quality detectors. as far as Bounty hunter.......... ::)

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recommend.................Tesoro!

All the top manufactures make quality machines (whites, tesoro, garrett, fisher, minelab). I'd stay away from the bargan basement models or the mass produced machines.

A good digger (the Mighty AP or Lesche) are the top of the line.

A good pinpointer is a must.

Finally...practice.

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am going after a Teknetics T2 in a month or two. Hmm Santa Claus??? I will post my thoughts on this machine after 8 hours of searching.

Burdie

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
I wouldn't just pick a manufaturer and then look for a detector. You have to determine (or ask yourself) what kind of hunting you are going to do then tailor the machine your type of hunting. The barands already mentioned are all good names and all make good detectors but the question is which one it best suited to your needs. How much are you interested in spending and where are you going to hunt? Land or water or both?

raptor5618

Sep 4, 2006
I think the best advice is to decide where and what you are going to hunt for and then chose which MD's fit that need as was said above. Then I would read as much as I could on the forums to get a better idea of what you might need. Also talk to vendors who while very interested in selling you a detector; they want to sell you one that will suit your needs the best.

Lastly decide how much you are willing to spend. I think it is fair to say more money buys you more features, not necessarily more finds. Also read reviews of the detectors you are interested in as well as forums of users of those detectors and you will get a feel for the detector you will eventually get.

I think the key really is that once you get it you learn how to use it which takes time and yes some effort too.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are just starting out I think the Tesoro Cibola is a good choice or the garret ace 250. I also own a fisher and it is a fine machine also. For the price the Cibola or the 250. ;)

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
The bird is right, the Cibola is a really super machine. A friend has it and the Tejon and he claims the Cibola is nearly as deep and a much better machine to use. He's not too fond of the Tejon.

As for me I have to go with OTHER. Non of those on your list.

I use the Nautilus IIB and plan to soon own the IIBa. After using the Nautilus I can't use any other brand.

Best to you.

Badger

S

sendin

Admittedly subjective and personal, but I really like my White's XLT. Got it used. My friend is a White's dealer and he really helped me get started plus he didn't get the sale (since I bought it used - private party) and didn't lean on me real hard to go with White's. I did a lot of research before I purchased and was able to use a few machines before I bought the XLT. I even used a Bounty Hunter!

The suggestions above are excellent and I think you came to the right place to get advice.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's like asking how far is up! There are dozens of different detectors , many special purpose, some general purpose, with or without VDI meters, with or without LCD screens, and virtually hundreds of different programable features. Of course you are a beginner or you wouldn't have to ask the question in the first place. What kind of hunting do you intend to do? Just Coin shooting at local parks and play grounds, hunting Civil War battle fields for relics, beach hunting, salt water or freshwater, hunting nuggets, or scuba diving or wading shallow water???? Some people advise to buy an inexpensive "beginners" detector and then move up. Not me, I say buy all the detector you can afford and grow into it. Even the ones with long learning curves have several turn on and go programs that is all you will need until you learn more about your detector. As you learn you can incorporate more of the sophisticated electronics into your hunts. If you want to start out cheap and move up instead there's no reason why an inexpensive Bounty Hunter or perhaps a Radio Shack 3300 may be just the thing for you. A little more sophisticated is the ACE 250 by Garrett that is a wonderful little machine but like all the inexpensive detectors, they have their limitations. No bran of detector is any better than the operator. So be prepared for a long intense learning period until you are familiar with what your machine is telling you and don't expect too much as a beginner so you won't be disappointed when you don't find gold right off. Good luck on your quest. Monty

keysync

Jan 24, 2006
Lake Placid, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one of those radio shack detectors.
Frankly I'm not that happy with it.
I am about as green as it comes when it comes to useing a detector.
For example. I had an old farm house and when I would walk across the yard that thing would go off about every 12 inches. I would adjust the knobs to try and make it less sensitive. Didn't seem to work. It would beep at me so I would stop and go over that exact area again. No beep. Then over it again. No Beep. Then over it again. BEEP BEEP BEEP... Then nothing. Very inconsistent.. So I messed with the knobs to try and make it so it would beep consistently over that spot. I got it to do it. so I took out my shovel and about 2 inches under the soil was an old disc off of a farm implement. I could have found that thing by holding a magnet in my hand it was huge.
My problem is that I don't trust the machine.
I have thrown a quarter on the ground and tried to adjust the thing. It wouldn't even pick up a quarter on top of the ground.
Finally hung it in the garage and am thinking of buying a good detector because I love finding things. But I don't want to if they have similar characteristics. I don't have the patience for that...

Thanks for letting me rant.

D

damz68

JW said:
By all means stay away from Minelabs, I hate digging good stuff down deep. ;D

I was wondering when the minelab users would speak up. I went out with the man who sold me my xterra, he was using a tesoro and I was going behind him digging clad he missed. I was not trying to rub it in, it was just that he started out with me and then moved to the other side of the street and when I got done I hit the same area that he started detecting. I found 13 coins in his area! I aint sure what tesoro he was using but he told me it listed at $450.00, mine cost $350.00!

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keysync, sounds like you don't believe in reading the manual. Just turn it on, twist the knobs and see what happens? ::) Been there and done that and it just don't work that way. After a couple of weeks frustration, I took an hour or two just to sit down with the machine and the manual and read it back to front or vice versa. Dang, I learned something! :o I read such amazing things such as you need to shim the batteries to make better contact so it won't beep every foot as you just walk across the yard! In all metal or pinpoint mode you can often trace the outline of the buried object and determine how big it is so you don't waste your time digging up soda cans or farm implements or great uncle Bob's 1965 Buick LeSabre. ::) Until one learns how to solve problems in the field or how to communicate with your detector, he/she should carry the manual around with you. It will save many hours of frustration. Of course I like many beginners thought it was easy. It ain't easy, not if you ever want to become proficient. Any detector cheap or expensive will find "stuff", but under the best circumstances it takes time and experience to become better than just lucky and start finding the good stuff. 8) Monty

keysync

Jan 24, 2006
Lake Placid, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahhh Monty...

I agree that is soo true..

Problem is.. There was no manual. Got it at a garage sale aka garbage sale..

8)

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Google BH on the net and they will be able to provide you with a manual. Probably free, or you can download it. Monty

detectoraddict

Aug 3, 2004
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, DFX, F-75
I have 9 detectors and find myself using the Golden and the T2 the most. When I am detecting wide open area such as an old park I go with the Explorer SE. The Golden is one of the best detectors you can use for heavy trashy areas!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread