Catobra

Jun 21, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,

I myself have been out of work for about 10 months. I don't say "looking" because I will admit to giving up looking for certain time periods. It is tough out there. It seems the jobs are all or nothing (very high-end almost C level type jobs or $10/hr almost entry-level type jobs). Also, I've found that companies are simply not willing to pay what the used to for the same type of work. I am manager level with loads of good, solid experience, but no degree which equals almost no jobs that I can apply for. I currently get no government money in any way and am living off savings, volunteering and surfing TN-haha.

I am interested to hear the stories of other people who are out of work.

Did you get laid off/business close down? I was laid-off a few years ago, out of work for a year and then worked for about 2 years for an insane woman who abused me mentally, so I resigned.

Do you thrift/yard sale and then ebay to make extra cash? I have thought about it and even have a pile of stuff to go. If yes, is this a viable method of making "good" money?

Have you stopped looking for work? At times, yes-waiting on God to send me where he wants me to go.

Are you working but at a lower end job or even two jobs so that you can just keep your head a bit below water? I've thought about it, but I think I have pride issues : )

How do you spend your day? see above, plus taking care of my pets

How do you look for work-Indeed.com, LinkedIn.com, CareerBuilder.com, old-fashioned networking? Yes

How many jobs have you applied for and still not found work? Last time I was out of work, it was about 110. This time it is less than half that.

Anything else you'd like to add-go for it.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're so right about about a down job market, and I see any changes in the near future.. That's even with a new president. Right now it's an employers market and they will run with it as long as they can. You don't like $10.00/hr, good, some other sap will be glad to take it. In addition, try and get a full time job :laughing7: Employers will keep you on a temporary basis so they don't have to shell out for medical. The other scam employers are running are all these commissioned sales positions. Yup, you'll get a commission and be paid on a 1099, here the employer will save on taxes.

I was out for 3 years, had my fill of 1/2 these companies today that will take advantage of the circumstances. Now I'm at a whopping $10.50/hr, but have good overtime. The down side is that I can be working an average of 12 hours/day for 4 days with 3 days off. OK, not the greatest job driving a sweeper, but it's honest work, another thing I hate.. Honest work :tongue3:

Right now I'm brushing up on my grifting skills to supplement my income :laughing9:

MADJOKER

Jun 25, 2011
Missouri City, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 350
This maybe a good time to think about starting your own business. I did this with a printer ink and toner cartridge business from my garage part time while I was working and it did pretty good. I was selling 50k plus worth a year putting 20-25k in my pocket trying to get up to replacing my salary so I could quit working for someone else.

To bad work really picked up and I travel allot about 3 or more days a week I am in a different city so I had to stop the ink and toner stuff because I never had time to make the cartridges.

If I was brave enough to quick and do it full time I would have had something really good going there, but with a wife, two kids and a mortgage I could not take the chance.

If it is something you would be interested in or think it could help you I have all the equipment still and looking to sell it for way less than i paid as it has been sitting idle in my garage also have everything you need to start making products.

Best of luck! I hope some doors open up for you soon!

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out Williston North Dakota, nearly every bussiness there has help wanted signs.

GTR

Greenie
Jul 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I'm sort of unemplyed ... retired actually.

I know what you're going through. I had the same problem back in the 70s. Companies wanted hire people with a degree AND experience AND pay them dirt cheap wages. I had a degree but no experience. I had at least 50 interviews but no one would hire me. I took a minimum wage job until I found the job I retired from ... federal government gig. Try a federal, state, or local job. Here is website for federal job openings, USA.gov: The U.S. Government's Official Web Portal.

Best of luck!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Early retirement for me.... actually started by back surgery gone bad. That is to say, two back sugery in '04 and '07 that did not stop the back pain so Mar of '07 was the last time I worked. I was part of the Federal Security at Kennedy Space Center. Carried a sidearm AND HK mp5. THAT was fun! Right down in the trenches just after 9-11. We were tested continually. NO ONE wants to visit the National preserve areas at 3 in the morning but bad guys! Meeting astronauts, movie stars, the VP, and others. The most liked job of my life! When the astronauts come out of the C7 door and get into that van, one of our posts was right out of camera view. Great! Ok, I'll shut up... this is not a post to be talking about how I liked my job. Just to finish, I am on pain pills for the rest of my life so I had to give up the guns and job. Sad. TTC

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a full time treasure hunter. I feel your pain and you better believe that the wage factor is never going to be the same again. Why should it rise? Don't you realize the manufacturing base is now overseas, that it takes but a click of a mouse to accomplish most paperwork jobs and other countries actually provide the education needed for these new lower paying jobs while we've seen fit to denigerate our teachers.

I'm kinda amazed that people are doing or have done "government" jobs instead of holding fast to their principles and starving.

Or you can start your own business just save the money to get a start without borrowing any from the government. That way you can say, "I did it all on my own, didn't even use your roads".

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
I feel sorry for the young people starting out. I hope Barry builds some more roads and bridges so more businesses can be started.

Last edited:

seekandfind

Jul 7, 2012
northwest Indiana
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter 101/505
ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Two years unemployed here and no end in sight. Soon loss of benefits and myself and family will become more of the undocumented, the ones with no job,no unemployment and no future. Uncle Sam does not want to acknowledge us it would look bad for us (U.S.) as a country and our economy.LOL 25 years experiance and cant get shite. Unless of course you want to become the new american(yes I will do whatever for 10$ an hour) the businesses should all be VERY ASHAMED of themselves, they are almost pushing the American worker back to the sweatshop days and I hope most of us tell them to go to hell!!!!!!!! What do you think of the NEW AMERICAN REVOLUTION that is going to come?? The American people will only put up with so much. On the flip side we have nice parks, the grass is cut and the windows are clean, have to go now I have to start staking out my piece of squattters land in the park (next home) lol. Good luck to everybody out there and may GOD BLESS US AND HAVE MERCY ON OUR SOULS!

Lore

Greenie
Jun 26, 2011
Ive been laid off from the steel mill for about a month and a half now. it sucks!

o-dat-bob

Tenderfoot
Jul 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel sorry for the young people starting out. I hope Barry builds some more roads and bridges so more businesses can be started.

As I travel the 5, going from L.A. to Southern Oregon and back down, I see many road projects going on, listed as the "American Recovery Act". Not sure how many jobs are created or who gets rich off of them. at least they're fixing our freeways... a few feet at a time. Apparently it's a 10 year project.

I've been out since April, trying to decide if I should stay here and continue looking for work in the field I'm normally employed, or pack it in at age 53 and relocate up north. I too feel bad for the future generations just starting to look around for work, good luck to all, sorry it's not gonna be the fairy tales read to you in your youth.
Question, when they post unemployment numbers do they take into consideration the kids just hitting 18 that have never been on the books?

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
o-dat-bob said:
As I travel the 5, going from L.A. to Southern Oregon and back down, I see many road projects going on, listed as the "American Recovery Act". Not sure how many jobs are created or who gets rich off of them. at least they're fixing our freeways... a few feet at a time. Apparently it's a 10 year project.

I've been out since April, trying to decide if I should stay here and continue looking for work in the field I'm normally employed, or pack it in at age 53 and relocate up north. I too feel bad for the future generations just starting to look around for work, good luck to all, sorry it's not gonna be the fairy tales read to you in your youth.
Question, when they post unemployment numbers do they take into consideration the kids just hitting 18 that have never been on the books?

The quote from me was something are current president said on the campaign trail. It was a sad thing for him to say.

Stone

Feb 26, 2012
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I work at Ashely Furniture unloading trucks full of 200+ lb dressers by myself and only make $300.00 a week. Then they expect me to pull 65 pieces an hour. Lol, but I got to do what ever it takes to keep a roof over my families head, food on the table and lights on.

RiverRat

Jun 30, 2012
Clearlake, N. California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Garrett Pro Pointer,Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm unemployed also...have been for two years...can't imagine being able to have the time to TH without being retired or unemployed...sad...

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
I was fired in 2007 for not knowing what I was doing anymore. After doing 46 years worth of fixing wrecked cars and trucks, helicopters, boats , exotic cars, etc etc. The new young manager wanted to hire one of his friends. So to make a long story short, I filed for disability and fought for 3 1/2 years, I was working in pain every day for 20 of those years (knees) also have C.O.P.D., back injury, osteo-arthritis, P.A.D. you name it. Have been officially disable /retired for 5 years now. Got the knees replaced this year and have been practicing detecting once again. My job is called auto body and frame repairman/collision repair mechanic.........nge

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I can easily answer this, as I am an expert in this area.. As far as my records indicate, there were 3 jobs created under the "American Recovery Act".

1- The guy making the signs
2- The guy driving them to their destination.
3- And finally, the sign hanger himself :laughing7:

I hope I answered to your satisfaction :laughing9:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
forced into medical retirement (by health issues ) in 2006 even after being fully medically unfitted by my union in 2007 after 27 years of going to sea --it took the govt 3 1/2 more years to finally declare me "unfit" to work and give me my SS disability --would that mean I'm unemployed ?

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
forced into medical retirement (by health issues ) in 2006 even after being fully medically unfitted by my union in 2007 after 27 years of going to sea --it took the govt 3 1/2 more years to finally declare me "unfit" to work and give me my SS disability --would that mean I'm unemployed ?
Ivan... The VA gave me 100% wiyhin 6 months but SS is STILL denying me (since '07)! The next court case is Sept 17th in AZ. Binder and Binder is pretty optomistic so maybe this will be the BIG payday! TTC

BeachComber7

May 12, 2012
Treasure Coast-Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer and Tesoro deLeon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me too RiverRat, it's been 6 months now and nothing in site. I apply till the cows come home and not even one acknowledgement never mind an interview. So I go out and hunt, keeps me partially sane.

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Weird as this sounds, check Craigslist for job openings. Daughter got 2 part time jobs through there. (She's 29, so not technically a kid). Up here in New Hampshire I see lots of help wanted signs - retail, supermarkets, etc. Better than nothing and it's honest work.

My heart goes out to you folks who are unemployed. I have been 100% disabled since 1988 (at age 34) and on SS. (Fortunately/unfortunately I was one of the lucky ones - got my SS without fighting for it. Good luck to those folks who are fighting for what's rightfully yours).

From what I understand, the govt does not count the 18 year olds who have never truly worked. The only ones they count are those who applied for unemployment benefits (whether they got them or not - they count the applications). The govt also does not count those who have fallen off the unemployment rolls as being "unemployed", so the numbers that are being reported are skewed. So the only officially "unemployed" are those folks who have filed for and those who are in fact collecting benefits. Not counted are the folks who never bother to apply and those who can no longer collect. In actuality, the unemployment numbers are much worse than always stated by this administration.

Good luck to you all and God bless.

Anita

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread