Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    us
    Jul 2012
    Indianapolis
    Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
    385 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by kinigit View Post
    Looks cool as can be. Much prettier than the quarries in Florida. Let us know how it goes if you end up doing it. And good luck, have a great beeping time.
    That's 100% of some of the finest limestone in the whole USA! Like I said that exact hole is where the Empire State buildings limestone came out of ... Now I must say that particular quarry is not even an average quarry for Indiana it's about the best one in the state that I've ever seen so they all aren't that way here either. A lot of Washington DC's monuments & buildings limestone came from the other quarries on the same property. Much of it was used in Indianapolis as well,

did you know Indianapolis is 2nd only to Washington DC on the amount of monuments in the city? I think our limestone played a role in why that became to be, not to mention Indianapolis was laid out by the same guy who laid out DC so that probably played a big roll on the amount of monuments we have too.
    Last edited by inspectorgadget; Jul 30, 2012 at 03:27 AM.

us
    Ray

Jul 2012
    New Orleans burb
    At-Pro, Fisher F2
    94 times
    You all could have cut a much bigger quarry for the "Manning" statue. Or perhaps you should've just offered him Bloomington. LOL

us
    Jul 2009
    Whiting, NJ
    Ace 250
    991 times
    Quote Originally Posted by inspectorgadget View Post
    There is an old quarry that is almost famous (was used in a movie in 1979).

In the later 60's it turned into a hippie, nudist hangout spot with lots of drugs & orgies going on there.
    I'm still trying to figure out where the nudists hid their coins

us
    Jul 2012
    Wayne County, Missouri
    Garrett Ace 250 Garrett Pro Pinpointer BH Quicksilver BH Pinpointer
    2 times
    Metal Detecting
    Something about quarries creep me out. I would never dive to the bottom of that thing unless I knew for sure there was something very valuable. I guess I have heard too many horror stories about quarries being drained and finding bodies and cars etc. in them.

us
    Jul 2012
    Indianapolis
    385 times
    Quote Originally Posted by New Orleans Relic View Post
    You all could have cut a much bigger quarry for the "Manning" statue. Or perhaps you should've just offered him Bloomington. LOL
    Their saving that stone for another 15 years for the statue of Andrew Luck! I heard at some point there is going to be a statue of Peyton, Eli & Archie in your neck of the woods..lol

Quote Originally Posted by spartacus53 View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out where the nudists hid their coins
    I don't suspect the later 60's & early 70's people (nudists) lost much stuff in the quarry, which is good IMO, we are not looking for clad anyway. I bet there are a lot of class rings & jewelry on the bottom tho. Over 75 years of use tells me there has to be a lot of valuables on the bottom!

Quote Originally Posted by WayneCountyDetector View Post
    Something about quarries creep me out. I would never dive to the bottom of that thing unless I knew for sure there was something very valuable. I guess I have heard too many horror stories about quarries being drained and finding bodies and cars etc. in them.
    Ya many of the quarries around here even have old school buses on the bottom, usually for scuba divers to practice diving in & around. There is still the missing girl from Bloomington from last year too, I sure wouldn't want to find her down there! I wouldn't be interested in diving any of the murky with very little visibility quarries here but this particular one is so clear, it's not all that different from pool water. How could 75 years of use not = lot's of lost valuables in it? If 1 necklace, 1 ring & 1 bracelet or pendant per year got lost in it than there are at least 75 of each of those items down on the bottom so that's about 225 pieces of jewelry, & I'd bet those numbers are quite conservative! Say on average each piece is a conservative 4 grams, that's 900 grams or basically 2 pounds worth precious metals & stones. I bet those numbers are much closer to half of whats actually been lost in it & now just sitting on the bottom. Any coins in it would also be great & a bonus!
    Last edited by inspectorgadget; Jul 30, 2012 at 05:07 PM.

us
    Jul 2012
    Wayne County, Missouri
    Garrett Ace 250 Garrett Pro Pinpointer BH Quicksilver BH Pinpointer
    2 times
    Metal Detecting
    Yeah, if water was that clear it definately wouldn't be as creepy. Keep us updated I would like to know what you find if you go!

Charter Member
    us
    IT COULD BE A VALUABLE PRIZE "YOU NEVER KNOW"

Nov 2006
    N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
    ** I use only top name brand detectors *****
    1168 times
    ANY TYPE OF TREASURE HUNTING THAT PUTS MONEY IN MY POCKET
    Well good luck and keep us posted.... You a a lot braver man than i ...... I would never dive in a quarry........As a matter of fact for the last 20 years or so all the further i go in water is waist deep............. Now and then up to my chest.............
    Last edited by Keppy; Jul 31, 2012 at 03:44 PM.
    "...Let no one know what,were or when..."

us
    Jul 2012
    Indianapolis
    385 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Keppy View Post
    Well good luck and keep us posted.... You a a lot braver man than i ...... I would never dive in a quarry........As a matter of fact for the last 20 years or so all the further i go in water is waist deep............. Now and then up to my chest.............
    That's how I am with the ocean, ever since I saw a SEA MONSTER in the water at Myrtle Beach! Was about 4 or 4:30PM at high tide on an early September day in 1996. The waves were breaking great & I was about stomach deep walking south & parallel to the shoreline. I turned around & about 3 FT behind me & out in about 1 FT deeper water there was what appeared to be a 15FT to maybe 20FT long telephone pole in the water.

It was brown like the color of pier poles or a phone pole & looked slimy, I stopped & thought couldn't that hurt ya if it hit you, I stood still just looking at it for a second or two & noticed it didn't seem to move with the waves in the water, it was also parallel to the shoreline in about 5 FT of water. So I started to move towards it as it didn't seem to be moving much, waves were breaking over the top of it instead of it bobbing up & down with the waves which I thought was strange. I took a couple steps towards it & I started to reach out to touch it as I was stumped on what it exactly was & what it was doing right there. Before my hand got to it a wave broke over it again & it was GONE! For a split second I was thinking that's strange & then a split second later I had an overwhelming freight come over me as I thought what in the world was that, or better yet where did it go? Oh crap, then I was running out of the water as fast as I could. I still to this day have NO idea what I saw in the water that day, I did not see a fin, flipper or any fish type features. It was long & straight, the part sticking out of the water was almost the exact size of a normal neighborhood telephone pole.

I will swear & attest to this story on my life! Everyone except the girl I was with thinks I'm full of it! Heck she didn't even see it but she saw me as I ran out of the water afterwards, like I saw a damn ghost or something!

Charter Member
    us
    IT COULD BE A VALUABLE PRIZE "YOU NEVER KNOW"

Nov 2006
    N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
    ** I use only top name brand detectors *****
    1168 times
    ANY TYPE OF TREASURE HUNTING THAT PUTS MONEY IN MY POCKET
    Quote Originally Posted by inspectorgadget View Post
    That's how I am with the ocean, ever since I saw a SEA MONSTER in the water at Myrtle Beach! Was about 4 or 4:30PM at high tide on an early September day in 1996. The waves were breaking great & I was about stomach deep walking south & parallel to the shoreline. I turned around & about 3 FT behind me & out in about 1 FT deeper water there was what appeared to be a 15FT to maybe 20FT long telephone pole in the water.

It was brown like the color of pier poles or a phone pole & looked slimy, I stopped & thought couldn't that hurt ya if it hit you, I stood still just looking at it for a second or two & noticed it didn't seem to move with the waves in the water, it was also parallel to the shoreline in about 5 FT of water. So I started to move towards it as it didn't seem to be moving much, waves were breaking over the top of it instead of it bobbing up & down with the waves which I thought was strange. I took a couple steps towards it & I started to reach out to touch it as I was stumped on what it exactly was & what it was doing right there. Before my hand got to it a wave broke over it again & it was GONE! For a split second I was thinking that's strange & then a split second later I had an overwhelming freight come over me as I thought what in the world was that, or better yet where did it go? Oh crap, then I was running out of the water as fast as I could. I still to this day have NO idea what I saw in the water that day, I did not see a fin, flipper or any fish type features. It was long & straight, the part sticking out of the water was almost the exact size of a normal neighborhood telephone pole.

I will swear & attest to this story on my life! Everyone except the girl I was with thinks I'm full of it! Heck she didn't even see it but she saw me as I ran out of the water afterwards, like I saw a damn ghost or something!
    ..... I know what you mean.... I have not been to a salt water beach in years and i have no plans to go to one ......... I hunt fresh water up north here and then most of the time only waist deep .... and some times not that deep......... But were i hunt i really don't have to worry about any surprises......But a quarry you would never get me in one of them.......... But then up here in lake Erie there has been some strange things that happen ..... but that is way off shore in small boats so i stay real close to the shore line............. I had a friend that went fishing out in lake Erie in his small 14 ft boat...........Not that far out...... By him self that was about 20 years ago ...........They found his boat but to this day never have found him........... And there has been so many strange things out there it makes a person wonder what is out there.......
    Last edited by Keppy; Jul 31, 2012 at 07:35 PM.
    "...Let no one know what,were or when..."

us
    Jul 2012
    Indianapolis
    385 times
    Alright an update for all those following this thread.. Went to the quarry to get a better feel for the depth of the water as a friend told me I was probably way off in my 25 to 30 foot depth estimate. I figured maybe 40' at it's deepest but after a swim & a few free dives I'm now guessing the very bottom in the deepest areas (a lot of it) are maybe 75' or 80' deep. The cars look about 35 or 40' from ya when your in the water but when you swim down (or try to), I get about 30' to 35' deep & the cars look just as far as they did from the top of the water.

The one side that has the cut blocks going into the water at an angle is shallower cause of them & there are tunnels within them you can swim thru but would be impossible to detect in not to mention pretty dangerous. The deep areas are where it's at, I will go back & take a 100ft rope with weight on it & see if I can get an accurate water depth. I know if it's over or even near 90' it would be a very very difficult task compared to say 35' or 40'. The cars on the bottom look to be 40's 50's 60's hard to tell but they are old & most (not all) look to be intact complete cars. Id bet you could even find coins in/under the rear seats of em!

I'll keep this updated when I get a real depth reading!

us
    Oct 2009
    1908 times
    Stone quarries can be DEEP. The one we used to dive in Missouri was 230 feet deep!

Thanks for the update.

us
    Melissa

Aug 2005
    Oak Ridge, TN
    Whites XLT and Minelab Excalabur 11
    78 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    This is a fascinating thread. I dont get creeped out easily but I have to admit after reading about the creature in the ocean and the depths of the quarries I feel a bit twitchy. Lol

th
    Nov 2010
    Thailand/Europe/California
    Excalibur 2 1000
    129 times
    Quarries are Dangerous, and many people drown in them. If your not a certified scuba diver, (with experience) then its no place to be, especially trying to enter old cars and other things. Those few coins that may be under a seat are not worth it.

us
    Ray

Jul 2012
    New Orleans burb
    At-Pro, Fisher F2
    94 times
    Gadget, that changes things. Anything over 65-70ft. divers use dive tables for bottom time and ascention guidelines. I've had about 20dives, most of which were before being certified in 2006. All under 100ft. I'd be in on a dive with others more experienced.
    You went dowm 30-35ft? Thats somewhat dangerous.

us
    Jul 2012
    Indianapolis
    385 times
    Quote Originally Posted by New Orleans Relic View Post
    Gadget, that changes things. Anything over 65-70ft. divers use dive tables for bottom time and ascention guidelines. I've had about 20dives, most of which were before being certified in 2006. All under 100ft. I'd be in on a dive with others more experienced.
    You went dowm 30-35ft? Thats somewhat dangerous.
    Yes I know it changes things quite a bit that's why I posted the update!

And yes I'm guessing we went down about 30 or 35' on our free dive. Back when I took 3 meter diving in like 6th or 7th grade we used the IUPUI Natatorium in downtown Indy. It was every bit of 25' deep & our coach would throw things in there & have us race to see who could get it off the bottom first. I won almost every time! I figured 25' must be safe so 30' or 35' shouldn't be much different & it didn't feel much different, hell free divers go down over 100FT don't they? What was really fun was swimming down towards the bottom while the coach turned on the bubble machine & getting pushed to the surface like an underwater carnival ride! If you are not aware in diving classes divers practice by diving into a 1 to 2 ft up lifted pool from an up rush of bubbles instead of just flat hard water. The bubbles are very forgiving if you mess up (back or belly busters). Turns the whole diving area into what looks to be a giant hot tub on steroids! Diving into the bubbles is fun & you can't go very deep no matter how hard you try!

So I shouldn't be free diving 30' or so or what?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors