anyone ever scuba dive & detect an old quarry bottom say 25-30ft deep?

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well if it's been worked already then I'm not gonna mess with it! BTW how deep is the quarry? These divers you know have to know!

I've never asked them how deep it is. I don't keep in that much contact with them. I just know them through others that I detect with and talk to them randomly when we all meet up to detect.

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's how I am with the ocean, ever since I saw a SEA MONSTER in the water at Myrtle Beach! Was about 4 or 4:30PM at high tide on an early September day in 1996. The waves were breaking great & I was about stomach deep walking south & parallel to the shoreline. I turned around & about 3 FT behind me & out in about 1 FT deeper water there was what appeared to be a 15FT to maybe 20FT long telephone pole in the water.

It was brown like the color of pier poles or a phone pole & looked slimy, I stopped & thought couldn't that hurt ya if it hit you, I stood still just looking at it for a second or two & noticed it didn't seem to move with the waves in the water, it was also parallel to the shoreline in about 5 FT of water. So I started to move towards it as it didn't seem to be moving much, waves were breaking over the top of it instead of it bobbing up & down with the waves which I thought was strange. I took a couple steps towards it & I started to reach out to touch it as I was stumped on what it exactly was & what it was doing right there. Before my hand got to it a wave broke over it again & it was GONE! For a split second I was thinking that's strange & then a split second later I had an overwhelming freight come over me as I thought what in the world was that, or better yet where did it go? Oh crap, then I was running out of the water as fast as I could. I still to this day have NO idea what I saw in the water that day, I did not see a fin, flipper or any fish type features. It was long & straight, the part sticking out of the water was almost the exact size of a normal neighborhood telephone pole.

I will swear & attest to this story on my life! Everyone except the girl I was with thinks I'm full of it! Heck she didn't even see it but she saw me as I ran out of the water afterwards, like I saw a damn ghost or something!

My dad works at a shipyard on the Ohio River. One time they had a diver inspecting a towboat. He noticed a large log jammed next to the prop. When he swam up to it and touched it, the "large log"swam away. My dad said that the guy came out of the water, dropped his gear on the ground, and just left. There are some monster fish in the Ohio, hard telling what he saw.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Commercial divers have the best stories! My favortite one I've heard was a diver doing some repair work on a bridge here in OK. He was on the lee side of a support when he felt the current change and then something HUGE sort of pushed him up against the pillar and pinned him there for a minute before swimming away.

TENNESSEEGAL

Aug 20, 2005
Oak Ridge, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT and Minelab Excalabur 11
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jason in Enid said:
Commercial divers have the best stories! My favortite one I've heard was a diver doing some repair work on a bridge here in OK. He was on the lee side of a support when he felt the current change and then something HUGE sort of pushed him up against the pillar and pinned him there for a minute before swimming away.

I LOVE this kind of stuff! LOL

arapahoscout

Sep 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Slightly off topic, but my grandfather was an underwater welder. He was doing a repair job on a large Dam along the Mississippi river and saw catfish at the bottom of the spillway that a man could walk into their mouths. They are so large that they don't even move, they just lay there and let the current feed them.

WIDirtFishing

Apr 29, 2010
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800

Past:
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Tesoro Silver uMax
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Slightly off topic, but my grandfather was an underwater welder. He was doing a repair job on a large Dam along the Mississippi river and saw catfish at the bottom of the spillway that a man could walk into their mouths. They are so large that they don't even move, they just lay there and let the current feed them.

I know fish stories are a dime a dozen, but I use to live in La Crosse, WI. Its along the Mississippi and the DNR & Fish and Wildlife were doing damn survey's and one of the divers said it was hard to tell exactly how big the catfish was (because the water is so murky), but judging by the eyes and fins it had to be about the size of a Volkswagen! DATS A BIG FISH!
I've been following this thread since you posted; good luck to ya!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread