what is a realistic depth to expect?

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
dustytrails123 said:
Dont let the haters get you down ....the ace is a good unit for the price i have pulled plenty of silver out of the ground with mine ..enough to pay for the unit in the first 3 weeks ...
All of them were 2-6 inches and i have had some clad alittle over 9 inches but they werent the best signals id prolly have passed if not being in my own yard ...just spend some time with it once you change out batteries 3 or 4 times you will have enough time on it to understand it abit more ...the toughest thing i find about the ace 350 is mastering the nickels and it took me about 120 + hours to do that

It took you only 120 hours to learn the nickel response. Wow your good.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
cjon455 said:
only thing that was decent in my budget, i wanted the atpro but too much going on at the moment with vacation, school clothes for the kids, yada yada lol

I hear that. Lots of finds have been reported with that machine.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It took you only 120 hours to learn the nickel response. Wow your good.
Unless you hunt with the ace series you dont know jack sh@#t on the subject ...thanx for coming

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
dustytrails123 said:
Unless you hunt with the ace series you dont know jack sh@#t on the subject ...thanx for coming

Oh my dusty trails is a hater

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
dustytrails123 said:
Dont let the haters get you down ....the ace is a good unit for the price i have pulled plenty of silver out of the ground with mine ..enough to pay for the unit in the first 3 weeks ...
All of them were 2-6 inches and i have had some clad alittle over 9 inches but they werent the best signals id prolly have passed if not being in my own yard ...just spend some time with it once you change out batteries 3 or 4 times you will have enough time on it to understand it abit more ...the toughest thing i find about the ace 350 is mastering the nickels and it took me about 120 + hours to do that

Hey you did not tell us how many hours it took you to turn the machine on.

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This!

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Deepest coin I ever dug as a barber dime at 10". That's in my 25+ years of detecting. Don't recall in all this time digging anything else over 8"...coin wise. When you think of the pattern your coil makes going into the ground, a concentric coil is like a dixie cup...that coin has to be just so at depths deeper than 8 to hit it in the first place, let along get a signal from it when you do pass directly over it with the center of your coil. You may be covering 8 inches of ground on the surface with your coil but 8 inches down you're only covering like 1 or 2 inches.
So figure if you swing your coil and overlap each pass by only 3 inches on the surface, you're missing 7 or 8 inches undergound at 8 or 9 inches deep.
Back in the day, we dug lots of silver because there was lots of silver...now....it's still there and people find it, but not like before.

My thoughts anyhow...

Al

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
U K Brian... I don't do test beds. I use laminated plastic on my testing coins/trash, meaning They are enclosed in the plastic.... 11 1/2 inches long. Makes retrieving them much easier. I posted the best "halo" effect write-up I could find. Let's not go further with that as I do not enjoy "bashing" anyone on here or anywhere. Agreed? Anyway, when I could have done a test bed that could leach enough (40 years ago) I did not want to... now, at 63, too late for me to do so! TTC

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started doing test beds 43 years ago just so people could see the difference between new detectors of the same model (hot can be two or three inches deeper in ground than average....then there's the distinctly cold one you may have bought without knowing it). Also its essential to test every new detector and note its maximum depths so that the test can be repeated every few months so that componant failure (or with some brands the coil going out of tune) can be spotted as it starts to happen not a year on after its cost loads of missed finds.

As for bashing I don't worry about it because those who do it always have a job or pension behind them providing income that their metal detecting can't.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I started doing test beds 43 years ago just so people could see the difference between new detectors of the same model (hot can be two or three inches deeper in ground than average....then there's the distinctly cold one you may have bought without knowing it). Also its essential to test every new detector and note its maximum depths so that the test can be repeated every few months so that componant failure (or with some brands the coil going out of tune) can be spotted as it starts to happen not a year on after its cost loads of missed finds.

As for bashing I don't worry about it because those who do it always have a job or pension behind them providing income that their metal detecting can't.

I, personaly, don't know anyone who can truly say they make a living at metal detecting (finding things) as a sole source. I keep thinking of what my uncle told me many years ago.... he is a bowler.... probably the BEST lefty in the USA. (Bowling with the Champs, Dayton, etc. James Ciezki.... it's in the record.{ i.e.Google Mar 4, 1975}...). I asked him if he could make a living at bowling. He said, "Maybe. but then it would be like work, and I would hate it!" I have no doubts some could make a living at detecting ( not selling detectors) but then it would be alot like work and would it then be fun? TTC

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well we had five in the U.K. a few years back (no pension, no other income) but you have to have no kids or they must have left home, house paid off and no debts. That's the first thing I did. Pay the house off. Then think out of the box and get the right equipment. The beach is a great source of everyday spending money plus we hope gold rings. Then its little good searching on land in an aggressive soil area as your not going for numbers of finds but quality that will be of interest to collectors.

The problem is those who are doing well on a regular basis get fed up with arguing the toss over what coil, what detector etc with those who think they are doing well having found four or five rings in the past year and don't bother posting. Its not all beer and skittles though because you can spend a fortune on travel to not much effect. My last trip to New Zealand cost $9000 for my wife and myself and in a month I made $1500. My wife didn't pick up a detector the whole time but spent a load on swimming with dolphins etc. The other drawback is I can now afford to not detect most days but if I stop I get as big as a house so it looks as though I will be doing it till the day I drop.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Terry, The most successful people are those that love there job, no matter what it is and that includes detecting. Frank The Mask  700.jpg Remember how much fun it was toting those weapons around in FL?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread