Need some advice and/or help

eaglewings35

Aug 31, 2010
Clyde, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My cousin and I have been racking our brains trying to figure some things out. My cousin lives on the Colorado River in Texas. We have searched his property for signs of treasure, which we believed to be there. Anyway, there is a maze of tunnels running under his property, parallel to the river. We dont know where the entrance is. My cousin has drilled holes with high pressure water. He knows that he is still drilling till the point that the water stops feeding back out of the hole, then he knows that he has broken through. His neighbor, also a cousin, probably 100 yards next door found a hole in their yard. They put a water hose in it and turned it on and left it running all day. When they got back they could find no signs of the water anywhere, not running back out of the hole or running out of the bank down by the river. We are very limited on funds, so how can we map the tunnels and then enter them to see if what we think is in there, is or not? It is our hopes to find someone with a small (pencil) camera that we can lower into one of the holes and get a look at whats down there. This area is known for indians, spaniards and the KGC. So it aint no telling what might be down there.
What can yall advice or help us to do?
Any body in Texas with a camera or suggestion? Or anyone willing to travel here?

Thanks Kerry

Last edited:
OP
OP
eaglewings35

eaglewings35

Aug 31, 2010
Clyde, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If thems is gophers, man they is HUGE !!!! I have been thinking, I think we are gonna get one of the plumbers who have them camera drain snakes, and get them to come out and snake the tunnel for us. This area is known for the Indians, and the spaniards are known for having travelled the Colorado River and also the KGC has also been in the area. So it is exciting to think what might be in these tunnels. Maybe nuttin, maybe sumthin, who knows !!

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Where on the Colorado? North or south of Austin? That determines rock. North is limestone and possible big caves, south to coast is red soil, no caves and if you go into a hole you will probably not live long. Colorado River was named by spanish for those high red banks downriver way below Austin. In other words, limestone and karst topography may= treasure. Red soils and water may = death. Good luck and good hunting.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Me thinks you're being way to superstitious to think there's automatic treasures in every cavity in the ground "just because the spanish or indians were here". Heck, the Spanish were in my part of CA too, but doesn't mean every cave is going to automatically have treasure in it. You've probably just got some naturally occurring holes in the ground.

OP
OP
eaglewings35

eaglewings35

Aug 31, 2010
Clyde, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Austin, the part of the colorado we are at is North of Austin. And Tom, no I am not being too stupidstious. If you will read a book called "Coronados Children", it mentions that the Spaniards used the Colorado River to transport their goods, and they used a certain area "North of where 2 rivers meet."
That would be the San Saba River and the Colorado River, which is where my family is living, they used this are as a "bank" where they stored all their gold that was being brought in from other states and areas. So, we have some pretty good stuff to go on. It may not lead to nothin, but yet it may !!! Dont want to pass up a chance to find some good stuff !!!

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
eaglewings, I think it's great you and your cousins want to investigate the holes/caverns. A better source of information could
be "Roadside Geology of Texas" which might contain the geological structure on your area. Your library or if not a library in a
larger city has lots of books you can read to learn if any caverns have been found in the area.

"Coronados Children" contains fact mixed with fables. J Frank Dobie was a professor (UT I think) and author of many Texas
legends books. He especially liked stories he gathered from Hispanic Texicans. He wrote them as if they were factual knowing
darn well that a lot of it was superstitious lore.

The Colorado has had eons of time carving on the rock it runs through. There are probably many underground spaces hollowed
out under the River. If you have knowledge of KGC activity in your area TNet has the forum for you. However THers always
want to verify claims as best they can. Not only to look for treasure but mainly to find out fact from fiction.

If there is a Metal Detecting club near you it might pay to attend a meeting and share your stories with others.

K

Kentucky Kache

His neighbor, also a cousin, probably 100 yards next door found a hole in their yard. They put a water hose in it and turned it on and left it running all day.

Well, if nothing else, we've just discovered why Texas has a water shortage.:laughing7:

Get a ground penetrating radar unit. Like everone has one in their garage, right?

OP
OP
eaglewings35

eaglewings35

Aug 31, 2010
Clyde, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Lastleg, I sure hope you dont give up that last leg of yours !! It is toooo hot to be a skootin round on your butt on this hot ground. Not to mention, you will wear out your britches pockets and go home with blisters on your cheeks !!! HAHA
Just Kiddin round !!! Yes, Frank Dobie could definately spin some good yarns. I still have to think that some of it had to be actual factual stories told to him by some old timers who were there. But, the stories he told about this area, some of them are bearing out. So, who knows? As far as the river carving out the tunnels, that very well could be the way it happened, only God knows. But, it definately left some tunnels behind and it could contain some real good stuff. I cant hardly wait to see, but caution trumps stupidity any time !!!!

OP
OP
eaglewings35

eaglewings35

Aug 31, 2010
Clyde, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, if nothing else, we've just discovered why Texas has a water shortage.:laughing7:

Get a ground penetrating radar unit. Like everone has one in their garage, right?

Hey Kentucky Kache I have been trying to find a GPR to rent, which are not bad priced, but after they start adding all the stuff on, like insurance, a charge for getting it ready for me, and such, it starts gettin steep. I still think thet I am gonna drill some more holes and then rent a plumbers snake with a camera and see up close and personal what is and aint there. I know how you rich Kentuckians are, yall use money as a bed fer yer hauses !!! Yep, thats it indeed !!!

K

Kentucky Kache

Hey Kentucky Kache I have been trying to find a GPR to rent, which are not bad priced, but after they start adding all the stuff on, like insurance, a charge for getting it ready for me, and such, it starts gettin steep. I still think thet I am gonna drill some more holes and then rent a plumbers snake with a camera and see up close and personal what is and aint there. I know how you rich Kentuckians are, yall use money as a bed fer yer hauses !!! Yep, thats it indeed !!!

I'd like to find a few mattresses stuffed with money, but it wouldn't be one I owned.:laughing9:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Don,t feel bad K.K.. i woke up last night and some guy was rummaging in my dresser drawers. I asked what are you doing?. He said looking for your money. I said hold on,let me get my pants on and i,ll help you look!

Careful eagle wings35,sounds like fun though. Camera interesting idea.

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You didnt mention how deep your cousin drilled, before punching through. Was it 10ft or 100ft? Somehow, the hole doesnt hold water! :laughing7:

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I guess you think there is a treasure in the area. Assuming it (the treasure) has metal involved with it (either the container is metal, or the treasure itself is metal, gold or silver coins perhaps, whatever, the point being there is a metal involved), then my advice to you would to be to go out and get a frikin metal detector and find the treasure. The tunnels and mapping and pencil cameras take a far back second seat to treasure. Do you want to do a geological survey, or go spelunking, or go treasure hunting?

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope you didn't run into any tunnels built by a drug cartel, that could lead to your early demise :tongue3:

gunntekk1

Mar 19, 2005
Newport PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200 and ACE 250, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maybe the hole is so deep that the water has not reached the top of the hole. Did u try dye testing. get some dye and look for the nearest stream or river and see if u can see dye.

OP
OP
eaglewings35

eaglewings35

Aug 31, 2010
Clyde, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don,t feel bad K.K.. i woke up last night and some guy was rummaging in my dresser drawers. I asked what are you doing?. He said looking for your money. I said hold on,let me get my pants on and i,ll help you look!

Careful eagle wings35,sounds like fun though. Camera interesting idea.

Releventchair, thanks for the laugh !!! I thought it was a good idea, as that is about all we have at the moment, is ideas !!

OP
OP
eaglewings35

eaglewings35

Aug 31, 2010
Clyde, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You didnt mention how deep your cousin drilled, before punching through. Was it 10ft or 100ft? Somehow, the hole doesnt hold water! :laughing7:

I honestly dont know how deep he drilled, and he was using high pressure water to drill with. No, the hole dont hold water, but by george my story does, and I'm sticking to it !!!

OP
OP
eaglewings35

eaglewings35

Aug 31, 2010
Clyde, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess you think there is a treasure in the area. Assuming it (the treasure) has metal involved with it (either the container is metal, or the treasure itself is metal, gold or silver coins perhaps, whatever, the point being there is a metal involved), then my advice to you would to be to go out and get a frikin metal detector and find the treasure. The tunnels and mapping and pencil cameras take a far back second seat to treasure. Do you want to do a geological survey, or go spelunking, or go treasure hunting?

Great idea gleaner, how bout a loan? That is the main reason we havent used that method to pinpoint the treasure, neither one of us has a metal detector, or the money to buy one. Them boogers is too 'spensive !!! All my cousin has is his dowsing rods, but he wont dig without there being confirmation about whats there. Seriously, you got extra money to loan us?

OP
OP
eaglewings35

eaglewings35

Aug 31, 2010
Clyde, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope you didn't run into any tunnels built by a drug cartel, that could lead to your early demise :tongue3:

Me too, It wont be much of a fight with me pointing my finger at them and saying "Ive been told fer years that if I keep pointing my fingers at people that it might go off" Just hang around and see !!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread