How do you get a metal detector on the plane?

Jul 21, 2011
Wv 2 miles from Western,Md
Detector(s) used
Teroso Sand Shark
HEEEEELP! I live in West Virginia, very close to Hagerstown,Md. I fly out this Wednesday to Cancun and I am just now figuring out how to get this thing on the plain. Its not an option NOT to take it! lol I am thinking about maybe finding a box store (if such a thing exist) and having them box it up and then rigging up a handle??? :BangHead: I dunno. I shouldn't have waited until last minute to figure this out.... any suggestions would be great.
Oh, btw, I am NOT a technical person so taking it apart and getting there and putting my Sand Shark is not an option. lol

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure about shipping to other countries but when I was on my paintball team around the whole 911 time.
You couldn't fly with anything even remotely resembling any type of weapon.
We would call the hotel we were staying at and see if they would accept packages for guests. 99.5% of the time they said yes.
We would just box our paintball guns & equpt. up and send them UPS to the hotel the week before we left. We never had a problem and must have shipped our stuff over 40 times in 3 yrs. You can have UPS make labels for round trip shipping or do it online. Then all you do is repackage your stuff at the end of the trip tell UPS to pick up your package or tell the front desk to to call UPS for a pick up. If you do it in the beginning you get tracking numbers ahead of time so you always know where your stuff is at coming and going.

Viddy

Aug 16, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, F2, Etrac, T2, V3i, AT Pro, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Vanquish 540, Go-Find 66, F5, Q60, Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have heard that you should pack the poles in your luggae and take the coil and control pod in your carry on. Take a set of batteries to turn on to show what it is, if needed, and take info about the model and to show it's a metal detector.

have heard from a few people that have flown with them and they did this and TSA gave them absolutely no issues.

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, I guess the best bet would be to call the TSA and find out.
The viddy's post would be a good back up plan.

ATPRoDon

Nov 26, 2007
Griffin, GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI, Whites V3i, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I fly with my Metal Detector all the time. I put everything in my suitcase except the display box which I put in my backpack. I also carry my pinpointer in my backpack too. TSA has never questioned it at all, and I have done this at least 10 times if not more.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Barrell

Jul 27, 2012
Fort Pierce,FL
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'm not sure about shipping to other countries but when I was on my paintball team around the whole 911 time.
You couldn't fly with anything even remotely resembling any type of weapon.
We would call the hotel we were staying at and see if they would accept packages for guests. 99.5% of the time they said yes.
We would just box our paintball guns & equpt. up and send them UPS to the hotel the week before we left. We never had a problem and must have shipped our stuff over 40 times in 3 yrs. You can have UPS make labels for round trip shipping or do it online. Then all you do is repackage your stuff at the end of the trip tell UPS to pick up your package or tell the front desk to to call UPS for a pick up. If you do it in the beginning you get tracking numbers ahead of time so you always know where your stuff is at coming and going.
I flew 4 days after 911 with a rifle and a handgun. No problem. We actualy checked in quiker as they had a seperate line for us so we could show are guns were unloaded.

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Barrell said:
I flew 4 days after 911 with a rifle and a handgun. No problem. We actualy checked in quiker as they had a seperate line for us so we could show are guns were unloaded.

Ok, either you're a cop or military or you live out west where there still are some American freedoms left.
I live on the east coast in NJ. We mostly fly out of Newark International Airport which is the main airport for New York City.
Maybe because it happened in our back yard but the security was tight. I remember flying from here to Oklahoma, on the way out (Newark) you couldn't even carry a cigarette lighter, or matches on you, they made you throw it out while you were in line.
In Oklahoma I remember being in line and asking where you throw out the lighters and the guy just looked at me funny. So I threw it in the tray with the rest of my stuff and walked through the metal detector. Nobody cared that I had a lighter on the plane in Oklahoma, but in Jersey, it was a Federal Offense! We thought it was strange that the rules were different in different places that you went in the U.S. and while flying the same airline.

MADJOKER

Jun 25, 2011
Missouri City, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 350
I took mine to Florida this June. Packed it and my sand scoop in my suitcase (was going to the beach) I had no trouble at all.

Barrell

Jul 27, 2012
Fort Pierce,FL
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Ok, either you're a cop or military or you live out west where there still are some American freedoms left.
I live on the east coast in NJ. We mostly fly out of Newark International Airport which is the main airport for New York City.
Maybe because it happened in our back yard but the security was tight. I remember flying from here to Oklahoma, on the way out (Newark) you couldn't even carry a cigarette lighter, or matches on you, they made you throw it out while you were in line.
In Oklahoma I remember being in line and asking where you throw out the lighters and the guy just looked at me funny. So I threw it in the tray with the rest of my stuff and walked through the metal detector. Nobody cared that I had a lighter on the plane in Oklahoma, but in Jersey, it was a Federal Offense! We thought it was strange that the rules were different in different places that you went in the U.S. and while flying the same airline.
Three of us with guns flew out of Phila for a hunting trip in Idahao. I pulled my handgun out right at the counter and showed the cylinder was empty. It was no big deal.
I live in south jersey in the summer (Brigantine) I went to a Flyers game a couple years ago and I have a PA consealed permit. I had a 38 snubbie on me as we were going out later to a famous restaurant in a bad neighborhood. When we got to the line to get into the hockey game they were running metal detectors over everybody. I went up to a cop and told him I was armed. He said just knock on that door labeled security. They let me in. Told me to pick any gun safe from about 200 on the wall and take the key. I got into the game 10 minutes ahead of my friends who wernt armed and had to wait for them inside the door.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have flown with metal detectors. If as a carry-on, it must fit in the overhead or under the seat. As a checked bag you probably want it in a hardcase to prevent the gorrillas from destroying it! TTC

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
You can go rent(Edwin Watts golf I think) a hardshell traveling case for a set of clubs. The detector fits nicely inside.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can go rent(Edwin Watts golf I think) a hardshell traveling case for a set of clubs. The detector fits nicely inside.
I use my "long gun" case. Gets QUICK looks! TTC

GoGoGopher

Jun 24, 2011
Syracuse, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac - 11" Pro, 6" EQ2 coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those things are like BA Barrackus...You gotta knock em out before you can get em on a plane...j/k

HH,

S

stefen

I use a soft canvas carry-on...break the MD into small components and you're off and running...

If inspected, simply turn it on...

Do not put any knives of digging tools in the duffle...

Have never had a problem...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread