Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plug Cutter you have your head on straight, You know as well as everyone else on this forum, Whats right and whats wrong. You do what lets you look at yourself in the mirror and be Happy in what you see.......And you'll never go wrong!.......HH.....:thumbsup:

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope you have a great hunt, plug cutter! With the attitude you have, your treasures will be many.

Anita

P.S. It sounds like your folks raised a great kid! (You can tell them I said this).

attempted recovery

Mar 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what does everyone do if they find jewelry on private property and the owner doesn't know whos it is. Should the owner get it or yourself? and how do you tell the owner that you really want to keep it without getting them "angry"? please reply because im going to ask permission to detect private property for the first time soon.

Whenever i ask permission to detect private property i tell the owner up front that i keep my finds, unless there is something specific they would like me to look out for. There is no reason for me to detect private property knowing i can't keep what i find.

tesorobandit

May 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
tesoro vaquero, bandidoII Umax, garrett 250, ETG ( eyes to the ground)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the best luck to you in your hunt. we don't find treasure, we build our worth. Have fun researching your finds, sharing your knowledge with others, and who knows, you could find the next Staffordshire cache-found with permission AND an offer to share. what goes around...
Whenever i ask permission to detect private property i tell the owner up front that i keep my finds, unless there is something specific they would like me to look out for. There is no reason for me to detect private property knowing i can't keep what i find.

OP
OP
P

Plug cutter

Aug 1, 2012
Nashville TN
Detector(s) used
Garret At Pro, Pro pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How exatly do you tell them that you want to keep any jewelry until you find the owner or if it is theirs?

oldsalty19

Silver Member
May 29, 2011
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's your conscience......if it is something "personal" ring, necklass, something old, if the owners are, I would let them know and let them decide.......you would be doing, I think, the right thing.....if it is just coins and such, put it in your pocket......HH

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
attempted recovery said:

It's not all about the keep dude.

bosco

Mar 23, 2012
knoxville Illinois
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So lets say you spend five hours out of your day going through someones property that you have asked and received permission to hunt in. At the end of you day you decide that the right thing to do is go show the owner everything that you found...and they tell you they want to keep all of it...or they just pick out the nice shiny silver coins and keep those....then what? If its the PO is a person I know then I have no problem with showing them anything or even letting them have a thing or two. Its the people I don't know are the ones I don't show everything too...over the years I have had some people want to keep the clad I've found in their yards...not that I care about clad but it just seems kind of selfish to me.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the best luck to you in your hunt. we don't find treasure, we build our worth. Have fun researching your finds, sharing your knowledge with others, and who knows, you could find the next Staffordshire cache-found with permission AND an offer to share. what goes around...

I totally like & get your attitude. Many of the owners we share our knowledge & history with want VERY LITTLE. They are happy that we share our finds & experience with them. I go away happy that I have 'taught' them something they didn't know about their land, & it cost me a couple of buttons, but at least I did it openly & honestly.

Last edited:

cactusrat

Jun 27, 2012
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Well said!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for replying so quickly ,and I have decided that after I ask if I can help them locate anything. I will say I will show them everything and keep my promise. I will also try and work out all the details before I swing the detector.

Good, I KNOW you will do yourself proud, & have a great collection to prove it.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So lets say you spend five hours out of your day going through someones property that you have asked and received permission to hunt in. At the end of you day you decide that the right thing to do is go show the owner everything that you found...and they tell you they want to keep all of it...or they just pick out the nice shiny silver coins and keep those....then what? If its the PO is a person I know then I have no problem with showing them anything or even letting them have a thing or two. Its the people I don't know are the ones I don't show everything too...over the years I have had some people want to keep the clad I've found in their yards...not that I care about clad but it just seems kind of selfish to me.

Excuses, you sound like many broken records I have heard before. You defend your way & I will keep smiling. Because until YOU ACTUALLY show them EVERYTHING, you have little or NO EXPERIENCE to share.(just WHAT IF's) You do yours & I will do mine.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How exatly do you tell them that you want to keep any jewelry until you find the owner or if it is theirs?

If they are as straight up as you, they will be happy if you can return it. If you can't I'm sure they will be happy you can keep it. Because MOST reasonable people reward those that do good, if you show them, like many don't & your interested in getting it back to those that lost it, then you will be happy & rewared. TRUST ME.
If you return it to the owners because they lost it, I hope you feel GREAT how ever much it might have been worth on the market.

OP
OP
P

Plug cutter

Aug 1, 2012
Nashville TN
Detector(s) used
Garret At Pro, Pro pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you know it any time i can find the owner i'd be as happy as if i could keep it ;]

attempted recovery

Mar 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they are as straight up as you, they will be happy if you can return it. If you can't I'm sure they will be happy you can keep it. Because MOST reasonable people reward those that do good, if you show them, like many don't & your interested in getting it back to those that lost it, then you will be happy & rewared. TRUST ME.
If you return it to the owners because they lost it, I hope you feel GREAT how ever much it might have been worth on the market.

What world do you live in guy? Fantasy world? I would like to think that most people are honest in my little part of this "fantasy world" but you know what? they are not ,,, i.e. oh i am so happy you found that valuable item "you just keep it" that (ain't going to happen) guy. and like i said in my previous post i let the landowner know (upfront) that i keep my finds, and i have no reason to detect private property where i know i can't keep my finds. And any metal detector hobbyist who says they want to give their finds to anyone (landowner) in my opinion is a (not being honest person) to put it softly.

mariposagold

Bronze Member
May 1, 2012
Mariposa, California. USA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Classic SL, Bullseye II Probe, Garrett Groundhog.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow, the intensity of this discussion just blows me away. I have seen a multitude of property that I would love to hunt. I've asked a neighbor, who blew my off, and said his son has a metal detector. But I also have standing offers to detect some fabulous properties. I fully expect that my professional relationship with these people and a very straight forward verbal agreement to split to value of my monetary finds should suffice. I barely have time to hunt the tot lots, schools and parks in my neighborhood. I've only covered a small percentage of those. It would take me months to hunt all the properties that I have standing offers on.

I talk to nearly everyone about MDing. I show off my finds and that leads to offers and permission to hunt. So I don't get to hunt my Neighbors Victorian, instead, I hunt a friends 191? house with a huge yard. My finds are not a profit making Enterprise, it's a hobby. If it pays for better equipment or my power bill, great. But it's still a hobby. I don't have to keep something to have the joy of finding it. It's the hunt and bragging rights.

Just my two wheaties worth. Happy hunting to you all.

attempted recovery

Mar 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to make one statement about metal detecting. I am a relic hunter. I am not looking to find a treasure chest. i like looking (detecting for) relics in which most have no monetary value. I do not ask permission to search someones private property in hopes of finding their "ball canning jar full of gold coins", i ask permission in hopes of maybe finding old relics, i research the property in advance to see if it has any relic possibilities and then i ask permission ( and let the landowner know upfront that i keep my finds) and ask if there is any thing in particular they want me to look out for.

attempted recovery

Mar 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mariposagold
agreement to split value of my monetary finds

And who are you the "BOOM BABY" guy? you know that show is fake right? " agreement to split my value of monetary finds" (there is almost no value in the majority of relics found) unless you get real lucky and i don't.:tongue3:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions